AtherosL1Ethernet problem

18 posts in this topic

I have successfully installed Mountain Lion DP4, but I have problems with my wired network.

I'm using AtherosL1Ethernet.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext. After reboot, it says that cable is unplugged. If I go to my initial Lion installation and reinstall the kexts, it's working, but on my next reboot, my cable is unplugged again. Off course the cable is always where it should be, I think that ML doesn't always load my network kext, anybody knows why it behaves like this?

• Like 1

With some more info on your ethernet controller, might be able to help. Exact model and vendor and device IDs. Also did you do a clean install or install onto existing OSX (upgrade)?

And the version of both the Atheros and IONetworking kexts your are using, and I don't mean what version of some software you may have used to instal them, but the kext it's self

• Like 1

I will investigate that. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L650-1QJ. The thing is under Lion I used the xxxxxx lion edition that includes AtherosL1Ethernet.kext and one from http://www.osx86.net...?do=file&id=895. I noticed if I use xxxxx under Mountain Lion, it messes with my install, so I just copied the IONetworkingFamily.kext from Lion and repaired permissions. This messed up my wifi, so I went back to the original IONetworkingFamily.kext

10-4, Although the IO80211family.kext which handles wifi is separate from IONetworkingfamily.kext, it is dependent on it, so older Lion version broke that. The reverse is not true so you could goober up the IO80211 kext with no ill effect on your ethernet. Grab System Info.app from the new release section here and use it to get additional info about your devices. Assuming you got orig ML versions of those back in place, what is the version of just the Atheros plug-in? just right click on it and "get info"

And the reason I asked about an upgrade, or also any migration assistant used, is many of the preferences it can copy from prior versions will screw things up pretty good, and gotta wipe out just about every plist in s/l/preferences and s/l/preferences/system preferences/ that has a created or modified date prior to the date you installed ML.

I installed ML with myhack 3.1 and yes everything I messed up, I replaced back with the original file. I'll get back to you with more details later today. Also Chameleon wizard has an "enable built in Ethernet" function. I'll try that as well.

IK, it was my post in that thread too :) Adding EthernetBuiltIn to chameleon is to have already working ethernet detected by OSX as internal en0 to fix app store and icloud. It's possible it could resolve your issue, but chances are if your ethernet controller is not natively supported, it won't, but should be done regardless as it will be needed when it does work either way.

Try this, use Kext Wizard to install to S/L/E and then repair permissions and rebuild cache using Kext Wizard as well. May need to delete any networks in system pref and any networking plists in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ File is nothing too special, just IONetworking from DP4 with newest version plug-in pre installed and verified dev ID is in in it's plist. If still not working there are a few other things yet to try.

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

• Like 1

Installing the kext gave me cpu0 kernel panic. I had to boot with cpus=1. Managed to log in to Icloud and Appstore, however I cannot use my system to it's full potential. The thing is I boot my system up with myhack usb stick, installed chameleon either restarts or stops at grachics card check. I will experiment more. I'll try installing DSDT, perhaps it will fix the cpu kernel panic. Thank you for the kext. I am one step closer to fix everything.

If you need myhack usb to boot vs installed chameleon, it has a kext in it's extra folder or kext cache, or better smbios, or boot.plist option that your needing to have also added to your permanent installation. You can view the contents of it by enabling finder to show all files and see whats different. If there is a kext cache, Kext wizard can unpack it so you can view the individual extensions.

I managed to solve all this by installing chameleon 2.1 svn 1820. I read somewhere that specific version worked for someone else too. Now I can boot without usb or cpus=1 flag. I can log into Icloud and the Appstore. On ocasions I get a cpu0 or cpu2 kernel panic, but after a restart it goes back to normal. Big thanks for the provided kext, I owe you a beer :D

I managed to solve all this by installing chameleon 2.1 svn 1820. I read somewhere that specific version worked for someone else too. Now I can boot without usb or cpus=1 flag. I can log into Icloud and the Appstore. On ocasions I get a cpu0 or cpu2 kernel panic, but after a restart it goes back to normal. Big thanks for the provided kext, I owe you a beer :D

sorry to bother

but can u do a test ? I have the same device-id as yours

but if you unplug your cable, then restart

i suppose you're sure to encounter kp every time you boot

no exception for me

I think I know what you mean. It happened to me too a few times. After installing the above chameleon version and removing and re-adding the wifi support under networks, it got fixed somehow. I don't have any ehternet cable plugged in, nor have I added it to my network devices. I'll attach some screen with what settings I have now.

I think I know what you mean. It happened to me too a few times. After installing the above chameleon version and removing and re-adding the wifi support under networks, it got fixed somehow. I don't have any ehternet cable plugged in, nor have I added it to my network devices. I'll attach some screen with what settings I have now.

Maybe it's better to quote others post so that they know you've replied : )

yep, one solution is to delete the Ethernet(cable connection) in systempreferences/Network

another is obviously to turn off the nic in bios

Maybe it's better to quote others post so that they know you've replied : )

yep, one solution is to delete the Ethernet(cable connection) in systempreferences/Network

another is obviously to turn off the nic in bios

So did it finally work for you?

So did it finally work for you?

i didn't try though

cuz i have to use static ip address

i don't feel like setting it up every time i boot

Once any networking has been set up, i.e. got wifi working but no ethernet, the fist device you get working will be assigned as en0. So if you then get ethernet working after wifi, it will be en1, and this config will not work properly for apple servers. It is possible to manually edit the network interfaces plist in /System/Library/Preferences/SytemConfiguration/ or deleting the networking plists from that location along with removing them from the systempreferences networking GUI, then rebooting and enabling ethernet first, then wifi. I had issue b4 where wifi would still grab en0 before ethernet, fix was to either unplug wifi card until ethernet is assigned en0, shut down then plug wifi back in reboot and add it second, or edit plist which is easier for me