Home Amplifier

bptba93

23 posts in this topic

oh man you lost me. You want to use a box made for a car indoors? and you want to know what amp to use? well if you want to use it indoors in your room or garage id go with technics reciever. But any ol kenwood,sony or anything else will kick them well too. id say 100-150 bucks. id say dont push anything beyond 100watts per channel on them though. good luck.

dude they are 650 watt subs and my stereo already puts out 125 watt per channel..then you add in it's own little 8" sub that's getting 150 watts.

EDIT: By the way the 8" has more bass then the two 10"s cuz i bought these from a friend that had two of these exactly alike and has a 200 watt Aiwa stereo and hooked a 800 watt to them..i know they can handle a lot more.

EDIT: By the way the 8" has more bass then the two 10"s cuz i bought these from a friend that had two of these exactly alike and has a 200 watt Aiwa stereo and hooked a 800 watt to them..i know they can handle a lot more.

I thought it was the other way round. The bigger the speaker, the better it can handle lower frequencies. The smaller, the better it can handle higher frequencies. I may be wrong though...

:blink:

Ok, but thats what i suggested because

1) they are Car Speakers, mostlikely Running at 4 Ohms

2) I doubt there is a cross over in the box, a real crossover not a couple of capacitors

3) they look cool, its obviously not a name brand speaker

4) who said they were 650? the person who sold it to you? is thata 650 RMS or Peak?

In not trying to knock you man, but people lie and so do audio manufactures.

For example a 4 channel 200watt amp means

4 channels, 50watts peak each, 25watts rms per channel.

Sorry if i sound preachy man, but im just trying to help you get the cleanest sound possible. :D

i just assumed they're car speakers because that's what they look like..my friend says they're car but his dad says they're for lead guitarist i'm not sure...he said they are 2 ohms. No I don't think Electra is a name brand. Thanks about them looking cool.I'm not sure about Peak or RMS i'll ask. Oh and SABR I think that the 8" has better bass right now because it's only a 150 watt and the stereo it's putting out 150 to it. And it has a longer bass tube. If anyway wants to look up the stereo it's a Sony MHC-GX450.

The biggest factor in driving bass speakers is the speed of response of the amp and the instantaneous power it can provide. That's why a good amp sounds 'punchy' and a bad one sounds sloppy. For these speakers I wouldn't think you need great hi-fi quality but you sure need an amp that has a big transformer and huge capacitors in its power supply. If the amp is big and heavy, it's probably going to do a better job than something that looks like a DVD player. Yamaha make some pretty solid mid-range hifi stereo amps with bags of guts which you might pick up on eBay for a fair price.

I, personally, would recomend going with Carvin, if you can because they provide the biggest bang for the buck, but if you have some xtra cash, go with QSC, Mackie, or Crown Amps. You may be able to find a good deal right now at Guitarcenter too. i dont really trust Pyle honestly. Thats one of those companies that claim 1000watts but really diliver 125! :D Metrogirl is absolutely right too.

i found one on ebay but for $95 buy it now but see my stereo doesn't have rca outputs... it only has the speaker connections and all i'm finding are the inputs are those thick stereo jack things (forgot the name) i need one to go from my stereo to the amp with speaker wire unless if they make a converter then from the amp to the speakers do they do that? or do i have to buy an adapter?

1/4" or quarter inch plugs. no all you need is a positive and negative. you can even buy one desent leangth cable and cut it in half so both plugs go to the speakers and the open ended wire to the amp! :)

Well i finally figured out what i'm going to do. I'm going to buy a car amp off of ebay then buy a power converter. The only thing I still need to find is how many OHMs they are. But I could probably find that information on the back of the speakers right? On the magnet?

yeah they should be on the back on the magnet. Taylor im going to be honest with you. i tried that route once too. i havent found ANY COST EFFECTIVE INVERTER, meaning under 100 bucks, that could provide 14v and at least 80AMPS of Current.

I looked on the back of both speakers and i couldn't find anything but something on the back of both that i couldn't figure out what it is. It's not a number but i guess i could unscrew the neon and unscrew the speaker again and check. but that pyle amp i'm mentioned earlier are they that bad of a brand?

I know what kind of amp i'm going to get. It's a Kenwood KAC-7202. On eBay it's around $100. I'll have to sell my DS which i hate and don't use and maybe something else to buy a power converter. They have one at a local pawn shop that would power the amps 40 amp requirement.

This thread is probally over after looking at what you just posted but here is my opinion.....ALPINE! If you are using car speakers then you shouldn't mind using a car amp, and Alpine is the absolute best car audio company in my opinion, they are a tad expensive though.

Diamond Audio is very nice also, and a little easier on your wallet

one last question, anybody know a company that makes a cord that takes the speaker out on a stereo/av reciever and changes it into a rca plug at the other end? If not could i buy those monster cable that are rca and cut off one end and i'll get a positive and negitive?

• 2 months later...

yea someone can close this thread... i finally found a amp on ebay that i liked and i paied $150 shipped for it...kinda pissed off cuz the first one they sent me didn't work...but in like 5 weeks they had me a new one and my subs are pounding right now! what amp you say? Technical Pro RX-500k