Inside the 24 inch iMac

Caslon

210 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Caslon!

I've read the entire thread and I'm glad I did for 2 great reasons:

1) I have an early Core Duo 20" iMac I ordered new from Apple and it was my first new Mac (!) :wacko: I added the optional 500GB HDD and twice the original vam 128 to 256 at only $75 bux extra. I added my own 2GB of ram and wanted to add 3GB and was about to perform that test until today.

2) I also have a MacBook 2.16 C2D w/2GB and I'm about to replace one of the 1GB sticks with a 2GB for a total of 3GB. I could've went with 4GB but after I thought it over and heard of the issues it had with the integrated graphics I changed my mind. I was about to try that 2GB in my iMac but now I see it's a waste of time.

However, it'll be 3 years old next spring and the Apple Care will have expired so after I read that you installed a C2D CPU with success and even bumped up the ram too I'm considering it!

Now if you can answer this question:

Will those early iMacs take a low grade C2D Quad CPU? In theory it should and I've had no issues with my iMac and it runs great and is still whisper quiet.

Thanx!

It will not work for one reason, the pinouts on the CPUs are not the same. Also the bus speeds are not the same if I'm not mistaken. The iMac has a socket 479. The quads socket it different. It would be great if they had mad the processor for these that were quads. The iMacs use laptop processors and there were no 479 processors for laptops at this time. It's a bit hard to find a non high end laptop now with a quad in it. Sorry....

Forgive my fat finger typing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Caslon,

thx for your post

just two questions to do the same on my iMac,

What is the exact model of your iMac 24" (2,16Ghz - dec 2006 ?)

How many screw are there ? and what are type of ? (to buy correct tools)

thx !

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...