Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:08 PM
I was reading some news articles this morning this one caught my eye. Allegedly caught on video, his iphone explodes! take a look for yourself.
Click here to view the article
Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:07 PM
Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:00 PM
Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:06 AM
The video is shaky because the journalist (or whatever) recorded it from a screen with only hands, the camera wasn't mounted.
I don't know why he didn't just take the tape or something.
Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:11 PM
Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:29 PM
Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:01 AM
I'm inclined to say the video is true, i've seen phones "set on fire", the smoke is similar to what we can observe in the video and it's caused by the battery chemicals interacting with the rest of the phone. I suppose the iphone is more susceptible to this because the battery is not detachable (one may even call it flimsy) compared to other brands.
- TheNavigator likes this
Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:29 AM
- eep357 likes this
Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:23 AM
Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:39 PM
Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:36 AM
It will explode violently. If anything shorted the battery it could cause a cascade event and eventually explode. No fuse in the world would ever stop it!!
Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:38 AM
Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:41 AM
Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:25 PM
I don't think it's fake, but maybe it's made up.
Not saying the battery in the iphone is this type but have a look at this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3o_2mwRPdw
That's much. You need a really high current to make something like this. REALLY HIGH...
Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:39 AM
- DoiX likes this
Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:13 PM
I'll concede that a short between the layers in a lithium ion cell can lead to instant flamage. Usually this only happens if there has been physical damage to the battery like bending a cell or a puncture in the cell's flimsy wrapping, so if he bought one of those fix your own screen kits before this than that's on him (defective spludger maybe ). Apple batteries aren't immune to problems though. I've had 2 macbook battery packs swell up because half the cells in them (made by Sanyo btw) had puffed up like pillows. They did not short, but are very susceptible to doing so in this state, but iphone would split in half before they could swell that much.
For the split in half thing, I don't believe so. IMO, iPhone's battery isn't that powerful to generate that much heat, but it can generate that much smoke.
Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:03 PM
Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:48 PM
The other thing that is obvious to me is the "security camera" movement. It looks like someone was holding a camcorder and trying hard not to move. Real security cameras are stationary and don't move at all as they're screwed in and/or mounted to a solid part of the building. Anyway, that's my take on it... "Trust but verify" is the mindset that I have when it comes to stuff like this...
PS - I will say though that rechargeable batteries DO have that kind of power that (although very rare) they can explode and do some major damage. Here's a perfect example of "cannon-like" disaster here with an 18650 batt (common rechargeable batt for many kinds of LED flashlights):
Look at what it did to this man's hands and arm and what it did to the coffee maker. Exploding batts are no joke (as eep357 mentioned and showed a pic of). Imagine if that 18650 rechargeable batt was pointed near that man's face or neck. I couldn't imagine that.
- TH3L4UGH1NGM4N likes this
Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:47 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users