T-Bone90

T-Bone90

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Hello,

I have a PC with OS X Lion.

Can I install Mountain Lion over the Lion Installation or must I install complete new??

And how?

maly70

maly70

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Yes u can install ML over Lion partition without erasing lion partition and it will update lion to ML without loosing any data .

if u have a full version image u can do that by creating a ML usb installation usb and then install it over lion without erasin Lion partition

helob

helob

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I tried by mounting Mountain Lion_GM.dmg in Lion and run the installer. Installation went smoothly but on reboot, it still show Lion. Not trace of ML at all.
Would appreciate if you can share with us the steps you took to install ML over Lion.
TQ

kockaspiton

kockaspiton

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'd be also interested in this.

johncool

johncool

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
You have to create a USB disk installer as maly70 said. Follow one of the guides available on the forum to do such a thing, or check http://myhack.sojugarden.com/. Only after you've done this and booted from the USB installer can you upgrade from Lion to ML.

tsddave

tsddave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Anyone know of a way to install ML Golden onto a Lion install without having purchased Lion?
Yeah I need a medicament :P

nyolc8

nyolc8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
:| You just start the ML installer and install it onto Lion without formating... and done.

tsddave

tsddave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

:| You just start the ML installer and install it onto Lion without formating... and done.

I will need one to upgrade my unpaid for lion install to mountain lion. As I understand it the golden master asks for a Apple store password and checks if you have paid for Lion.I havent :P

subxero

subxero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

I will need one to upgrade my unpaid for lion install to mountain lion. As I understand it the golden master asks for a Apple store password and checks if you have paid for Lion.I havent :P

Facepalm! :hysterical:This community is starting to attract the weird ones lately. If you want to install OSX without learning anything about it and how it works, I'd suggest a site called t0nym@cx86.c0m. You may feel more at home there. :glare:

tsddave

tsddave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Facepalm! :hysterical:This community is starting to attract the weird ones lately. If you want to install OSX without learning anything about it and how it works, I'd suggest a site called t0nym@cx86.c0m. You may feel more at home there. :glare:

How very arrogant of you...
I think its a shame when people with low maturity make such comments. If you know so much why not just help out and advise? Its called a community. Yes im new to osx and yes im needing help and yes thats why I posted on a forum to ask. Facepalm back at you!

nyolc8

nyolc8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
tsddave: I already answered to you... It doesn't matter where did you got Lion or where did you got ML. The install method is the same.

tsddave

tsddave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

tsddave: I already answered to you... It doesn't matter where did you got Lion or where did you got ML. The install method is the same.

Yes and thanks alot for that :)
Sorry but I got sidetracked by the flameboy.

invisiblesurfer

invisiblesurfer

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

nyolc8 - one question from my end: In order to upgrade to ML (rathen than install from scratch) do you need to upgrade via the in-OSX app or by the usb image?

Thanks

tsddave

tsddave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
I tried using the OSX app to upgrade my Lion to ML Golden master from the desktop. I did an install process and restarted my computer but nothing changed.
I havent tried usb method because im concerned that it will wipe out my install of lion and I dont want to lose everything.

Crabhunter

Crabhunter

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Have you considered a second hard drive? they're not that expensive and you can get used to ML, gradually install all your apps and settings and when you're happy format the original drive and use for data.
Mike

tsddave

tsddave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Sadly thats out of the question for me, ive already maxed out the slots for hard drives on my pc. Having OSX Lion on one, Windows 7 on another and various storage drives.

I see the Apple store is selling this as of today so im thinking just buy it and hope it installs from the desktop. I dont really understand why some can install from desktop and others cant.

nyolc8

nyolc8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
On PCs, the desktop-install app simply not working. On PC, you can only update with booting into installer media, then install osx onto Lion partition without formating.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 931 posts

On PCs, the desktop-install app simply not working. On PC, you can only update with booting into installer media, then install osx onto Lion partition without formating.

This is not entirely true.
If you are using a DUET EFI bases bootlader such as Clover or XPC, they reboot after the preparation stage of the app (from MAS) and continue with the installation routine like on real Apple hardware ....

CaiqueAraujo

CaiqueAraujo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
http://ssgoku129.wor...e-using-######/ worked for me in any version

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I believe simply running the app doesn't work because that assumes you create a 8GB partition where it copies itself to, in order to resume the install after restarting? This is how real Macs do it. I could be wrong, but I remember Lion upgrades neeeding an 8gb partition on your HDD.

Going with the usb installer seems easier so that you don't have to mess with your HDD partitions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy