[HELP] Lion 10.7.4 on ASUS T101 MT. Success? Almost!

netbook asus T101 MT Lion upside-dow webcam Intel GMA 3150 sleep issues atom

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,942 posts
[COPIED FROM MY OWN TOPIC IN NEW USERS LOUNGE]

Hello, people!

Finally i got bold enough to try to run lion in my tiny ASUS T101 MT netbook. Surprisingly, it was quite an easy task. Had to install VoodooHDA to get my realtek 239 audio working, and atheros kexts to have a working wi-fi and ethernet recognized as built-in. Trackpad worked out of the box.

However, not everything was such a piece of cake: first, the touchscreen - it works like a left click button, and i tried a lot of researching to make it fully working, to no avail. Second, the ethernet: besides being somehow recognized as built-in, so i can use the app store, it does not work in its original function of connecting to the web. Not really a big worry, because i always use wi-fi, but it shows that something's wrong. Third, the power management: when i try to put the computer to sleep, the screen sleeps, but the system continue running and spending energy. Since it's a laptop, that really sucks! Fourth, the built-in webcam. In fact, it worked out of the box too, and it's even recognized by programs like FaceTime. The problem here is that the image is upside down! I tried solutions like iGlasses to no success. Finally, iCloud: even with a valid apple ID, a 64-bit system and built-in ethernet, i'm blocked to setting an account.

So i'm asking your help: any solutions, so i can have a fully working touchscreen Mac-ASUS?

Thanks in advance!

Forgot one thing: wi-fi does work indeed, but sometimes several reboots are necessary to make it work properly, or else it could take an hour (or even more) to connect (that annoying self-assigned IP problem). I think there is some other atheros wi-fi kext pre-installed, and this next is somehow in conflict with the kext that i installed to make it work...

Another finding: the hotkeys (Fn plus F-something) don't work. At least, don't work for my benefit: when i tried F1, got a kernel panic! I downloaded a package that supposedly fix it in Snow Leo, but i must confess: i'm i little afraid to install it and get more problems than solutions in a system that, otherwise, is running fairly well, except for the supra mentioned issues.

About the graphics card, intel GMA 3150: was recognized natively with resolution of 1024x600, but without QE\CI, and is listed in system report as not having any kext loaded. All of this was kindda expected - there is no support for this card. The curious thing is that i cannot watch youtube videos, because of the lack of graphics acceleration, unless the same video is embedded somewhere else (even when the source is youtube). In this case, i can watch the video without any problems, except sometimes some lagging, and i can watch it even in full screen. Odd.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
For iCloud, besides using new version of chameleon, and ethernet built in and listed as en0 (making wifi en1-important) you also need a valid smbios with matched serial # in /Extra. Chameleon wizard can help make one for you, download it here in the updates and releases section. The problem with your camera is not that the image is upside down, but that the camera was installed upside down :) iglasses should be able to flip the image, when you choose the option to flip or invert the image, what happens? For youtube, try one of the safari extension that will load html5 and only use flash as a last resort or allow it to be played in an external player like VLC, you can also stream it through VLC by url using the advanced open option. Not sure about the rest or how to get touch support when apple does not have any touch devices that run OSX, but good luck.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,942 posts
First of all, thank you for the answers!

The funny thing with iCloud is that the app store (Mac and iTunes) work without any issues. I'll try the smbios fix: i think there's a program called champlist which would do the trick, right?

Thank you for the answer about the html5 extension. Is there something similar for use with google chrome? Curious, as i said, that embedded videos work like a charm, even running full screen.

The problem with iGlasses is that it seems not to recognize the camera. There's not a standalone version of iGlasses, as you certainly know. For iGlasses to work, one must select iGlasses in the audio and video preferences menu of, say, Skype, instead of the built in camera of the netbook. However, when iGlasses is selected, the led that indicates that the camera is in use doesn't appear, same with the iGlasses control panel, and all i got is a black image. Is there any other option?

As for the touchscreen, at least it works as a right-click button. So, it's recognized somehow. Maybe there is some way to port linux drivers for it to mac os x, since both are unix-based systems. Anyway, my programming knowledge is about zero, so this is going to wait a little, hehhe...

Thank you for the answers, once more!

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
you first need to get osx to think you have a isight camera, then you should have the iglasses settings icon in the menubar to rotate the image. check this topic http://www.insanelym...pic=238847&st=0 or if you have a different type there are other similar threads for different brands of built in web cam

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,942 posts
Thanks a lot! I'm reading the topic right now.

Do you have an idea of which kexts should i look for to enable sleep and, most important, hybernation in lion 10.7.4? Thank you.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
if your using a smbios for a laptop, the correct sleep mode should be set already (hibernate vs desktop sleep) but to get it to work I don't think any of the sleep enabler kexts work in Lion and they never worked very well in Snow Leopard. You can extract and edit your DSDT to enable sleep on most systems. Look in the DSDT section here for more info on how to do it, but instead of looking for a pre-patched DSDT, your probably gonna need to learn to do it yourself. More reading :)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,942 posts
Thank you for your help, very much indeed!

So, the only hope for me to get my netbook to hybernate properly (for now, what i've got when i command it to sleep is a simple logout and even a kernel panic if i try the usual hotkey) is to patch the DSDT for my hardware? Is there any tutorial, beginner-friendly of course, from start to end, about how to patch DSDT for our own computers? All the links i found about it, including the forum you recommended me, seems to require a lot of previous knowledge.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
Take a look here, should address every dsdt question you could ever ask :) http://olarila.com/f...b3d842049c75b2f
Start with reading the DSDT patching 101 thread, it is not very long and will give you a better idea of what patches you'll want to look into to achieve you goal. Patched DSDT is not a magic wand that can do everything, but when combined with a properly set up OSX installation, it can be the the last needed piece to bring it all together.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,942 posts
Many thanks! Reading the recommended links right now! It's gonna be hard work indeed: dsdt seems anyway quite an advanced subject. However, thanks to those links, i have a place to start.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,942 posts
Hello, people!

Now i that i gathered some knowledge about dsdt patching, i'm trying things with dsdt editor to finally get my T101-MT to properly sleep, hibernate and maybe get correct power management without needing voodoo power mini or null cpu power management. Any tip about patches for these issues would be much appreciated! Some of them i think i figured out myself by watching the behavior of my computer. For an example, maybe i should try an USB sleep patch, since, when my system "sleeps" (quotes necessary), my Huawei 3G mini modem pane shows a disconnection message, but its lights continue blinking, so USB is not sleeping properly for sure. The backlight of my display also does not sleep, since i get a bright white screen when my system "sleeps" (again, quotes meaningful), and my system easily resumes when i click, say, space. So i search and found at least these USB patches, but, as always, it wouldn't be that easy for me. I'm, as said before, using dsdt editor. All seems to be okay, but when i try to compile the patched dsdt, i got some errors. The app has the functionality of auto detect and correct the errors, but there's some that it cannot correct that keeps the process from finishing. Am i doing something wrong? Here's the errors:

2788 Error _HID suffix must be all hex digits (S010)
4669 Error Object does not exist (DTGP)
4714 Error Object does not exist (DTGP)
4759 Error Object does not exist (DTGP)

And the offending lines of the patched DSDT:

2788 name (_HID, "ASUS010")
4669 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, Ref0f (local0))
4714 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, Ref0f (local0))
4759 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, Ref0f (local0))

Any help will be much appreciated!

P.S.: Lion no more. Mountain Lion now... ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: netbook, asus, T101 MT, Lion, upside-dow webcam, Intel GMA 3150, sleep issues, atom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy