HP Pavilion DV7-6c90us best way to install?

TyMiles2012

3 posts in this topic

I'm asking this because even though it's a DV7 series, they're all SO different individually for some reason. A friend of mine got a DV7 and it looks so much different than mine.

I just want to know if anybody can give me any specific instructions for this specific model if that can help, because I failed miserably last few times I've tried, even though I've had it running on the first shot on my older netbook, which crashed the system when I tried upgrading to Lion while trying to access iTunes.

Specs:

Intel Inside Core i7-2670QM Quad Core @2.20GHz

AMD Radeon HD 7470M Graphics and Intel HD 3000 (Switchable Graphics, switched to Fixed in BIOS)

8GB DDR3 RAM

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (WiFi)

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet)

If there are anymore specs that could be important, let me know. I'm currently dualbooting between Windows 8 Release Preview and Ubuntu 12.04.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

It's been months, I'm still taking some spare free time in trying to get this going. I realized that my network card is near impossible to get working, but I've had success in using EasyTether with my Android phone, I'll look for a microUSB WiFi adapter that is known to work eventually. Here's what I've gotten done so far.

First thing, I've heard with these Pavilion laptops that only the Intel Graphics work, I'm fine with that. If I were to try any games, it would be a source title such as Counter Strike, those work on the Intel HD 3000 like butter on PC already.

Now from what I've tried, I can't get past the Bluetooth on boot up to the installer. I have iAtkos on an 8GB flash drive, that's the only drive I have. I had to use the Chameleon Installer for Windows. I plan on buying a second flash drive today so I can try installing U n i b e a s t using a Virtual PC. Why? Because the version of Chameleon I'm using might be outdated since I used the Windows Installer version from 2009.

Now, I'm stuck here right now. I use these flags, partially recommended by another Pavilion user, different model though, other parts added/changed by me to get this far.

arch=x86_64 cpus=1 busratio=20 npci=0x2000 -x -v

Every time I don't get a kernel panic, my computer hangs at ...

[iOBluetoothHICIController::setConfigState] calling registerService

EDIT: Got my second flash drive just now, I should be able to try U n i b e a s t .

EDIT2: It said "boot0: Done" then went straight to Windows 7. I'll try an updated version of Chameleon somewhere.

• 1 year later...

i have the same laptop. Only specs which are different is 750gb hdd, and 6gb of ram. Set to Fixed in the BIOS as well (switchable gfx). I tried your boot arguments at startup and it booted to the installer, but then wouldn't detect any hdd's installed in the system. Without the arguments i get a ACPI KP. I have the latest bios by HP as well. Did you get it working? Does it have something to do with the sandy bridge i7 installed in here ? Is there something i should add to the installer? i;m using 10.9 (same one u used) installer.  Let me know. This is a pretty good laptop;. I'd like to be able to dual boot with 7 if possible.