Monitor your temperature under OSX

aberracus

117 posts in this topic

bennals VCore - it's a voltage of CPU, AUX Temp - it depends how vendor connected this sensor on board. As for me, I don't know, how ASRock connected AUX temp sensor on my board, looks like to system temp.

Thanks for the answer DaemonES. I just installed my my system into an Antec Solo case and replaced the Tricool case fan with an Arctic Cooling 12 fan. Cheap thermaltake power supply and stock intel CPU cooler. My thermo numbers at idle are :

Sys temp:38

CPU temp:43

Aux temp:45.5

Vcore:1.30

Althought the Arctic case fan has a nice low whooshing sound I'm wanting to undervolt it with a fan controller to make it really quiet (for audio applications) but I'm a bit concerned about the Northbridge heating up. I've heard that running dual monitors off the onboard video with the included DVI card can put some strain on it. What temperatures do you think I should be making sure I stay under.

Diabolik:

I've tried the Temperature Monitor app but the CPU temps sit about 22 degrees above the ones that the thermo terminal utility report, and they are pretty much the same as the hardware monitor in the BIOS reports so I've have more faith in them.

Thanks.

Bill.

Edited by bennals

Diabolik:

I've tried the Temperature Monitor app but the CPU temps sit about 22 degrees above the ones that the thermo terminal utility report, and they are pretty much the same as the hardware monitor in the BIOS reports so I've have more faith in them.

Thanks.

Bill.

temp monitor grab temp from temp sensor built in all core duos and core2duos, the others grab them from the temp sensor about 1-1 1/2 inches away from the proc, look at your manual and it shows exactly where they are located.

for me temp monitor is very accurate, with a memrom core2duo 2.0 ghz strapped to a 99.8% copper heatsink without a fan and some artic silver 5, i grab ambient room temps to +- 2 degrees F.

trust what you want....

ill use what works for me...

my cooler is a nexus PSM-5000 : http://www.nexustek.nl/psm_full_copper_socket_479_cooler.htm

and i just noticed thier 1U version the PSM-2500.

just remember these are socket 479 (Mobile Chipset).

i also lapped and polished mine to a mirror finish.

-EDIT-

99.5% copper my bad

Edited by DiaboliK

Works great on the ASUS P5LD2-VM SE board. CPU monitors CPU, AUX seems to be the system sensor and the SYS monitors ? it seems stuck on 28 with the occasional flick to 29. Vcore all good. Now if anyone knows how to get a read from a 7600 i'll be happy as a pig in {censored}....

Actually spoke too soon, after a while the sys temp climbs to 32. aux hovers at ~40 (which I presume must be northbridge) and cpu ~47 -which tallies with the hardware monitor in bios / windows. So what's sys?

Edited by consolation

i also found that Temperature Monitor and Temperature monitor Lite work on core2duo and coreduo chips as it installs the driver for it and read temps from the core.

dosent matter the mobo manufacturer cause i have it installed on various machines. just as long as its core2duo or Core duo proccessor

no lucky here:

I have a core duo...

the program installed the extra drivers...

but no temperature

only the one from the HD (57 C)

the other two sensors (one for core) give always "--"

Well....

Here's my report....

MOBO: Bad Axe 2

CPU: E6300

CASE: Antec P150

RAM: 2GB / DDR800

GPU: nVidia 7600GT

HDD: 2x Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATA 150's

COOLER: Stock Intel Unit

All the various monitors that have been mentioned in this thread all report core temps in the low 60's (60, 62, 64)....

Yet.... when I go directly into the BIOS

The BIOS reports low to mid 40's

And... when I boot into Windows XP Pro SP2 instead of OS X

Intel Mobo Utility (for windows) can't remember the exact name right now... also reports low to mid 40's

Gotta feeling temp monitors in OS X are looking at something other than what the BIOS and what Intels mobo util are looking at...

Dave

my commell lv-677 strapped with a Core2Duo 2ghz memrom and a Nexus PSM-5000 cooler with 1 Nidec BetaV 60mm cooling fan

i get 27degrees from core 1 and 28degrees from core 2 at normal dvd watching, web browsing.

and 42degrees core1 and 46degrees core2 when full on work/benchmarking. (hit 60degrees when i forgot the fan)

those are true temps also (i can touch the HS and verify)

i think i can overclock this puppy. just wonder if bios will let me....

(note all temps are celcius, and im using Paulicat's speedstep enabled kernel ;))

Edited by DiaboliK

• 2 weeks later...

People that want to compare temperatures on their Core Duo/Core 2 Duos try Intel TAT.

It monitors the temp on the cores like Temperature Monitor does but is for Windows.

Try and report back here.. i think that you will notice a difference between BIOS temp and core temp..

DaemonES> Thermo displays nicely here but I'm wondering if it could be possible to develop it a bit further and make it visible in the menubar or give it a gui? Would be the dream app that many are missing.

Btw thanx!

This is working on my dv8230ca HP Pavilion laptop with 10.4.8 on Semthax's 8.8.1 kernel.

I don't trust the readings thou, idling at 60+ C?

That seems really high...

Hey Conroe945G users and other owners of MoBo's with Winbond W83627EHF/EHG sensor. I developed very very simple, console utility, that monitors 3 temps and VCore. Just install attached package, restart and type in terminal

thermo

CTRL+Z to exit.

If you can make it a menubar application like "Temperature monitor" it would be a killer!

I would even consider donating to the project :)

The problem with "Temperature Monitor" is that it shows wrong CPU readings ranging from 66-69 Celcius

while thermo gives a correct 42....

thanks

I off course can make GUI to this tool with QT, but have 2 problems:

1. It is really need to someone? ^_^

2. I have no idea how GUI to this tool may look :)

I think something like this:

post-56692-1173615707_thumb.png

Edited by DaemonES

I off course can make GUI to this tool with QT, but have 2 problems:

1. It is really need to someone? :mellow:

2. I have no idea how GUI to this tool may look :lol:

I think something like this:

Yeah that would be a good start + if you can add readouts to the finder menubar...

Like this:

tempsy7.png

This is working on my AS Rock 945G Conroe DVI with a Core2 Duo installed.

Initially I tried the Widget and saw only the result for my SATA drive with SMART.

42C or 110F

Clicking on the little i (info) in the corner lets you access popup controls to choose from the available sensors, and to pick C, F, or K temperature units.

I installed the full application which offered to install an x86 driver.

On doing that, the two sensors (one per core) for the Core 2 Duo also became active in the app.

It is easiest if you install the app and driver before widget, if you didn't you'll need to remove then re-add the widget to get the CPU sensors to show up.

The hotter of the two cores is showing 77C / 170F. Cores maxed out pretty well doing video compression with Visual Hub; BOINC also running. The CPU heatsink feels cool, it's hard to say if the temperature inside the chip is really that much hotter.

This is with an E6300 (multiplier 7 C2D) overclocked from 1.86 to 2.25 Ghz, (by raising the main clock from 266 to 320 Mhz. Sets RAM data rate from 533 to 640 Mhz, and fsb from 1066 to 1280 MHz. I'm using DDR-2 667 RAM, so it feels cool at 1.8 Volts) Using stock Intel CPU cooling, room temp 73 F. The Northbridge (945G) and Southbridge (ICH7) heatsinks are quite warm to the touch, but tolerable. It'd be nice to be able to measure temps on those.

That's pretty hot for the CPU. For comparison, my MacBook (Yes a good experience with building an Intel box also prompted me to buy one), the 2 GHz Core Duo Idling is showing 61 C / 142 F.

It would be nice if someone could sweet-talk the developer into adding/supporting additional drivers for x86 motherboards. It'd help if someone who's paying a shareware fee for any of his products politely makes this request. It'd be good to point out that while the number of people using Hackintoshes is fairly small, the percentage overclocking or otherwise wanting temperature info is much higher than for standard Macs.

Perhaps someone else could help with a compatible driver, or some existing driver could be used if the developer had the info to communicate with it?

I haven't installed it yet, but when I was building my machine I found "drive coolers" available for about $20. Its a cute thing that mounts in a 5.25" bay and has a heatsink, fan to cool a 3.5" hard drive. It also provides front panel USB and Firewire jacks, and has a LCD display for showing temperatures. It comes with sensors/cables that hook to it, that allow one to monitor temperatures of various things in the computer (whatever you want if you can get a sensor on it). There's a knob to rotate on the front panel to select which sensor to monitor. Since the sensors came with the unit, there shouldn't be any calibration problems. It looks like it does three pairs of temp/fanspeed monitoring.

This thing was called "DigiPanel CF203B-NEB" Multi-Function Control Panel.

As Silly as it sounds, I actually bought the thing just to get a front panel Firewire jack!

This looks like the same thing: http://store.pcpowerzone.com/spspdi5bayhd.html

It may be cheaper elsewhere, mine was.

This is working on my dv8230ca HP Pavilion laptop with 10.4.8 on Semthax's 8.8.1 kernel.

I don't trust the readings thou, idling at 60+ C?

That seems really high...

Internal chip temperatures are higher than the cpu case temperature, and that is higher than the heatsink temperature and that is higher then the internal ambient temperature and that is higher than the external ambient temperature.

At each step of heat flow there is thermal resistance, usually measured in units of C/W (degrees C temperature difference across resistance per watt). All of the thermal resistances add up. Better thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink lowers that resistance slightly. Note that too thick a layer of thermal compound actually raises thermal resistance (like resistors in series). Higher fan speed lowers heatsink to ambient thermal resistance, as does a larger or more efficient heatsink.

Probably the best way to see if the temperature indication is close is to leave the system completely powered down and unplugged overnight (so there's no heat from the battery charging and power inverters in the case of laptops), then check the reading immediately after booting up. The reading should be close to room temperature. If you look at how fast it is rising and know how long it was between power on and when you could see the reading, you can guesstimate how much to subtract for the little heating that occurred during bootup.

The same test done with a deep-sleep mode would likely be pretty valid too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@bigcletus

thats exact the same as mine

and i'm not concerned

cause after a fast switch into windows the temps are normal and i think the cores can not cooldown that fast