• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

boo50

boo50

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
does anyone know what type of panel in this 24" iMac?
i suppose this is Samsung PVA... but i don't know exactly...
does anyone know?

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I'm waiting on a refernce card from MXM Upgrades to see if it is or not.

lev

lev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, so I guess we have to be patient for now :-)

But I think I have come up with another way to use the imac's display with another mac. If you attach an Elgato EyeTV hybrid (http://www.elgato.co...x.php?file=home) to the usb-port of your imac you provide the imac with a s-video-in. According to Elgato you can then for example attach a console and play without latency on he imac's screen.

Now if you attach a DVi-to-s-video adapter to the dvi-port of the graphics card of a mac pro for example and plug in the s-video-out of the adapter into the imac via the EyeTV device you should see the mac pro's image on the imac's screen. Theoretically.
But I don't know how good the image quality would be.

Still, a direct connection to the imac's display (inside the imac) would be better in my opinion.

Any thoughts on this one?

cheers,
lev

odedia

odedia

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Accodrding to this article:

http://www.hothardwa...x?articleid=883

the new Geforce 7950 GTX MXM card is mac compatible.

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Read the article again. The chip is Mac compatible. The MXM card we can't say until it is swaped and tested or released buy Apple. This would be a great card if it works. I wonder about heat and power issues with the stock iMac setup. I'm sure I'll get around to testing it.

Fossie

Fossie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Im interested in the display connector aswell. Because once its time comes, i still want to be able to use that amazing screen.

columbusgeek

columbusgeek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
How easy is it to upgrade the ram? Is it "little door on side" easy or is it "tear it totally down" like you had to?

odedia

odedia

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
RAM is a piece of cake.

There's even a short guide on apple's site on how to do it. 2 screwed and you have the RAM door avaliable.

columbusgeek

columbusgeek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you. I found the info about only 2 slots later on in my evening of reading and never came back here to update my question.

Thanks for the response.

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Update !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the 7900 card I tried was really a 6800. It did not work. I just tried a 7800 and it's a type III card and physically will not work with the iMac 24. My only conclusion is that it Mac cards or nothing. I'm done trying. That makes 4 different cards that don't work.

lev

lev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That's really a pity. I would have liked a 7900 in an iMac. But thanks a lot for trying. Honestly. I don't know if I would have had the courage to open my iMac.
By the way, did you get another glimps at the internal display-connector?

Cheers,
Lev

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Here is a pic of the two connectors for the LCD panel.

Attached Files

aberracus

aberracus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
Caslon

How come that you have so many macs and you open them and mess with them.. you do testing for living?
:(

lev

lev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks a lot Caslon!!!
I was waiting for such a picture. Now, does anyone recognize the type of connector? I suppose one is for power and one for the video-in signal...

Come on. We are close to keeping that beautiful display once the iMac itself has to retire... :-)
Anyone have any knowledge on TFT-Displays?

hersato

hersato

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks Caslon, for nice pictures, but where is the power supply ?.

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Computers are my hobby and my job. I have been in the field for over twenty years and it's amazing to watch the changes first hand. As for why I have so many Mac and Pc's? I use computers like I use shoes, When they get a little old or something I like that's newer comes out I pass my old ones down to friends and family members, and buy the latest. I do beta test for Microsoft and I am in the Apple developer pool.

Here is a basic breakdown of where things are in the 24 incher.

Here is a basic breakdown of where things are in the 24 incher.

Attached Files

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Boy wish I could type without fat fingering. Please pardon the typing errors.

sgtpeper

sgtpeper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Caslon -
I just got my own 24" iMac - absolutely loving it. However, does yours happen to have this strange problem where the screen sort of hums or whirs and it gets better and worse depending on what the brightness is set to?

Mine seems to do that and on appleinsider it seems a lot of other people have this problem. It is ONLY noticable in in a room with no other noise...

Thanks
Jeff

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Mine is whisper quiet. I have to get pretty close to hear the hard drive spinning. I would call Apple Care and see if it is a known issue. If they will admit it. I did have 3 stuck pixels however. Apple did replace the screen.

mkok

mkok

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
A question for Caslon,
First of all, sorry for my bad english. Thank you very much for your great pictures, help to me a lot. Have you ever tried a raptor hd? Ive got one and I like to try on my 24". 74Gb and 10000rpm. Thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy