mac the ripper or dvdbackup

boynty77

18 posts in this topic

mac the ripper dies for me after detecting the DVD and reading the title information. Probebly some issue with direct hardware access or something like that.

ok....

i am on the hunt for a dvd ripper and i can't find any....

since patchburn has something to do with iDVD 4, would it be feasible to download iDVD 4 and run the patch? would that work?

iDVD is not a DVD ripping app. I don't think anyone has gotten iDVD to work yet on the intel Macs, so I think that's a pointless venture.

Unfortunately, the author of MacTheRipper had to take his site down because he's in trouble with Macrovision. Don't expect any updates anytime soon... :(

Unfortunately, the author of MacTheRipper had to take his site down because he's in trouble with Macrovision. Don't expect any updates anytime soon... :(

MacTheRipper is back up and running with a new site:

It's at dubya dubya dubya dot releasethedogs dot com slash mtr

;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Have you guys tried Handbrake? There's a unibin availiable. The trick is to play your DVD in the Apple DVD player, hit pause and then rip.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

I decided to use Handbrake to test the performance of my system, and I was a little disappointed.

On my Dual-Processor G4 (2x 533) it takes about 24 hours to rip with 2-pass (AAC 5-channel, de-interlace, MP4 quicktime).

On the P4 (2.6) it takes 12 hours. Both are running 0.7 natively. I would have expected the P4 setup to have been about 4x faster, considering the much faster clockspeed, the faster memory bus (133MHz vs. DDR333 [or 400?]), etc.

Interestingly enough, MacTheRipper is faster in Rosetta on the P4 than natively on my G4... go figure.