Radeon HD6850 - Help me out

33 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have successfully installed Mountain Lion GM and all working except the graphic display is 1400 and rendering very slow.The resolution 1920 is not working.Which kext i have to install in order to work 6850HD and also what is QE/CL and how to install it ? please help me.

Thanks in advance !

Out of curiosity have you fixed disk permissions then rebuild the kernel cache (try booting with -f) since install?

Failing that what brand is your hd6850?

EDIT: Easy way: download kext utility, navigate to /system/library/extensions. Drag and drop ATI6000Controller.kext onto kext utility. Reboot and see what happens.

Out of curiosity have you fixed disk permissions then rebuild the kernel cache (try booting with -f) since install?

Failing that what brand is your hd6850?

EDIT: Easy way: download kext utility, navigate to /system/library/extensions. Drag and drop ATI6000Controller.kext onto kext utility. Reboot and see what happens.

UPDATE : i have booted with -v -f for first boot and also tried kext utility to install the ATI6000Controller.kext extension but it gives white screen.If i remove ATI6000Controller.kext it works but low resolution with laggy graphics.

BTW i have sapphire HD6850 2GB.

Thanks

Try to reinstall the kext then repair disk permissions. I'm on a sapphire hd6870, just done ML today, had the exact same problem. The method described above fixed the issue, have you definitely repaired disk permissions?

Its a known issue with the 6xxx controller and incorrect permissions in the installer. You should be able to remove the kext then reinstall it, fix permissions and be back to normal - have a play about, your issue is definitely in that area.

Try to reinstall the kext then repair disk permissions. I'm on a sapphire hd6870, just done ML today, had the exact same problem. The method described above fixed the issue, have you definitely repaired disk permissions?

Its a known issue with the 6xxx controller and incorrect permissions in the installer. You should be able to remove the kext then reinstall it, fix permissions and be back to normal - have a play about, your issue is definitely in that area.

I have installed ati6000 using kext utility and repaired permissions using disk utility.Then booted with -v -f and it stucked on the ntfs volume name .... or white screen on graphic mode.

Which ati6000controller.kext are you using.The one comes with mountain lion GM or any other ? let me know.

The one which comes with ML.

After research around the internet the recommended fix appears to be to remove the ati6000controller from your install media and make a backup of it. Then install mountain lion (obviously without graphics acceleration). Then after install to install the kext you backed up, fix permissions, rebuild disk cache and reboot. Thats pretty much what I did and it worked.

After the Installation the fix permissions tip is what worked well here (with an ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU 1GB)

The Installation was possible by either:

*removing the ATI6000Controler, from the install. AND inserting the ATIRadeon3000.kext from the DP3

*applying the personality patch to the ATI6000Controller.kext so that display port and all other work

for both *-options booting with GraphicsEnabler=No was required

You need to make some custom personalities in order to get past the white screen,get all connectors to work and get hdmi sound.

Another thing that matters is which model are you using in smbios.I myshelf was getting AGPMcontroller error while i was using imac12,2

so i had to edit the info plist in AGPM.kext too

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273937&hl=&fromsearch=1

You need to make some custom personalities in order to get past the white screen,get all connectors to work and get hdmi sound.

Another thing that matters is which model are you using in smbios.I myshelf was getting AGPMcontroller error while i was using imac12,2

so i had to edit the info plist in AGPM.kext too

http://www.insanelym...l=&fromsearch=1

Oh thats a long tutorial i will check it out.

Thanks

yeah, the tutorial looks messy but actually its an easy procedure.

had the same thoughts and waited until I absolutely needed it :-)

The most important part is the perl script (ati-personality.pl) that gives your the offsets of your GraphicsCard-Personality in the Atix000Controller.kext.

Just run it and find the personality offset (You'll need the xcode command-line tools for the script to work.)

And than all you have to do is change the bytes with a hex-editor.

Maybe you can find the right bytes for your card already posted somewhere.

yeah, the tutorial looks messy but actually its an easy procedure.

had the same thoughts and waited until I absolutely needed it :-)

The most important part is the perl script (ati-personality.pl) that gives your the offsets of your GraphicsCard-Personality in the Atix000Controller.kext.

Just run it and find the personality offset (You'll need the xcode command-line tools for the script to work.)

And than all you have to do is change the bytes with a hex-editor.

Maybe you can find the right bytes for your card already posted somewhere.

Ok shall i use this tutorial or will i wait for the right kext to release by somebody.I am still a newbie only :)

In lion the 6850 works absolutely fine and no problem so far.But i dont find amdaccelerator and even i put ati6000 from lion it stucked at ntfs volume name any ideas?

I dont want to give up help me.

boot in verbose mode (-v),

check what personality chameleon selected for your ATIConfig

post it here, maybe somebody will update that personality in the ML ATI6000 for you with that from LION (if its different)

boot in verbose mode (-v),

check what personality chameleon selected for your ATIConfig

post it here, maybe somebody will update that personality in the ML ATI6000 for you with that from LION (if its different)

I am using the Duckseed personality with atiport 5 but still stuck with "Ntfs version name ... "

I boot it verbose mode.Shall i try different personality like Gibba.?

waiting for your answers

yes, try ATIConfig=Bulrushes too, its for 5 Ports I think.

Maybe a newer Chameleon recognizes your Card better, (like Ermac mine)

ask rockinron what bootloader He uses.

Can i use the same Ati6000 kext on that tutorial as i has the same 6850 but different manufacturer.Will there be any difference ? i will update the chameleon as you said.

Thanks

Anything that brings you towards an understanding of the issue,

and develop an Intuition what can/should be done and how it works.

OSX has a clear and beautiful inner Design like the Desktop Candy.

Thats the hackintoshing fun

..well, at least for me, but looking at this forum and similiar, I think I'm not alone :-)

• Like 1

Using a sapphire HD6870 1GB once I've installed (i.e. remove ati6000controller then installed then re-added it) it will boot with chameleon and and graphicsenabler=no happily. Editing my org.chameleon.boot.plist to graphicsenabler=yes personality=duckweed and use atirom has no difference - the card works perfect with either. I've tested HDMI and DVIx2 but not DP

Using a sapphire HD6870 1GB once I've installed (i.e. remove ati6000controller then installed then re-added it) it will boot with chameleon and and graphicsenabler=no happily. Editing my org.chameleon.boot.plist to graphicsenabler=yes personality=duckweed and use atirom has no difference - the card works perfect with either. I've tested HDMI and DVIx2 but not DP

I dont think much difference between 6870 and 6850.I have done enough replacement so i will reinstall the ML GM again.

Anything that brings you towards an understanding of the issue,

and develop an Intuition what can/should be done and how it works.

OSX has a clear and beautiful inner Design like the Desktop Candy.

Thats the hackintoshing fun

..well, at least for me, but looking at this forum and similiar, I think I'm not alone :-)

Hi Skreel,

I followed your guidelines and put personalities and many like duckweed,bulrush and more but no luck.I can boot in -v -f with GE=no all i have is low resolution with choppy graphics.The card is not even recognized i think.

All this on a display port.Let me know what you think .