Working work in progress!

13 posts in this topic

So I finally tamed my AMD beast to run vanilla on 10.6.3!

So for the people with a similar setup, here's my method and what Does(n't) work. Followed by questions, Stay tuned~

System Specs

• Asus M5A97 Motherboard
  • AMD FX-8150 (8-Core) CPU @ Factory Clock
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia GTX 560 Ti (PNY XLR8 version)
  • Linksys WMP300N
  • Corsair 128 GB SSD

Steps

• I used TM's Legacy Boot CD. It's about 1 year old. Bite me.
  • I used Asus' Optimal Settings in the BIOS, with some changes to the Power management (pretty much all disabled on the page with C1E state options)
  • After booting and refreshing to see the install disk, enter in: FixFSB=Yes PciRoot=1 -v. PCIRoot is option depending if you have a compatible Graphics card or not.
  • Run through the installation process.
  • Go back to TM's Legacy boot screen.
  • This time, hover over your HSF+ parition. Enter this: FixFSB=Yes PciRoot=1 MaxCPU=1 Maxmem=4096 Arch=i386
  • It took probably 10 second to boot.

Thats it. You should see the Intro movie and the Welcome screen; congrats!

Things That Don't work(On my system)

• Audio (I'm using the Realtek audio output instead of the HDMI output on the GTX 560)
  • Graphics Acceleration
  • Wifi (A simple Kext edit will enable the broadcom version of the WMP300n. Euro ones work OOTB)
  • Full memory usage (?)

Questions

• How can I upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8? Is their a standard update package?
  • After I update to 10.6.8, I'm assuming I can just update to Lion and use MagicMod CD. Is this correct?
  • What's a good all-in-one kext installer/DSDT patcher? (Similar to Mutibea...you know.)

You can't run Lion on an AMD CPU, there is no patched kernel available.

/EDIT found this but there's probably a reason why people aren't exactly shouting it from the rooftops:

http://www.osxlatitu...rogress-update/

Keep an eye on Nawcom's blog: http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=941

For more information click the "AMD" tag to the left for related blog posts.

Unfortunately you cannot have hardware accelerated graphics on Snow Leopard with Geforce 5xx cards, they are only supported on Lion and up.

Also, two things;

You are running non-vanilla, retail OS X.

"Vanilla" means an unmodified kernel and that's not possible on an AMD CPU. It used to mean an untouched /System/Library/Extensions folder as well, but as of Lion people don't do that anymore, see post further down for an explanation.

The PCIRoot setting has to do with your motherboard, not your video card.

Chameleon tries to autodetect this value but it's not always possible and in those cases Chameleon assumes it is 0.

When PCIRoot is not detected (or manually overridden, as you have) correctly, GraphicsEnabler- and EthernetBuiltIn=y will not work.

I was always under the assumption that PciRoot had to do with the card itself and how it was handled by the system, thanks for clearing that up.

I downloaded the MagicMod CD beta, which included two 10.7.3 / 10.7.4 AMD kernels. I believe you, but I want to check for myself that they don't work first.

Who knows, it actually might work?

Oh, and if it makes a difference, my CPU supports SSE3 and SSE4a. It's a new feature to AMD, starting with the Bulldozer line. I would think this would make a difference somehow. Unless the Lion issue doesn't have anything to do with SSE3/4 emulation.

Try it and let us know!

Not SSE3, it's SSSE3 that's required on Lion, note the extra S. The Bulldozer and Bobcat architectures are the first from AMD to support it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSSE3

For more information and an interesting Hackintosh history lesson, read the Voodoo Kernel pdf manual:

http://code.google.c...cumentation.pdf

• What's a good all-in-one kext installer/DSDT patcher? (Similar to Mutibea...you know.)

That piece of software is neither a kext installer nor a DSDT patcher, it only can install kexts it has included in its payload as any pkg installer would do, as for DSDT, it just moves your own previously patched one from the desktop to the extra folder, which the Finder can do just as easy, not much fancy about that. Try Kext Wizard and you will need to patch your own DSDT but there are apps that can help extract, view and compile it such as DSDT Editor and DSDTSE

Real men use DSDTSE and, if they're running Snow Leopard, keep all their patched kernel extensions in /Extra/Extensions* where permissions aren't important. Chameleon is responsible for passing on any kernel extensions that it finds in /E/E to the OS and it doesn't care about permissions and ownership.

*If you're running Lion you'll have to disable the kernel cache if you want to load extensions from /E/E. When Chameleon 2.1 detects Lion it disables the kernel cache automatically. Once you're done installing and everything is in place you can then enable the kernel cache via /Extra/org.Chameleon.Boot.plist by adding the UseKernelCache=y flag. Nobody uses /E/E anymore because it takes decades to boot with the kernel cache disabled.

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like i was grouping the two together.

What I really meant was "Whats a good all-in-one kext solution (like [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) for AMD systems. However, i found out that I can actually use some of the kexts included in that app.

Then, "What's a good DSDT patcher?"

@Gringo

Yes, I do have the new FX-8150 with the Bulldozer Arch, so I will most deffinitely be trying that out! Especially if Lion supports what I got.

I bought it off the App store though, so lets hope that's not a hamper. My computer last time would give me the dreaded authetication error, way back before anyone knew how to solve it ><.

Hm. I guess my post didn't go through.

However, I found something out.

If I took off the Maxcpu argument, it would KP consistently with CPU6 (either physical core 6 or core 7, im unsure.

So in the spirit of realism, i've dumbed it down to 4. This should keep it consistent with a core i5 or i7.

Though the core i7 has 8 threads and 4 cores, while the Fx-8150 has 8 cores and 8 threads.

so far system boot time is !$#$ fast!

3 seconds from boot string to loading page.. and this is with no enablers :plane:

I also think im able to utilize all 16 GB memory. Woopie!

Real men use Kext Wizard too! jk, they actually use terminal and do everything from the command line :) It wasn't that you put 2 things together, but that beastie is neither of those 2 things. It is-in my opinion- a repository of some kexts and a few other files (i.e. smbios) that can be found else where, but are gathered together from those sources into a single download, with a set of kexts chosen to cover a decent range of hardware, but primarily geared towards gigabyte/intel platforms. There are some kexts with it that I have and do use, and I understand if you don't know where or how to look for what you need, getting a bunch of them in one download is helpful, problem is you don't need 99% of them but may still install half of them. And it's installer fails to install them quite often as well. But extracting the kexts using Pacafist and saving them to a folder for you to install normally when and if needed is also an option. OSx86.nets has a huge repo of kexts and such so you can find all of them there too. We got the best knowledge right here though!

Hm. I guess my post didn't go through. However, I found something out. If I took off the Maxcpu argument, it would KP consistently with CPU6 (either physical core 6 or core 7, im unsure. So in the spirit of realism, i've dumbed it down to 4. This should keep it consistent with a core i5 or i7. Though the core i7 has 8 threads and 4 cores, while the Fx-8150 has 8 cores and 8 threads. so far system boot time is !$#$ fast! 3 seconds from boot string to loading page.. and this is with no enablers :plane: I also think im able to utilize all 16 GB memory. Woopie!
Pretty cool, your a friggin pioneer man! Although I won't be buying a AMD CPU anytime soon, keep at! Good work thus far :thumbsup_anim:
  • Like 1

congrats with the progress King John I just wanted to add that I suggest if you're going Lion in the near future that you try to stick with the S/L/E route instead of following snow leo with the E/E it saves a lot of headaches in the long run to know all your kexts are in one place and not scattered between two different locations.

@ GV So the female population of InsanelyMac is to use...? :wallbash:

Thanks guys

I guess i am.. I just bought it because the i7 was a cool $100 more than the FX-8150.

Who can argue with more power for less money?

And I definitely will stick with the S/L/E. I like that better than the E/E route.

I managed to kill a DVD R/W, but I'll hopefully have 10.7.x up before 3.

...holy {censored} its already 2:30...

Ah {censored}, somehow I managed to Chmod 0 an entire kext. -__-

You'd think sudo chmod 755 saidkext.kext would fix the problem, but it just changes the permissions of the kext file, not the files inside.

if anyone has a script or manual terminal commands for fixing and entire kext(and it's sub contents), that'd be awesome.

Edit:

Nevermind, I figured it out:

sudo chmod -R -L 755 IO80211Family.kext

• Like 1