Dictate + Airplay Mirroring in DP4 (Update 1)

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

anyone got this working in DP4 (and with DP4 Update 1) ?

For Airplay Mirroring, the Sync menu item didn't show up in the bar. For Dictation, every option in the PrefPane is greyed out, heard some people are able to enable it.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Dictate is working here (both on my Hack and my MBP). Of course, you need a microphone (mine is working through my webcam mic). Do you have a webcam? Is it supported out of the box by OSX or do you use open source drivers to get it to work?

I've never gotten Airplay working.

i have two microphones, one on my webcam (Logitech) and another on my headset. I am using AppleHDA patched for my ALC889.

I can select the Microphone and see activity when talking, but i can't enable Dictation.

dictate.png

Latest OS as in the iOS 6 beta for the  tv right?

I know it worked fine in DP 1 as I tested it on a friend of mine's  TV but I've since never used it again. Might buy me one though, those little bad boys seem quite useful with a nice little price tag.

Latest OS as in the iOS 6 beta for the  tv right?

I know it worked fine in DP 1 as I tested it on a friend of mine's  TV but I've since never used it again. Might buy me one though, those little bad boys seem quite useful with a nice little price tag.

Yes the price is good. But there is no JB for the current (3G) version available, i love running Plex App on my ATV 2G.

Love me some Plex! Don't have apple TV either, but they are better than a ipod shuffle for about the same price. Have gotten airplay to work before without apple tv using different hacks, tweaks and servers, but no good reason to set that stuff up again, don't have anything on the ipad I need to see on the mac/tv or vise versa. My dictation didn't work at first, but it was a network/dns issue connecting to the dictation server that I got sorted. Never greyed out though. Enable location services maybe? And check that you can enable all the icloud services, find my mac probably not needed, but there are ways to make that work too. I'm using a mic that came with a home theater receiver for auto tuning the surround sound levels, seems to work well, but the dictated text doesn't show up until after you click done on the mic, and it then processes it. Would much prefer it in real time or with just a reasonable network/processing delay as you talk. Maybe when it learns how I talk it will be faster?

It may be that dictation isn't supported in some languages. I see that you have German enabled as the OSX language. Try changing to english and see if that fixes it. I know that the dictation actual sends what you say to apple servers to be processed and then sent back to the computer. Might be that they don't have dictation servers for all languages yet.

dictate.png

• Like 1

It may be that dictation isn't supported in some languages. I see that you have German enabled as the OSX language. Try changing to english and see if that fixes it. I know that the dictation actual sends what you say to apple servers to be processed and then sent back to the computer. Might be that they don't have dictation servers for all languages yet.

Switch to English didn't fix it :(

update: ok i found the problem, it has todo with parental control and type of profile. on mobile(network) profiles, its always disabled. creating a new local user, dictate works.

my problem is that when i double tap the hot key the dictation option closes automatically after 1-2 seconds. any idea why.

You gotta get your networking problems sorted first, dictation is sent to apple servers to be translated into text, then back to your computer. So if iCloud or other similar apple internet based services aren't working, dictation will not either :(

Mine did not work initially due to dns issue caused by migrating my DP3 install into DP4 using Migration Assistant. DNS errors were present in Console log when trying to use dictation. It was also causing issues with screen share and afp with my MacBook on my LAN not connecting locally and having to use my dyndns (public IP) address to connect manually. Having Migration Assistant copy system settings from my prior install to the new one apparently messed up some of the settings or they were not compatible with the new release. To fix it I went into /Library/Preferences and /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and deleted every plist that had a created or modified date prior to the date I did the install, then rebooted. Everything worked perfectly after that and ever since.

strange :( so this might be ethernet related...weird. I have wifi. Notes and reminders both work. I'll fix the Ethernet first and come back with the results. Thanks for your help.

i think eep357 is right, iCloud/App Store/Dicate expect a working (BuiltIn) Ethernet Card as "en0". Apple uses the Mac address of the Ethernet card to identify the machine.. or something like that. Just enable/install Ethernet drivers for your card, if you use Chameleon for booting, make sure "Buildin Ethernet" is enabled.

I hope this helps :)

Ok, i figured out how to get Airplay to work and it's not the most elegant solution. It appears you need a Sandy Bridge cpu with integrated graphics (HD3000). For those that use the HD3000 as your primary graphics, Airplay should work. For those of us that have discreet graphics cards, we need to enable the onboard graphics in order for OSX to be able to use the streaming and encoding capabilities of the CPU/GPU.

I have an ATI 6850 connected to an Apple Cinema Display via Display Port and a 22 LC via DVI. In the bios i enabled the iGPU as the primary graphics card. Once i rebooted, both of my displays were blank (as it's trying to send video over the HD3000 which nothing is connected to). OSX loads and the screens finally turn on at the user login window. Once i log in to my account, i have the menubar icon to mirror the display via Airplay to my AppleTVs. I can confirm that both the onboard HD3000 and discreet ATI 6850 are enabled and recognized by OSX by looking at the Graphics section of System Information.

The only downside is that i can't see anything during the boot process until the login window pops up. Anyone know of a way to have the onboard graphics enabled but have the default output of the discreet card? My motherboard and cpu specs are in my signature.

Ok, i figured out how to get Airplay to work and it's not the most elegant solution. It appears you need a Sandy Bridge cpu with integrated graphics (HD3000). For those that use the HD3000 as your primary graphics, Airplay should work. For those of us that have discreet graphics cards, we need to enable the onboard graphics in order for OSX to be able to use the streaming and encoding capabilities of the CPU/GPU.

I have an ATI 6850 connected to an Apple Cinema Display via Display Port and a 22 LC via DVI. In the bios i enabled the iGPU as the primary graphics card. Once i rebooted, both of my displays were blank (as it's trying to send video over the HD3000 which nothing is connected to). OSX loads and the screens finally turn on at the user login window. Once i log in to my account, i have the menubar icon to mirror the display via Airplay to my AppleTVs. I can confirm that both the onboard HD3000 and discreet ATI 6850 are enabled and recognized by OSX by looking at the Graphics section of System Information.

The only downside is that i can't see anything during the boot process until the login window pops up. Anyone know of a way to have the onboard graphics enabled but have the default output of the discreet card? My motherboard and cpu specs are in my signature.

Is that using beta dev preview version of IOS on the appleTV or using current consumer release version?

Is that using beta dev preview version of IOS on the appleTV or using current consumer release version?

Both. I have 5.0.2 running on one ATV and beta dev preview running on another and it works with both of them.