Waiting for root device when kernel cache used; only with some disks +FIX

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Micky1979

Micky1979

I realized that I am lucky

• Moderators
  • 1,988 posts

Dear bcc9 I would also like to thank you for your script, your contribution and your finding. On my Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3, with a single main OCZ Agility 3 the system booted fine with clean install of 10.8.0 and then 10.8.2. Once I hooked up another Seagate Green 1,5TB SATA drive, I got the delay during boot. Today, after searching and use the kernel flag debug=8 ahcidrive=1 it solved it but I thought of testing your script (v0.3) as well. Thanks a million, you are right, it's probably due to specific H6x chipsets and this one is no exception...

I did try Mickey1979's DSDT patch before your script as it was easier to recover from a possible KP (i.e. using device-id 0x03, 0x1E, 0x00, 0x00) but it didn't work. I got orange icons again and probably the AHCI timing issue was not even tackled by the related kext. Shame, I would had hoped this could also be a more proper ID close to Apple hardware.

Thanks to all of you guys. One bug "down" and resolved. I hope that bcc9 will keep contributing to the OSx86 scene and will definitely support him accordingly.

Sorry, your're right.....on Intel controller or Mac supported........ maybe you need a third part kext for SATA?

Micky

DeltaDigital

DeltaDigital

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks so much for saving my sanity. I was going crazy trying solve the anomaly I am not in software as in hardware. I tried all different type of hard disks The one that worked was straightforward was CORSAIR FORCE GT 240GB. Made clone of that and none worked. No disk activity after the initial boot. Your magic brought life to my clones.
Thanks again

InsanelyMac Legend

a3yu

a3yu

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Ok the last patch worked for me

shiecldk

shiecldk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
@bcc9
I made this patch for IOAHCIFamily/IOAHCIBlockStorage 2.3.1 in Build 12C3006:

#patch relocation table for our patch point - kprintf() -> IOSleep()
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\xcb\x57\x00\x00\xee\x03|\xcb\x57\x00\x00\xe8\x01|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage

#Make unconditional call to IOSleep(200) at beginning of kext
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x0e\x48\x8d\x3d\x72\x94\x00\x00|\xbf\xc8\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90\x90\x90|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage

g0l3m

g0l3m

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
After flashing my AWARD BIOS to UEFI (Gigabyte UD3H-D3: F12 => U1h) booting of OS X 10.8.2 is fine without patching the IOAHCIFamiliy.kext!

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts

After flashing my AWARD BIOS to UEFI (Gigabyte UD3H-D3: F12 => U1h) booting of OS X 10.8.2 is fine without patching the IOAHCIFamiliy.kext!

That was my experience as well with gigabyte.

polkaholga

polkaholga

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 151 posts
Thank you bcc9 for this patch :thumbsup_anim:

besttech

besttech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
How do i apply this patch. Sorry Noob here.

instant idiot

instant idiot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
1. Make sure "patch-ahci-mlion" is on your desktop.
2. Open Terminal.app. (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
3. Enter the following three lines, one at a time, pressing enterafter each one.
cd ~/Desktop 
chmod +x ./patch-ahci-mlion
./patch-ahci-mlion
4. Done!

If you want to revert the change, run
sudo mv /System/Library/Extentions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig /System/Library/Extentions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

Hope this helps!

besttech

besttech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Thank You

rhcamilex

rhcamilex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
bcc9, you are the best!. For several days i was trying to resolve a issue related with my Video Card HD3000 (artifacts after reboot). This happend because, I was forced to put Flag: UseKernelCache=No. Otherwise I could not boot (Error: Still Waiting for root device). Now thanks to you, i can set this Flag to Yes!! The patch is awesome, and the implications for me. Go far beyond.

THANK YOU!

khaledem

khaledem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Hello , Please i facing this problem but i have no MAC system yet but i can access the partition i installed ML on it with macdrive from windows how can this patch help me in my case ?sorry for poor English.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,149 posts
just boot skipping the loading of kernelcache (-f flag for chameleon/chimera, WithKexts flag for clover, ForceLoadKernelcache=0 for XPC) and you will get into OSX installation.
then apply the patch and boot with kernelcache thereafter.

benjyyyy

benjyyyy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hi everybody, I have a problem with "Still waiting for root device" that is driving me absolutely mental.

After spending a while in windows, I will get this error and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it, it tends to just fix itself but it's not working anymore. I have had a working osx installation for a while but now I've suddenly started seeing this error. Grrr!

I'm running a 3570k on a z77 Gigabyte UEFI motherboard, with 10.8.3 and clover bootloader - I've tried booting without the cache, tried debug=8 and ahcidisk=1, tried clover and chameleon, nothing seems to work, I always, without fail get the still waiting for root device error. I can't get into osx at all. I am running off a Samsung 840 SSD.

I've also tried booting with the installer usb I made, and now I can't see the drives in the osx installer anymore, although they are on chameleon and clover.

Any ideas would be appreciated so much!

Edited by benjyyyy, 03 March 2013 - 07:19 PM.

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts

The patch is awesome, and the implications for me. Go far beyond.

Thank you. Implications far beyond? Sounds ominous. :)

just boot skipping the loading of kernelcache (-f flag for chameleon/chimera, WithKexts flag for clover, ForceLoadKernelcache=0 for XPC) and you will get into OSX installation.
then apply the patch and boot with kernelcache thereafter.

Thanks for replying, yes, exactly. If you can't boot with the kernel cache turned off, then you're having a different problem than the one described in this thread, more likely one of the general root device issues described in this thread:
http://www.insanelym...or-root-device/

PS: Moderators, it would be good for that FAQ to reference this thread (or even a new more newbie friendly explanation of this issue).

Hi everybody, I have a problem with "Still waiting for root device" that is driving me absolutely mental.

benjyyyy, since you're seeing the error even without a cache, you're probably having a more general boot device issue such as described in the FAQ I just referenced.

MacKonsti

MacKonsti

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
It's nice to still have you actively involved bcc9! Thanks for your input and hard work. Do you anticipate changes to your script with the upcoming 10.8.3 update?

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts

It's nice to still have you actively involved bcc9! Thanks for your input and hard work. Do you anticipate changes to your script with the upcoming 10.8.3 update?

I should be able to put together a new version that just gets all the necessary patches from an auto-generated config file. Then there shouldn't need to be any release-to-release maintenance necessary until if&when Apple restructures this kext significantly.
I did already write the auto-gen part before all the hubbub with tonymac folks copying this patch without credits. Just have to find time to package things up, which I'll try to do now (don't need to wait for the 10.8.3 release actually).

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts
Here is a new version of the patch script for folks to try.
I'll move this to post #1 once there's some feedback that it's working OK for folks.
The zip includes 3 files:
patch-ahci-mlion.pl		The patch script itself, as before
patch-ahci.config		The config file with the patches, includes 10.8, 10.8.1, 10.8.2 patch addresses already.
patch-ahci-mlion-addrs.pl	A new script to generate the config file
This new script can be used to auto-update the patch configuration when a new OSX release comes out. This script requires xcode command line tools to determine its patches. Users who do not have xcode can simply download an updated version of patch-ahci.config from anyone else who has run the config file generation script for the new OSX release.

I do not expect to have to maintain patch-ahci.config going forward. Which is good as I do not want to maintain it and likely won't have time to. Users are free to post updated versions of the patch config for others who do not wish to install the xcode command line tools.

Example usage of the patch script:
% ./ahci-generate-patch-config.pl
No existing patch config file was found; a new one will be generated.
Adding patch for OSX 10.8.2:
$patch = \{
			 'relocation_offset' => 19083,
			 'kprintf_arg' => 37490,
			 'kprintf_relocation_index' => '1003',
			 'IOSleep_relocation_index' => '488',
			 'osx_version' => '10.8.2'
		 };
% ./ahci-generate-patch-config.pl
Patch for this OSX version already present in config file
%

Attached Files

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
bcc9 thanks for your awesome work and support to this community.

quanfd2

quanfd2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy