No Video Playback - in Mountain Lion DP4

15 posts in this topic

I have just installed Mountain Lion DP4 and I am not getting any video playback.

Ok, I will first admit that I am relatively new to both Macs and the fine art of the Hackintosh. However, I do think I have a relatively good grasp of how things should be done.

It has taken me most of the day to get the right combination of tweeks in order to get ML installed but I cannot for the life of me figure out why i am not getting video playback. My systems spec is:

P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

i7 2700k

16Gb 1600MHz RAM

Asus GTX 680

Various HDD and SSD.

2x Asus VE248H 24" Monitors

I have networking up running, my GFX card is recognised (unlike my Lion install for obvious reasons), all HDD and SSD are recognised, I have USB3.0 working. In fact about the only thing i have not yet sorted is Audio.

Is there anything obvious anyone can think of that would prevent video playback?

I am not talking about anything over adventurous like MKVs, I am talking about MOV files such as movie trailers or even the various videos on the apple home page such as the new ipad video. I have also tried mov files films on my iPhone to no avail.

It would appear on this basis that I do not have QE/CI, however if i try to boot with GraphicsEnabler=No i just get a black screen. Outside of GraphicsEnabler, what is the best method to get tis working?

Or is perhaps there something missing that is in fact at fault for this not working?

Actually on further consideration, despite having GraphicsEnabler set to No, i do actually have QE/Ci enabled as i just had a very brief game of chess and the pieces moved ok and in launchpad holding down alt made the icons wiggle.

After an install of Flash, youtube now works, however still unable to playing anything like mov files.

Actually, it would appear the prblem with video playback is even stranger than i first thought.

I have now been able to play mov files by changing the preference to open them in Quicktime 7 rather than quicktime player 10. However, I still cannot watch trailers (as an example) or embedded videos on the apple.com site using safari.

I have now installed Firefox and I am suddenly now able to watch all of the embedded vdeos on apple.com and even the movie trailers if I "watch now", however the option to download the trailers, does nto work, therefore i more inclined to believe the problem is software realted rather then a hardware setup/config issue as i perhaps originally thought.

Example link:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/despicableme2/

Can anyone try that site to see what, if anything, they can see when they click on the drop down and choose to download a copy of the trailer, irrespective of size?

Downloading of that trailer works fine. I would double check qe/ci as from what you posted, chess worked, but the other tests you tried were not correct. Making icons wiggle in launch pad has nothing to do with graphics acceleration. The test you thinking of which is no longer possible in ML, was the dash board widget test, where a new widget would be dragged to the dash board resulting in ripples like it was a stone dropped in a pond and a similar sound would be heard at the same time. Can't be done in ML as widgets are now in that launchpad like view and the effect doesn't work. You can verify translucent menubar and try launching the dvd player.app and see if it crashes or not. This app from Apple will also tell you if QE is enabled and some other info. As for choosing a different quicktime player to watch videos, quicktime 10 is the version that comes with OSX, quicktime 7 is the paid pro version sold by apple, not sure if it's been updated in quite a while either.

VideoHardwareInfo.zip

Ok, I was going on the basis that it was a valid test in Lion and therefore would still be the same in ML, i read this here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/QE/CI_Graphics_Acceleration

I have run that app and there is a load of information but i dont see anything specific relating to QE/CI

I also ran the DVD player without issues so have to assume that full acceleration is working, this is further reinforced by the fact that i downloaded eve online and it runs ok, admittedly not as well as through windows 7, but i was getting a respectable 300fps in station.

The problem seems to currently be restricted to a combination of Safari and Quicktime X, not sure if it is a quirk of DP4 or whether i ahve perhaps missed something that is causing the issues.

Not a DP4 problem, cause that's what I'm running too. On the app mentioned, it has a box for Quartz Extreme (QE) with yes or no. I read that wiki where they mentioned the jiggling, news to me :) have you looked at you console logs while trying to do this? If it is just itunes movie preview downloads ad nothing else who cares. That was the first time I ever downloaded one and probably the last time :) If you have a problem with any of the osx core apps, you can go into the installer's packages and double click the essentials and/or additional essentials pkgs to reinstall them without having to booting into the installer or anything

Yeah, Quartz Extreme says yes (QE = Quartz Extreme, doh!)

So far, it appears to be restricted to QuickTime X, embedded videos play ok in Firefox but not in safari. As stated above, mov files do not play in QuickTime X but will in 7.

The movie trailers were used as an example more than a requirement, but if they aren't working then something else might not be working and my OCD will not let it go!!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, Quartz Extreme says yes (QE = Quartz Extreme, doh!)

So far, it appears to be restricted to QuickTime X, embedded videos play ok in Firefox but not in safari. As stated above, mov files do not play in QuickTime X but will in 7.

The movie trailers were used as an example more than a requirement, but if they aren't working then something else might not be working and my OCD will not let it go!!!!

I know the OCD well, I will spend forever making something work that I will never use again, and only used it once just to see if it was working or not. So you do have Quicktime 7 installed huh, with the old looking flat Q icon? Any way if your problem is in fact only with Safari and .mov files, then issue is not even "hackintosh" related per se. First check in Safari go to the menubar and click Safari/Preferences/ then click the extension tab. Remove and extensions that are there other than adblock (which rulez BTW) and give it another go (these are browser extensions I'm talking about here and NOT kernel extension). It's a embedded video setting that is goofed and they are usually tied to different extensions used to force youtube to use HTML vs Flash and other things of that nature. If there are no browser extension and problem persists, wiping Safari's preference files for all users (probably you and System) then reinstalling Safari would be the other thing to try and by all means should work as long as the various preference files are deleted first. You can use the EssentialSoftware.pkg that in included in the ML install app to reinstall, just double click it and hit yes a couple times then your password. That's it. There are always developer Safari releases at the Apple Developer software center too if you want to get even more Beta than just DP4 :)

I dont think the problem is safari related, although the embedded videos do not work in safari yet do in Firefox, the fact is that the ability to download (i.e save to hdd as opposed to play now in browser) the trailers does not work in either browser.

Also .mov files will not play independent of any browser if they are set to run with Quciktime x, but if i set them to run with quicktime 7, then yes they play.

Well, since I never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever use quicktime when there are better free players like vlc and mplayer, or Plex, only other thing that may offer some quicktime help would be installing perian. Quicktime and quicktime x especially are my last choice, and therefore don't get any opportunities to test them. If the problem is that limited as to only apply to itunes trailer downloads or quicktime .mov files I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. That being said, Firefox will not run those trailers as "download" because it won't, that the way it is. Google Chrome will run them as "downloads" and you should get a message by it's tabs asking for quicktime permission. Everything on your system is working as it should except safari download of .mov trailers and watching already downloaded .mov, but the other behaviors described are normal. So fix safari and use vlc to watch already downloaded content, it's newest version finally has attractive UI, especially when using the black interface and it uses far less CPU to watch HD content/supports spdif 5.1 out, and hundreds of other things that are better than quickytime. You can also try the .mov files in itunes, since it uses quicktime to show video, if it works, its your software setting for sure

I was hoping to use it for video editing whihc inlcudes videos of my daughter filmed on iphones, combined with video taken from our HD camcorder, will give VLC a go although i wasn't 100% happy with it in windiws but that could have been because i just didn't like the ui.....

I do ahve a MBP on order so might just keep it for video editing.