[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

I tried but I can boot and see usb drive at chameleon. And I clicked usb drive, then white screen.

Please let me know what I am wrong.

ATi 6000 series card by any chance? If not boot with -v and post screenshots

Resoconto installazione 23-ott-2012.txt

Hi, i'm italian so i could do some grammar errors :)

when i boot it says that i can't install mac on this machine because is not compatible...now i will upload the log that i've saved..can someone help me please?

Use a different smbios, you've used one from an older mac that doesn't support mountain lion. Don't worry about being too strict with the smbios, just find something that resembles your machine but is modern enough. See here for compatible macs:

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Hi, I've downloaded the ML App from the appStore but i can't find the "Shared Resources" folder inside the package contents of teh Install App, I've enabled the hidden files no folder with that name is there.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

CAN'T REACH ML INSTALLATION SCREEN

Hi. I'm trying to install ML on my hacktintosh that I've been running SL 10.6.8 on for quite a while and have followed this guide (thanks for the guide!). However, when I try to boot the USB stick I created my machine reboots before I get to the installation screen.

The last thing I see when I run with the verbose flag is:

Starting Darwin x86_64

Boot Args: uuid=9b98.... rd=*uuid npci=0x2000 -v

I chose imac8,1 as the smbios. My rig specs are:

Core2Duo E6400

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

2GB RAM

Asus 8400GS Video

Could somebody please help me take the next step to reach the installation screen?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot to go with my last post attached!

post-1017316-0-81192200-1351743485_thumb.jpg

Hey all, So i followed the instructions to the letter... except that it is 10.8.2 not 10.8

I can boot into ML picture looks great but have a HUGE problem...

No internet... So I cant install DSDT editor as it needs a Java 6 Runtime environment etc...

My Specs are in my sig...

could it by that i am using the UEFI bios??

Also my AMD Radeon HD 5870 shows up as a 5000.... any way to correct this?

Thanks

OK, since your posting I'll assume you can access the internet with something at least. There's DSDT way and non-DSDT way, or you can even download Java from Oracle using another machine, here is link to latest OSX build

Non-DSDT fix for 5870, add the following to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Uakari</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Specifying the number of ports is not mandatory, but a good idea

Also LSPCI.zip can be used for additional PCI device info without need for Java unlike with SystemInfo.app which does require Java.Once installed and rebooted, terminal command to get divice list with Device and Vendor ID's:

lspci -b -nn

2 options for ethernet, official Realtek RTGNICv2.0.6For10.7.zip or Lnx2mac's version RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg.zip

Both have their own installer, don't allow both to be installed at the same time, one or the other. Also if neither will allow ethernet to work, change location either from /System/Library/Extension and instead inside the IO80211Family.kext plugins folder, or if already in plugins folder, try instead in System/Library/Extension. Use kext wizard to install and repair permission and boot cache after any changes, or use terminal to instal and repair permissions and cache with it. To install with Terminal, open terminal from /Application/Utilities/ and type:

cp -R

then drag and drop the kext into terminal window, then type the desired install location and hit enter. Example:

sudo cp -R /Users/eep357/Downloads/RTL81169.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/

*Note the space between the file path and the path to be installed to.

Then to repair permissions type:

diskutil repairPermissions /

to rebuild cache type:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

• Like 1

OK, since your posting I'll assume you can access the internet with something at least. There's DSDT way and non-DSDT way, or you can even download Java from Oracle using another machine, here is link to latest OSX build

Non-DSDT fix for 5870, add the following to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Uakari</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Specifying the number of ports is not mandatory, but a good idea

Also LSPCI.zip can be used for additional PCI device info without need for Java unlike with SystemInfo.app which does require Java.Once installed and rebooted, terminal command to get divice list with Device and Vendor ID's:

lspci -b -nn

2 options for ethernet, official Realtek RTGNICv2.0.6For10.7.zip or Lnx2mac's version RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg.zip

Both have their own installer, don't allow both to be installed at the same time, one or the other. Also if neither will allow ethernet to work, change location either from /System/Library/Extension and instead inside the IO80211Family.kext plugins folder, or if already in plugins folder, try instead in System/Library/Extension. Use kext wizard to install and repair permission and boot cache after any changes, or use terminal to instal and repair permissions and cache with it. To install with Terminal, open terminal from /Application/Utilities/ and type:

cp -R

then drag and drop the kext into terminal window, then type the desired install location and hit enter. Example:

sudo cp -R /Users/eep357/Downloads/RTL81169.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/

*Note the space between the file path and the path to be installed to.

Then to repair permissions type:

diskutil repairPermissions /

to rebuild cache type:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Ok, so I have the video card reporting normally except for one thing... The card is reporting as a 5870 but under PCIe Lane Width it shows x8.. its plugged into as x16 slot.... is this just a reporting issue or is there something wrong?

Audio and ethernet are working as is the trim enabler...

so far all seems to be working awesome just need to test the video card to make sure its working 100% ill report back shortly

Thanks eep

CAN'T REACH ML INSTALLATION SCREEN

Hi. I'm trying to install ML on my hacktintosh that I've been running SL 10.6.8 on for quite a while and have followed this guide (thanks for the guide!). However, when I try to boot the USB stick I created my machine reboots before I get to the installation screen.

The last thing I see when I run with the verbose flag is:

Starting Darwin x86_64

Boot Args: uuid=9b98.... rd=*uuid npci=0x2000 -v

I chose imac8,1 as the smbios. My rig specs are:

Core2Duo E6400

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

2GB RAM

Asus 8400GS Video

Could somebody please help me take the next step to reach the installation screen?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot to go with my last post attached!

OK, so I'm replying to my own post just in case it helps somebody else who finds themselves in the same situation. I managed to get to the installer by remaking my USB stick. I turned out that I had made two mistakes: (i) I had chosen MBR instead of GUID when I originally partitioned my USB stick - it only works with GUID / GPT; and (ii) I had chosen the wrong SMBIOS.plist - my tip here is to choose a mac model that is close to your CPU AND your graphics card. I had only chosen a model close to my CPU but which had a different graphics card and this was also causing me problems.

I hope this helps someone!

• Like 2

Hello,

Currently in 10.6.6 (using the blackch great bootdisc), i want to upgrade to ML..

I have tried two times to follow the guide but i have a problem !

I success to start from the USB key, i also access to the chameleon bootloader, but when i select the usb key for launching the ML installation my computer reboot..

Moreover, if i start from the chameleon bootloader from the harddisk in order to launch the usb key i have this message : "efi inject get devprop string null trying stringdata"

Does it mean something for someone ?

(i use the configuration files from black-ch at this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/62111-how-to-asus-p5k-vm-guide/page__st__1200 Except the wifi device we almost have the same hardware...)

So Everything was working amazingly, Had a 24" TV hooked up by HDMI and things booted fine. I now have since upgraded to my 30" SyncMaster 305t and i get picture for bios, selection menu and the Apple grey logo, BUT when it gets to the login screen i loose image... I am Hooked up by Dual DVI-D, and the cable is in the port closest to the PCI-e slot and it is also the bottom port.

I have to unplug the DVI cable and then plug it in again to get the picture... Anyway i can fix this???

• 2 weeks later...

I get this error after using this guide and booting from my USB key:

201211193347.jpg

Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer.

I think it have something to do with my SMBios, tried using the iMac 12.2 as suggested.

When I choose Restore from backup the Utility options also becomes available, so I could format my boot drive as Journaled and make it ready for install, but still same result.

201211193348.jpg

My USB key root folder looks like this:

20121120080117pm.png

My /Ekstra folder looks like this:

20121120080123pm.png

What am I doing wrong and how to resolve it so I can install my OS X???

Hardware is a ASRock B75-M ITX motherboard with an Ivy Bridge 3225 i3 CPU, onboard graphics HD4000 and 8GB total DDR1600 RAM.

its almost certainly a smbios issue; your extra folder his called "Ekstra" change it to "Extra"

Ah I see... Will try that... What about the SMBios it self - should I try with a different profile for a Ivy Bridge setup, which one fits best? (have heard some say MacPro3.1 should be a better choice?)

You really don't need to be too strict with smbios, if imac 12.2 doesn't work try mac book air 5.2 (or any other smbios with hd4000 graphics as part of it).

People use MacPro 3.1 because it used to be a good generic one for LGA775 so distros etc use it. I'd be surprised if it didn't work straight away with the correct extra folder name.