Mountain Lion on Intel 945GC chipset. Will it work?

11 posts in this topic

Hello guys

I wonder if I will be able to install ML on my hack based on 945GC Intel chipset which is itself is 32bit one.

Now I run SL in 64 bit kernel without a hitch though.

I was not able to find any info related to my question though I've tried.

Thank you for the answers guys.

OS X Mountain Lion is full x64 bits coded, no place for x32 kernel or x32 bits kexts.

Even you run SL x64 on your machine, this x64 bits kernel can run x32 bits kexts

On OS X Mountain Lion, it's definitely over, only x64 bits kernel with x64 bits kexts

Maybe is time to evolve your config, right ? :)

Cordially

I dare to disagree with your statement. You can't run 64bit extensions on 32 bit kernel nor vise versa.

By Apple standards, formally, I'm not able to run SL in 64 bit mode yet I do because bootloader fakes it.

OS X Mountain Lion is full x64 bits coded, no place for x32 kernel or x32 bits kexts.

Even you run SL x64 on your machine, this x64 bits kernel can run x32 bits kexts

On OS X Mountain Lion, it's definitely over, only x64 bits kernel with x64 bits kexts

Maybe is time to evolve your config, right ? :)

Cordially

Hi Sergiy, I'm using/testing Mountain Lion with vanilla kernel (64 bits) with my Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C, with a E4600 2.4 Core2Duo. Using latest fakeSMC 2003 from kozlec.

Thank you, OcciJano, for the answer.

Did any problems arise? What about video I wonder if you get GMA950 fully working?

Could you please elaborate on the method of installation? Even links to get ideas will do. I just missed the whole Lion thing)

Hi Sergiy, I'm using/testing Mountain Lion with vanilla kernel (64 bits) with my Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C, with a E4600 2.4 Core2Duo. Using latest fakeSMC 2003 from kozlec.

There was some 64bit GMA950 extensions posted from 10.6.2 the other day, only release to have them because they aren't very good. You can run 64bit because of capable CPU and emulated EFI. Still debating on trying those GMA950 kexts on my macbook which cannot run 64bit due to 32 bit EFI and I can't fake one cause I already got one :( DP1 Kernel did have 32bit support so I may play with that if I get bored.

found link [Partial Fix] Intel GMA950 for OS X 10.8

Hello sergiy,

Long story short, yes you can have Mountain Lion on your 32-bit desktop. Maybe the bootloader fakes it like you said.

I just installed Mountain Lion on my old 32-bit desktop and it is fully working. I used the myHack method, it is the easiest one.

Search for myHack page and take a look at the Downloads page, it has everything explained to get the latest OS X working with no problems.

I dare to disagree with your statement. You can't run 64bit extensions on 32 bit kernel.

By Apple standards, formally, I'm not able to run SL in 64 bit mode yet I do because bootloader fakes it.

well reread my comment and tell me where I said such a thing ? :huh:

nor vise versa.

you can't run a 32 bits extension on a 64 bit kernel ? :lol:

Hi Sergiy another way to install ML GM is to use a real Mac, I did it this way: used a real Mac and a USB HD (GUID) with two spare patitions, one for the installer 5gb, and one for the system 15gb aprox. booted from the installer to install in the 15gb.

Then I started my GA-945GCM-S2C from Lion and used kext wizard to add kozlec'ś fakeSMC to ML in /System/Library/Extensions, also installed the latest Chameleon 2003 to the ML partition, added DSDT for my GA-945GCM-S2C and smbios to /extra. Then I used Dr. Hurt 10.6.2 64bits 950GMA kexts.

Thank you guys,

OcciJano, I will just run installer from my working 10.6.8 installation while pointing to another drive. That is how I've always installed it.

Then I will install Chameleon (or should you recommend different bootloader for ML?) on that drive and add needed extensions (FakeSMC is still a must I believe and for others I will research the forum)