Displayport & 3 displays Sapphire HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 problem with Lion

starobrno1

37 posts in this topic

Is there any way somebody could work something out for the Sapphire HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 videocard so that the displayport will work. Ive been trying to make it work for over a year now but theres no way to make it work no matter what the heck I do. I want three displays and that should be possible with this card and it works in win 8 out of the box with no extra drivers or anything so to me it seems its just crazy it wont work in os x. Ive read up on every bit of info I could find on the internet so Ive tried everything even with Lion with no success.

My mobo is an Asus P6T SE cpu is i7 930 and I use Fabios DST.aml and the rest of the files from that thread so the computer runs really good. It works good with two displays after editing the ati5000controller.kext. AND I have an ACTIVE adapter for the displayport. (Hell this mobo wont even let me use my two good old 7300 gs videocards that works supergood with my GA mobos so is this an Asus problem or what?)

And Yes Im using a modern enough chameleon for this to work and it doesnt matter if I type in GraphicsEnabler=Yes or =No in the org.chameleon.boot.plist

Like I said Ive tried with both snow leo 10.6.8 retail and Lion retail

I think youre right cause it looks like it should work in system settings cause it actually show up there but I just dont get no picture. When I klick on the third display the red square round the display symbols lights up so you can see a little of it in the end of the second display. The problem is I dont use anything like ATY_iniy just the original ATI5000Controller so Im not sure what FB I use at this time. Ive done a whole lot of experimenting though and then I used Vervet.

Edit: I missunderstod about Framebuffer so I tried check out in the plist for the ATIFramebuffer kext but it doent say anything I can underst and I dont really know what to look for lol.

Don't worry too much about not understanding what's going on in the file it wasn't mean to be so easily readable. :P

Okay so let's start with the ports your loaded up FB is recognizing by typing in terminal

ioreg -l | grep ATY

For me, it shows 5 connectors and I can tell the first two (my two DVI ports because I know the ID numbers) are active because if you look under the the ATY,Gibba@0 and ATY,Gibba@1, You'll see a string IODisplayPrefsKey that shows some display information that corresponds to the connection from the gpu to the monitor.

the @ {number here} typically means the connector where in most cases, @0 is your top most DVI, @1 would be the bottom then 2- what ever number would be the other ports going to the right.

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-14%20at%207.34.53%20PM.png

To find out which IDs match with the port you could just trial and error on each port and see which ones the IODisplayPrefsKey changes to.

Now when you run that you should be able to see how many available connections the Vervet FB is allowing you. If anything, you might have to edit the Vervet personality so that it properly recognizes your DP.

Thanks for your help your very kind. Im gonna look in to what you say here some more to see if I can learn something, Im an old guy 59 years old so my brain is running a bit slow these days Im afraid lol.

What I did today was replacing langur in the plist of the ati5000controller kext with Vervet, then I tried switching between graphicsenabler no and yes in the orgchameleonboot plist. I also tried adding aticonfig=Vervet to it but non of that made any difference Im afraid lol.

Its just a shame I cant make better use of this computer since it runs so good in all other aspects. I wanna replace my old GA EP45 DS3 Q6600 computer with this one. I have a couple of SSD drives in it with snowleo and lion and even a caviar black satadrive with win8 on it and it runs just so good except I cant get three monitors to work on it with osx. With win8 it just works.

Ive tried with my two 7300 gs Nvidia cards that works supergood even up to four displays with the old GA mobo and now with this Sapphire 5750 card and it just wont work what the heck I even do lol.

Anyway thanks again for your help.

Wow, woulda never suspected I was dealing with a hackintosh veteran over there no problem though, always glad to help out.

I think for your card though Vervet is the best bet but if you don't mind try running that command and paste a screenshot of what it displayed.

I'm running on my ol reliable GA-EP43-UD3L that's been running strong since 10.5 days and it has never disappointed although I want something newer because my aging OC'd Q8200 is showing it's age a bit when it comes on the rendering. Have you by chance tried using the 5750 and a 7300 gs card to work in tandem? I know I've seen on netkas two different gpus running together in one system.

Im afraid mine looks nothing like yours theres no ATY,gibba@ at all in there far as I can see lol

| | | | | "ATY,RevID" = 268864481

| | | | | "ATY,vram_base" = <00000000>

| | | | | "ATY,RefClock" = 2700

| | | | | "name" = "ATY_GPU"

| | | | | "ATY,remap-size" = 536870912

| | | | | "ATY,SCLK" = 69999

| | | | | "ATY,Part#" = "113-E14802-L03"

| | | | | "ATY,bin_image" = <55aa7ce925020000000000000000000000000000$

| | | | | "ATY,MCLK" = 115000

| | | | | "ATY,memsize" = 1073741824

| | | | | "ATY,SurfInfo" = <c87dcc6d80ffffff>

| | | | | "ATY,RefCLK" = <8c0a0000>

| | | | | "ATY,drvincom" = <84ac45817fffffff00202a0f80ffffff>

| | | | | "ATY,Zonalis" = {"aty_config"={"CFG_NO_PP"=Yes}}

| | | | | "ATY,Langur" = {"aty_config"={"CFG_FORCE_ICLK"=Yes}}

| | | | | "ATY,Orangutan" = {"aty_config"={"CFG_GPIO_HIGH"=131104}}

| | | | | "ATY,Hoolock" = {"aty_config"={"CFG_FORCE_ICLK"=Yes}}

| | | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@0 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000004$

| | | | | | "ATY,ActiveFlags" = 16

| | | | | | "ATY,ControlFlags" = 20

| | | | | | "name" = "ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer"

| | | | | +-o ATY_ATY,RadeonFramebuffer <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x10$

| | | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@1 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000004$

| | | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@2 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000004$

| | | | | | "ATY,ActiveFlags" = 1

| | | | | | "ATY,ControlFlags" = 1796

| | | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@3 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000004$

| | | | | | "ATY,ControlFlags" = 516

| | | | | "ATY,cbits" = 2162752

| | | | | "ATY,intrev" = 21

Nah you won't see ATY,Gibba because I'm using a 6870 so that's my FB lol. Your system currently is loading the default Radeon FB it isn't loading up Vervet or where you see the RadeonFrambuffer it would be Vervet. The default FB recognizes 3 ports although the last one doesn't seem to have a @4 next to it so it might be the issue why the 3rd monitor (DP) isn't working.

You think I should go back to vervet in the ati5000controller and run that command in terminal again? I changed it back to langur since it didnt make no difference.

Yeah I have one GA EP35 DS3R hackmac and my main EP45 DS3 and this Asus comp and the GA gear really rocked and probably still do (I mean newer GA hardware). I tell you this Asus mobo really runs good though so it would be cool to get a chance to run it the best it can before I move on to an ivybridge build.

This is what I get with Vervet in the plist

| | | | | "ATY,RevID" = 268864481

| | | | | "ATY,vram_base" = <00000000>

| | | | | "ATY,RefClock" = 2700

| | | | | "name" = "ATY_GPU"

| | | | | "ATY,remap-size" = 536870912

| | | | | "ATY,SCLK" = 69999

| | | | | "ATY,Part#" = "113-E14802-L03"

| | | | | "ATY,bin_image" = <55aa7ce925020000000000000000000000000000$

| | | | | "ATY,MCLK" = 115000

| | | | | "ATY,memsize" = 1073741824

| | | | | "ATY,SurfInfo" = <c8adcd6d80ffffff>

| | | | | "ATY,RefCLK" = <8c0a0000>

| | | | | "ATY,drvincom" = <847c44817fffffff00889b0f80ffffff>

| | | | | "ATY,Zonalis" = {"aty_config"={"CFG_NO_PP"=Yes}}

| | | | | "ATY,Vervet" = {"aty_config"={"CFG_FORCE_ICLK"=Yes}}

| | | | | "ATY,Orangutan" = {"aty_config"={"CFG_GPIO_HIGH"=131104}}

| | | | | "ATY,Hoolock" = {"aty_config"={"CFG_FORCE_ICLK"=Yes}}

| | | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@0 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000004$

| | | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@1 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000004$

| | | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@2 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000004$

| | | | | | "ATY,ControlFlags" = 1796

| | | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@3 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000004$

| | | | | | "ATY,ControlFlags" = 516

| | | | | "ATY,cbits" = 2162752

| | | | | "ATY,intrev" = 21

Sorry about the delay had stuff I needed to do. Theres no way in bad word lol I can make the screendump stick to this reply but youre right it doesnt show under PCI devices in the system info and I guess its the default FB then. Gonna try read up on what to edit and how.

That's alright, we do have lives when we step away from the keyboard and screen. :)

Certainly seems like it's the default one. It should just be a simple string at boot or in your boot.plist saying: AtiConfig:Vervet if you want to use the Vervet FB.

Nope it doesnt do it lol. I tried with GraphicsEnabler yes and no and I tried make a key of the AtiConfig and a string of Vervet and a bunch of combinations. I even tried AtiConfig:Vervet and AtiConfig=Vervet but no luck what the heck I even did lol.

Im using just the "retail" ATI5000Controller.kext with the info for my card pasted in to it (which makes my two DVI ports work and QE), maby thats the problem? Some kind fellow here found out the id for this card shouldnt be in capital letters in the ATI5000Controller.kext plist. After changing that DVI started to work like it should and resolution and QE too, it didnt before. Maby this card is so far of from osx standards so DP just wont work on it.

Maby I should try find 10.6.7 kexts and ATI_init.kext and try and play around with it see what I get.

Ill focus on trying to make a string for my two 7300 gs cards tonight cause if I can make them work thats good enough for me. I only make my hobby music, surf the internet and broadcast web TV with my computers. Though Im starting to build up an interest for video/film but it will still only be at a hobby level so they will do alright for that too at least for me.

Im not sure but about one and a half year later I made them work which is pretty cool and you should take credit for it cause you set me of the right direction so many thanks bud. So tonight I celebrate hurray lol

They work with my GA Ep45-DS3 mobo and very good too. To make them work for the GA mobo all I had to do was edit the NVinject.kext plist with the right NVCap info for the ports for it. NVCap was wrong in apps like EFIstudio etc etc but I found out and fixed it and I even uploaded the kext here and I hope and believe a few people have enjoyed it.

These cards are cheap noname stuff I originally bought from China on Ebay but they work just fine. I actually have four of them but two with a few popped caps but Im gonna get that fixed now. Theyre silent too, so no fans which is cool for my musicmaking

So I have a good Sapphire 5750 card for sale now lol.

Thanks for the help again.

If somebody wants to know what I did to make the 7300 GS cards work with this Asus P6T SE mobo just let me know and Ill uppload a guide on how to do it. Its easy stuff so anybody can do it with EFI studio and a string in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist

You do need to know the NVCap for your card though but if your lucky its the same as mine.

Actually I had to get back to trying to get the Sapphire 5750 ati card work cause I cant get QE enabled for the 7300 gs cards which means a lot of programs wont work at all.

What I did to make them them work at all was I found and old EFI studio the extended version that actually have the 7300 gs cards. The problem with the plist in this app is that the NVCap info is wrong for my ports but I knew that so I fixed it. Then I did it the ordinary way pulling out the second card get the info and then the next and saved the xml to my desktop. Next step I copy paste the two and pull it in to efi studio again to get the hex string. Then I pasted the hex string in the boot plist.

But like I said its useless since I cant get QE working so either theres something more wrong with the string for thew 7300 gs in the efi stuio or something with the Asus mobo. I mean It works so good with my GA mobo with just that modified NVinject.kext I have but theres no way I can make it work with that on my Asus mobo.

Another thing thats kind of crazy is if I use the pcie 16 connector (blue) and the pcie 8 (white) and do the hex string way I get a kernel panic? The pcie 8 alone works though?

Well in many ways its one heck of a motherboard this Asus P6T SE but it sure is strange lol. Its my best hackmac so far but it wont let me use three displays lol, if I dont use my USB videocard ofcourse but its to slow.

Lol you're in a odd situation as I don't see why the 7300 aren't playing nicely with the Asus board and more importantly why does the x16 lane KP.. If you put the 5750 in the x16 lane by itself does it KP as well? It should work in both the x8 and x16 and I do believe there's a way to get the card working it's just that it's not loading the proper framebuffer is the problem. What version of Cham are you using?

The 7300 do work but without QE etc with the mod I did using both 16 lanes but if I do the same mod the same way using the top 16 lane and 8 lane instead it KPs lol.

Yes its just the FB thats the problem Im 100% sure it is.

Not sure exactly what version/number Cham Im using but its new enough that the ATI 5750 card and also the 7300 GS card should work pretty much out of the box lol (which the 7300 gs cards actually do with the GA EP45-DS3 mobo).

Been reading up on numeric code for the different type of ports and order I have on the 5750 card and edited the ATY_init.kext with the info I believe is correct for my card but its the same lol.

Should I trash the AtiController5000.kext when I use the ATY_init.kext?

I found out how to check what Chameleon version I was using on the Asus mobo lol and its 2003. On the GA mobo Im using 1908 so Im trying to go back to that one on my Asus mobo see if it helps.

Well it dint help and all I gain is a high pithed sounding noise that come and go from my second monitor lol.

The KPs sound like a really odd thing o.o

Are you required to use the ATY_init for your card? I also suggest you don't trash the controller as it's needed for your card. How about adding your IDs to the controller and the x3000 accelerator kext and see what happens?

No I dont have to use ATY_init I works in all aspects accept the three display option (havent tried HDMI audio though) with the stock 10.6.8 kext if I add the right ID which I did. So the ATY_init was just something I tried. Gonna see if I can find the x3000 accelerator kext and try it.

When I used the ATY_init without the controller I got a mirrored display on the DP port though which makes it even more strange lol.

Succes in Lion hehe.

For some reason it now works in Lion but whats strange is that its not the DVI HDMI and Displayport that works. Its the two DVI and Displayport that works which should be pretty much impossible as I understand it lol.

Anyway who cares as long as it works. I don't need HDMI audio since I have my sound cards for my music making.

What I did was I made sure I had my IDs in the ATI5000Controller.kext and in the ATIRadeonX3000 kext and entered GraphicsEnabler=Yes in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist thats it nothing for the FB personality.

Maby I can try copy/replace these kexts on my SL drive and see what happens? What you think is worth a try?