Monitor your temperature under OSX

aberracus

117 posts in this topic

This program works GREAT for me. Abit IP35-E board. It sees two of my 3 hard drives, and the CPU temperature is reporting perfectly. I'm using phase change cooling, I have a temperature probe built into the cold plate, and it's indicating within 2-3c of the same temp that this program is picking up. And this program responds a lot faster to changes in CPU load. :) Perfect. 23c at full load, 13c idle. I like it.

Just wanted to report my success.

• 3 weeks later...

The one trick I learned about this program is that you have to install the program first, and not just the widget.

I am only interested in the widget, so I installed that and could only see the temps of my harddrives. It wasn't until I installed the actual program that it prompted me to install the extended sensors.

Once the extended sensors were installed I could see both cores of my CPU.

A quick delete and reinstallation of the Widget and now that sees the temps of the CPU too.

Hope that helps someone.

It wasn't until I installed the actual program that it prompted me to install the extended sensors.

Strange, it's not asking me to install the extended sensors.

The one trick I learned about this program is that you have to install the program first, and not just the widget.

I am only interested in the widget, so I installed that and could only see the temps of my harddrives. It wasn't until I installed the actual program that it prompted me to install the extended sensors.

Once the extended sensors were installed I could see both cores of my CPU.

A quick delete and reinstallation of the Widget and now that sees the temps of the CPU too.

Hope that helps someone.

You rule. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a Q9450 and it doesn't seem to give readings, or it has just locked the sensors. I can only view harddisk temps. It finds all four cores on my processor, but just returns "0", am I supposed to buy the program to get those readings?

thanks a lot for the post ;) it realy helped me ... after instaling iatkos 1.0i my coler and fans stoped working ... even some times the laptop just went down on me becouse of over heating... and after instaling tmp monitor... thay started working like a charm ;) thanks a lot .. realy .. less a problame to wory about ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Doesn't work for me either. My board has Winbond sensors, the developer should really get it sorted... I'd rather have control over my CPU fan than have the BIOS control it.

At least I can get temperatures up in the kernel via thermos using the Winbond pkg thingy.

all it does is complain to me about speech recognition files being corrupt or not present, and to remove the program until i have resolved that issue.

[i'm speaking about the original thermal monitor, not the widget thing that was posted a long time afterward]

all it does is complain to me about speech recognition files being corrupt or not present, and to remove the program until i have resolved that issue.

[i'm speaking about the original thermal monitor, not the widget thing that was posted a long time afterward]

Change the speech person under system preferences - speech.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who has issues Temperature Monitor not detecting your core sensors, maybe is becaus you have a 45nm Processor:

From the Temperature Monitor Page:

I don't see any core temperature sensors for my Intel-based Mac although I have installed the driver for extended x86 sensor support. The sensors have been visible in version 4.4 of the application and on my older Intel-based systems. Is this a problem with the program?

No, this indicates that your system is equipped with the third generation of Intel Core processors, using 45 nm technology. As confirmed by Intel, the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) which measure the core temperatures no longer behave linear enough in this processor generation to be used to display absolute readings in low temperature ranges. The readings are too inaccurate to be useful. Only in high temperature ranges where the core is about 20 centigrades below its specified maximum temperature limit, the sensors can be used to detect overtemperature situations. For this reason, Temperature Monitor will completely suppress display of core sensors for the affected processors. Hardware Monitor will display them as status sensors that give the reading "0" if the temperature is acceptable, and "1" when a core enters a critical temperature range and is about to overheat. Note that you can still monitor temperature readings per processor (not per core).

You can enable inaccurate temperature display for the affected processors for testing purposes. However, we don't recommend nor support this:

Ensure that the driver for extended x86 support is installed and quit the application.

Open a Terminal window and enter one of the following commands:

When using Temperature Monitor:

defaults write com.bresink.system.tempmonitor EnableCoreTempReadingsForCPU10670 1