[Solved] i7 processor enabling all cores causes system hangs - OSX Lion 10.7.3 on a Intel DX58SO

ch0t

62 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Im having a problem with my intallation of Lion 10.7.3. For me, it's kind of a new trouble, so i tryed everything in my hands (and in the hands of Google xD) to solve it.

So, im here to see if anyone can help me.

Here is the deal:

The installation proceedure goes fine. All the kexts runs properly (except for the audio, 5.1 / 7.1 / front panel does not work). I got my WiFi and everything goes fine until i turn all the cores on.

On BIOS, there is a option to use or not all the cores and lets me select the amount and the hypertreading. When i install MacOS i only use one core and Hyperthreading is off, so everything goes fine. IF I TURN ALL CORES AND HYPERTHREADING ON after a minute a black screen with the legend "You must restart your computer [...]" appears and so appears my frustration.

I cant find the way to solve this problem.

My computer specs:

Intel i7 cpu 2.8Ghz (930 / s1366)

Intel DX58SO Mobo (With updated bios)

3GB Tri-Channel DDR3 RAM

ATI/AMD Radeon 5670 512MB PCIEx

Atheros WIFI Adapter PCIEx (TPLINK TL-WN751ND)

HDD WDigital 640Gb Green SATA2

SATA Cd/DVD Writer (LG)

Regards, and thanks for everything.

PS: I also tryed to use various DSDT for my MoBo. The same problem appears allways.

Sorry for my english!

Hi everyone! Im having a problem with my intallation of Lion 10.7.3. For me, it's kind of a new trouble, so i tryed everything in my hands (and in the hands of Google xD) to solve it.

So, im here to see if anyone can help me.

Here is the deal:

The installation proceedure goes fine. All the kexts runs properly (except for the audio, 5.1 / 7.1 / front panel does not work). I got my WiFi and everything goes fine until i turn all the cores on.

On BIOS, there is a option to use or not all the cores and lets me select the amount and the hypertreading. When i install MacOS i only use one core and Hyperthreading is off, so everything goes fine. IF I TURN ALL CORES AND HYPERTHREADING ON after a minute a black screen with the legend "You must restart your computer [...]" appears and so appears my frustration.

I cant find the way to solve this problem.

My computer specs:

Intel i7 cpu 2.8Ghz (930 / s1366)

Intel DX58SO Mobo (With updated bios)

3GB Tri-Channel DDR3 RAM

ATI/AMD Radeon 5670 512MB PCIEx

Atheros WIFI Adapter PCIEx (TPLINK TL-WN751ND)

HDD WDigital 640Gb Green SATA2

SATA Cd/DVD Writer (LG)

Regards, and thanks for everything.

PS: I also tryed to use various DSDT for my MoBo. The same problem appears allways.

Sorry for my english!

What SMBIOS are you using boot and go to about this mac, more info. Whats the mac version?

Your topic does not deserve any more attention than others seeking help hence topic titles must reflect their content, and topic titles containing things like: 'please help' 'look here' 'cash reward' 'urgent' or other inaccurate descriptions will be removed. This includes all-caps titles

• Like 1

Hi again, sorry for the title. Im trying to solve this problem on my own sice the past two weeks.

The SMBIOS (i think) is MacPro3.1, im attaching pictures.

Today while im booting mac again with a new config i get the error in the first picture.

2012-06-27-151.jpg

2012-06-27-152.jpg

2012-06-27-156.jpg

2012-06-27-159.jpg

Thx everyone for answering.

I Actually can boot mac using only one core, but if i activate all cores and HT system can last a minute without hanging.

Stills without working. I tryed two minutes ago and it doesnt work. Same error: A dimmed screen and a letter that says "You need to restart your computer [...]".

it boots, i only have time to open safari and type "taringa.net" when the page loads, the error comes out.

Im using a CLEAN iATKOS L2 install right now.

Does the "CPU failed to respond to interrupts[...]" mean something?

Ok, i tryed everything and that steps on the video definitively doesnt work. But, i discovered something using ###### for Lion.

When i install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext system goes fine (really fine!) until i reboot. When the reboot is done the system lasts a few seconds alive and then the "reboot your system" message comes out, no matter what im doing.

Im going to try a new clean install (after 70+) with a DX58SO DSDT.aml and this NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to see what happens. I'll keep posting the results, but if anyone has an idea please let me know. When this thing works i promise im creating a new topic with the clean steps for this Mobo and iATKOS L2.

Thank you in advance.

OK no way. Ignore the last post. The NullCPUPowerManagement.kext its not a permanent solution, in the clean install it does exactly the same thing. It only lasts one session, but when i reboot hangs again.

Im frustrated. Don't know what else to do.

Also tryed disabling C states and speedstep in BIOS but is the same thing.

To the admin(s): Can anyone change the title of this topic to "i7 processor enabling all cores causes system hangs - OSX Lion 10.7.3 on a Intel DX58SO" ??

Hey man MacPro3.1 dont have i7 Processor

Try with another smbios.plist,see screenshot maybe iMac12.1 is good

And try to enable ThermalProfile for speedstep

post-550798-0-11699300-1340997372_thumb.png

Looks like you may also need a DSDT with SSDT table to go with your smbios, iMac as mentioned should work, I use MacPro 5,1 which has the Xeon equivalent of a first gen i7 in it, so does MaPro 4,1, both being the only socket 1366 Macs produced

I used Macpro 5.1 SMBIOS and stills popping the same error. Right now I'm writting using mac and iMac 12.1 smbios. Lets see what happens. I don't have a Intel DX58SO dsdt-aml file! and the two i have used didn't work out.

Update: The same error with the SMBIOS "iMac 12,1" without the correct DSDT and SSDT.

Does anyone have the DSDT and SSDT for a Intel Core i7 s1366 and Intel DX58SO MoBo?

You will need to extract and compile a DSDT, this can be done in windows or osx, read here for more info and tools to help do this http://olarila.com/f...b3d842049c75b2f. If everything else is working, minimal edits to it should be all that's needed. SSDT tables should be same for any i7 930 running at stock speeds. Everest64 can extract them from windows

Thx eep! I'll try to get this done and see if it works.

I've been digging and i can see it's not a easy group of steps the one that i miss. If it works maybe i can make a tutorial for other one like me.

I only have one more doubt: I understand that in order to load and use a custom dsdt and ssdt its necesary to edit the chameleon boot.plist. Is there any other step that i could miss?

Ok frustration comes again. I tryed the SSDT and DSDT customizing and patching them manually (well not so manually xD i used DSDT editor) and putting them into /Extra folder and calling them using the org.chameleon.boot.plist and the problem remains there. The system keeps hanging.

In order to check my steps im attaching the four files I used to "try" to solve this issue.

Download: http://cufre.info/bobadas/insanelymacdebugfiles.zip

Inside the ZIP you will see:

acpi_dsdt.aml = The original DSDT obtained from AIDA64 (win)

acpi_ssdt.aml = The original SSDT obtained from AIDA64 (win)

dx58so-dsdt.aml = Patched DSDT for DX58SO (i patched it, so i don't know if it's ok :/ )

intelcorei7930-ssdt.aml = Edited SSDT for the Intel Core i7 930 (Nehalem) 8-core (HT) processor (also edited by me...)

org.chameleon.Boot.plist = ...

smbios.plist = An SMBIOS file installed from "El innombrable"

While i'm waiting for the answer, frustration remains at home with me. xD

Saludos desde Argentina! Gracias, Thanks!

-

Hey guys I have one more doubt: When all the cores are enabled, "about this mac" says "Total number of Cores = 4" and I think it should be 8. Could this have something to do with the problem?

no special command is needed for chameleon to load dsdt, if it's in extra folder and named DSDT.aml, it illl load it by default. view bdmesg log to see if it loaded, here is your's recompiled to delete errors with 930 SSDT added and renamed to DSDT.aml. Not sure it's all correct as just did it real quick, put DSDT in /Extra folder and that is all that is needed for it to load.

-

Hey guys I have one more doubt: When all the cores are enabled, "about this mac" says "Total number of Cores = 4" and I think it should be 8. Could this have something to do with the problem?

You have a 4 core CPU, when hyperthreading is enabled it gives 4 more "virtual" cores, but it's still a quad core CPU

But mine does not show # of cores in about mac anyway.

DSDT.aml.zip

abmac.jpg

abmac2.jpg

3.88Ghz Core i7 that rocks! Also nice pic for the Pirate mac logo, congratulations! Thanks for the file eep357, im gonna try it right now.

I'm sorry, its not "about this mac" but also "About this mac > System report". I think is ok then.

Hey, also a new issue its coming out: I got a multiboot system with two phisical disks, one of them destined to Win7. If i use the DSDT I compiled, when I boot into win7 the system doesnt sleep, just turns off the displays. If i don't use the Chameleon bootloader and boot directly using the harddrive with windows (without bootloader, just a normal pc) it works perfect and sleeps.

The bootloader's DSDT is used in windows too? I didnt know that. So if the DSDT used in Chameleon is wrong also windows is going to fail.

Ok i left the DSDT.aml file in /extra and i get this after a second in boot:

2012-07-01-161.jpg

Im going to take a few days to dissipate my frustration... xD also windows isnt booting using the bootloader and this DSDT. There must be something wrong.

original acpi dsssdt files.rar

Here the new extracted SSDT and DSDT using a STANDARD BOOT without bootloader or DSDT files in the way.

windows should not be effected by having a dsdt in osx, double check your bios settings

if you can boot into osx without a dsdt, do so and extract it from there using dsdt editor

so how did you get to where you can see all for cores showing in System Info as I thought you were unable to boot with them enabled?

I said I am able to boot with all cores enabled, but after a minute of using the system (sometimes more than a minute) it hangs saying "TLB invalidation IPI Timeout: CPU Failed to respond to interrupts...".

If i boot with only one core enabled (osea, Active Cores = 1 & HT = Disabled) system goes fine. Even video, audio and sleep works fine. The main problem is that, only one core and HT disabled.

About the BIOS Settings, they're ok. Windows boots ok when I manually select F10 > Booting disk > SATA#2 (A disk only for windows) but when i use the bootloader (with the dsdt you give me in /Extra) located in SATA#1 (another separate disk for macos & chameleon) windows doesnt boot. Stops in a black screen.

I'll give the try to boot macos again and get the DSDT from there using DSDT Editor for you. Hope it helps.

Thanks man for your concern.

thedsdtiniAtkosL2.aml.zip That one is the DSDT extracted from a clean installation of iATKOS L2 using DSDT Editor.

it says inside "DX58SO"... Great. That explains why almost everything works.

I'll give the try now with the chameleon version... Thanks man! You may prefer to tell me the steps if you don't want to do it all yourself.