GTX 460 - Stuck at 1024x768 in 10.7.4

starbot

13 posts in this topic

Hello there! Long-time lurker that has finally surfaced because of a mystery that I haven't been able to solve for the past few weeks. I'm hoping some of you brilliant people can help me out with this issue that I ran (and fell flat on my face) into.

First off, here are my system stats:

i5 750 2.66 : GIGABYTE GA-H55M-USB3 F11

4GB - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB : Crucial m4 SSD 512GB

MSI GTX 460 1GB v2

All hardware has worked well before, so I wasn't expecting any issues. I recently bought a SSD and decided to reinstall everything instead of cloning the drive. The first time I installed, everything seemed to be fine (dual boot: Win7 and 10.7.4 on SSD drive). However, due to a preference in partition size, I started from scratch.

I did the usual process of partioning, installing Windows 7, then OSX 10.7.4. Now, here's where I started running into problems.

Normally after installing Chimera/Chameleon, installing a DSDT, and setting GraphicsEnabler=Yes, I immediately see full resolution and have QE/CI with my GTX 460 (at this point, I normally just improve stability/smoothness by modifying my AGPM). I believe this is due to the latest fermi drivers already being bundled into 10.7.4, whereas in older versions I needed to download an nvidia driver.

What's strange is that during this round of installing, my OSX is stuck at 1024x768. Even after several attempts and formats, I can't seem to get my system to show full resolution and hardware acceleration.

Information in "Apple > About" shows that OSX is recognizing my card, but it doesn't seem to want to use it. I've added the usual tags (npci=0x2000, npci=0x3000, PCIUID=0/1, GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No, etc), but nothing will get OSX to use the GTX 460 properly. I've run the OpenGL+OpenCL enabler (I believe this patches NVDAGF100HAL and the GeForce.bundle), but this seems to cause a KP. I don't have a snapshot available, but the last message during a verbose boot hangs at "Sound Assertion in AppleHDADriver at line ####" (this confuses me because I wasn't yet working on audio kexts).

It still boggles my mind that I've succeeded before with the exact same hardware, yet now I'm running into this issue (maybe I'm bordering on insanity and missing a critical step).

Any advice? I appreciate any comments as I'm completely stumped.

The sound assertion is AppleHDA making a half-hearted attempt at loading itself. It's a good sign.

Try PciRoot=1, not PCIUID. And GraphicsEnabler=y of course. Your video card should just work, as it has before. Besides the Fermi Freeze my GTX 460 works fine in 10.7.4, both with the shipping drivers and the newer ones that were released by nvidia in May.

Thanks for the response Gringo. I tried PciRoot=1 (along with GraphicsEnabler=Yes) and was able to get back into my system, but it's still showing up with a 1024x768 resolution. I went ahead and downloaded the May update from nVidia and enabled OpenGL+OpenCL again.

Although I didn't do this before, I added my device ID into the NVDAGF100Hal.kext > Info.plist (0x120510de&0xffe0ffff). I then repair system permissions and rebooted. Unfortunately, same result when OSX loaded again, and I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong.

The system still shows that it recognizes the card in Apple > About, so am I not loading the next properly? What's a recommended tool to enable OpenGL+OpenCL?

Just throwing this out there in case this has any effect.

Do the SATA ports matter once the install and boot loader are complete? I'm trying to see if there's any difference in my hardware configuration as before, and I'm wondering if it's because I plugged the SATA cable into a different port (still the main blue SATA ports and not the white ports).

Other drives have been disconnected except for my DVD drive.

If your 460's device ID is 0E22 OpenGL does not need to be "enabled", you don't need to modify any Nvidia kexts for OpenGL.

It appears that yours has device ID 1205, which is the v2 model.

Try not using GraphicsEnabler, instead try the method here: http://www.weezey.co...x-465-quad.html

Don't use OSX86Tools to actually apply any edits, you can use it to make them, but copy the finished device properties string to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist manually. OSX86Tools is very old, it doesn't know about that file and it will apply your modifications in the wrong place if you let it.

SATA ports don't matter, as long as they're on the same controller. Your motherboard has a secondary one (the white ports) that might or might not work.

This is a really strange issue. I've tried multiple methods to set up the card in 10.7.4, including injecting my edits (with Graphics Enabler = No) into the chameleon.Boot.plist and adding device IDs in NVDAGF100Hal.kext.

In all cases, I am able to get OSX to identify my card (card shows in in Apple > About as the correct name and not as Unknown). The problem is that it still refuses to use it. The most I can set my resolution at is 1280x1024 (adding Graphics Mode in the plist), but it's far from complete hardware acceleration that I was able to get the very first time.

I thought there may have been something else wrong with my computer, so I plugged in an old video card (GTS 250), and everything loaded perfectly with Graphics Enabler = Yes. I shut down the system, plugged my GTX 460 back in, and the same issue returns with low resolution an no hardware acceleration.

I'm at the point where I'm either considering to not use this computer as a Hackintosh (dedicated Windows computer), or if I should hold off to see if Mountain Lion 10.8 gives me a second chance at getting this card to work.

The info in System Profiler is purely cosmetic, it has no bearing on functionality, it just means that your video card is on a list of cards that Chameleon knows about. Even if it wasn't, GraphicsEnabler would still work, it would just show "unknown" in System Profiler.

It sounds like the problem isn't with Chameleon or GraphicsEnabler, it's that the nvidia drivers won't load for your card for some reason. I don't know what else you can do other than modifying GF100Hal.kext though.

Ah...so I'm still at the issue of loading the extensions. That would make sense because the very first time I installed my GTX 460 it was displayed as Unknown, yet it had full acceleration.

I might be making some progress, but this is a strange issue. I managed to update the drivers without touching anything else, but I'm not able to get into my system. It's now hanging on "MACX_SWAPON SUCCESS", and I can't find a way around it. Booting into -x, 32-bit, -f, various graphic flags doesn't do anything.

What does this particular message mean?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i finnaly found somebody with similar sort of problem ! :)

i have isseus with my EVGA GTX460 1GB FTW Edition.

I have all resolutions fine working, and QE/CE working but OpenGL and OpenCL are not working correctly !

i tried all versions of Lion, with everytime using different ways of enabling the card.

I have used GraphicsEnabler=Yes, with Nvidia driver. and without.

Also GraphicsEnabler=Yes with OpenCL enabler from ###### from tonymac..

i Still have no solution how to proper let my card work under osx, im also waiting for changes in Mauntain lion...

Do you have a solution found btw ??

sry for bad english, im from the netherlands..

I hope somebody here found a fix, i would really appreciated it ! :)

PM me if you can ! :0

Greetings,

Floris12345

I still haven't managed to find a solution yet, but I'm planning to try again once Mountain Lion comes out. From what I've read, it looks like nVidia drivers are easier to access and don't require much beyond a GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Thx for answer ! :)

I also read some of that indeed.

But i think in ML that only is supported for Nvidia 5 and 6 series graphic cards..

We shall see, but i hope it will be fixed some day ! :)

i build a nice G5 case mod, andeverything and now i can't run osx properly :S :P...

Just a follow-up. Installing Mountain Lion solved my graphic issues. Card works out of the box (even installation has full resolution) and power management issue is native now (no longer need AGPM.kext modifications).

• 2 weeks later...

This is very good news ! :)

very happy to see this, im now still on vakation but will defenitly going to install osx maintain lion !! :)

did you also tested 2 monitors ??

im using 2 acer22 inch monitors, DVI connected..

Was wondering if somebody has some experience also with EVGA GTX460 V2 version and ML ??

Greetings,

Floris

• 3 weeks later...

i have installed ML 10.8.1 now, Graphics are working much better then in Lion but still not the best !

Desktop windowing is working fine now, no lag anymore..

But performance in games is very bad :S...

for example COD4 everything maxed out. only get max 50Fps and with my old Graphics ATI 4870 Snow Leopard i got 120 FPS + all the time...

think i need to install original nvidia driver also ??

how to get all the full speed out my GTX460 ??

greetings,

Floris