Inside the 24 inch iMac

Caslon

210 posts in this topic

Computers are my hobby and my job. I have been in the field for over twenty years and it's amazing to watch the changes first hand. As for why I have so many Mac and Pc's? I use computers like I use shoes, When they get a little old or something I like that's newer comes out I pass my old ones down to friends and family members, and buy the latest. I do beta test for Microsoft and I am in the Apple developer pool.

Here is a basic breakdown of where things are in the 24 incher.

Here is a basic breakdown of where things are in the 24 incher.

post-19964-1161371711_thumb.jpg

Caslon -

I just got my own 24" iMac - absolutely loving it. However, does yours happen to have this strange problem where the screen sort of hums or whirs and it gets better and worse depending on what the brightness is set to?

Mine seems to do that and on appleinsider it seems a lot of other people have this problem. It is ONLY noticable in in a room with no other noise...

Thanks

Jeff

Mine is whisper quiet. I have to get pretty close to hear the hard drive spinning. I would call Apple Care and see if it is a known issue. If they will admit it. I did have 3 stuck pixels however. Apple did replace the screen.

A question for Caslon,

First of all, sorry for my bad english. Thank you very much for your great pictures, help to me a lot. Have you ever tried a raptor hd? I´ve got one and I like to try on my 24". 74Gb and 10000rpm. Thank you very much!

If i read your (Caslon) post on Page 1 correctly, you said a ATI MXM card booted into windows on a iMac 24". This in itself confirms to me that the iMac 24" is video card upgradable in theory. Whats missing is the drivers or firmware for the different cards to work. but the fact that the socket is MXM Type II and has conformed to the industry standard (vs apple's own socket) is huge. Now, as new cards come out (7950) they should be available on the apple store as a factory upgrade MUCH quicker then before (hopefully). And also, this allows users of existing iMac 24" cards to upgrade their imacs to the newer MXM cards. Lets say in 6 months , someone wants to put a MXM 7950 into their imac replacing their 7300 GT, this IS possible as long as apple is currectly supporting the 7950 (i.e. selling it as a factory upgrade for a new imac) and the user has upgraded its OS X to the latest build and persumably has all the newest drivers. however, Apple probably won't sell the upgrade, he'll have to buy the 7950 from a third party or get a laptop pull.

So, it might not let current users upgrade to the latest and greatest, but it allows users to upgrade down the road to a more powerful video card as long as apple supports it and hence, extending the life of their computer by a year or two before spending another 2k on a completely new system.

I have tried the 7600 card as well with no luck, not even windows. It needs to have an apple firmware or some hardware part to function. The physical design of the slot area does not permit a type III card at all. There are componants in the way that will not let the iMac be put back together. I had to modify and not put all the way back together to get the ATI card working. So as far as store bought video upgrades go, they don't work. If it were a driver issue, the screen would come on and I would get a kernel panic. The screen did not even power up. This tells me that it is the card. The 7600 card I had and the apple card I have are physically different too. There are more parts on the Apple video board than the Dell card. Anyway, if Apple can make it hard they will. They want you to pay 5 times the real value of most upgrades. I'm not saying that it wont be possible in the near future. I'm sure someone will figure out how to make them work, or someone will make compatible cards aftermarket. We will have to wait and see.

If it's serial ATA, it will work. You will hear it because it's louder. Also the hard drive cooling fan will most likely run alot more increasing your noise level.

• 2 weeks later...

The Core 2 Duo 2.33 upgrade has been working flawless with the stock 2.16 heatsink. Also the Seagate 750 gig hard drive has also been working with no noticable noise or heat increase. Not much new on the video card upgrades as of late. I will keep you posted.

For the Early 2006 Core Duo owners, I have been running a 2.33 Core 2 Duo processor in a 20" iMac Core duo machine. It has been working great. No firmware needed. So if you like the size of your Early 2006 iMac, then don't fret that you should have waited. Just do the upgrade when the CPU drops in price.

For the Early 2006 Core Duo owners, I have been running a 2.33 Core 2 Duo processor in a 20" iMac Core duo machine. It has been working great. No firmware needed. So if you like the size of your Early 2006 iMac, then don't fret that you should have waited. Just do the upgrade when the CPU drops in price.

Caslon, thanks for posting all the pics and for all your insight. I was just wondering, in your opinion would it be possible to cram a second hard drive (master/slave configuration) ? There certainly seems to be plenty of room in there and I would think the proper cable would do the trick.

That would not be possible. There is only one Serial ATA connector available. The ATA connector for the dvd drive is a ribbon type and there seems to be support for only one device. The room is there and maybe we will see dual drives in latter models.

I'm wondering if graphic card upgrades are now possible with the 24 inch iMac using the new Titan kext. Reading their website would seem to suggust so. Also, where have you purchased the graphic arts for the iMac. I can find standard cards no problem, but laptop ones in my area are impossible to find.

• 4 weeks later...

bump...

So has anyone tried a PC MXM module like the 7900GS in the 24"? Maybe using the Titan kext?

I'm seriously jonesing for a new Mac, and it's either this or a Mac Pro, but I'm not liking the higher latency and price of the FB-DIMMs, nor do I really need 2 Xeons.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the display connectors:

To my understanding you could reuse the iMac's panel but you would have to find a replacement for the missing TFT electronics that can be found in a standard TFT display. Somewhere I read that the iMac uses a Samsung panel. Appearantly, the only 24" display that Samsung builds is this one: http://monitor.samsung.de/article.asp?arti...&show=specs

So, there is a chance that the electronics in the 244T are compatible with the iMac's panel. One would still have to find a cheap (probably defect) Samsung display with working electronics, though.

Edit:

The correct name of the panel mentioned would be Samsung LTM240M2.

You can find out which displays are using it here: http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

Is anyone feeling lucky enough to actually try it?

Edit Edit:

There seem to be some standard controllers for flat panels available. The SVH1920 found here http://www.digitalview.com/controllers/products.php/ might work but they say you need an additional "inverter" and power supply. This is getting confusing! :-O

Edited by trainee