[Solved] F12 to Open/Close tray? (see page 4)

F12 Eject Tray Optical Drive

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

JackButler

JackButler

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I don't remember what I did in Lion... But now in Mountain Lion DP4, how do you set the F12 key to open/close optical drive tray? :worried_anim:

btw, I changed Dashboard shortcut to F10 & I don't have an eject button on this apple keyboard.

edit: download and use AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext... see page 4 @janel_f's post.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,864 posts
Isn't there a preference pane somewhere where you can set these things?

Does the Apple keyboard have a "FN" key? Maybe it's option-F12 or Apple-F12 or something?

JackButler

JackButler

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I've read that somewhere... but no I don't have an FN key. btw forgot to say I'm using my old Apple G3 desktop keyboard.

everdone

everdone

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
My experience is that if you tap F12, Dashboard opens. Depress and hold F12, the drive tray opens (this is without making any changes in shortcuts).

JackButler

JackButler

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
@everdone: I tried that dose not work for me. So I changed Dashboard to F10. I usually kill Dashboard all together but since it's DP, I kept it on to check out.

everdone

everdone

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Do you have the Eject icon in the menu bar? If you click and hold on that icon it should indicate "Open Drive F12".

If no Eject icon, is you drive recognized under Disk Burning?

JackButler

JackButler

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Yes I do, it says Open and has the exact name & model of my Pioneer drive.

everdone

everdone

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I tried using an Apple keyboard and holding F12 will indeed not open the drive. Only the Eject key will open the drive. I have several Windows keyboards and the two I have tried will both open the drive by holding F12.

Obviously there is a difference, but I don't know why or how!

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
May need to check, or uncheck, the check box.

Attached Files

everdone

everdone

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
What actually appears in Keyboard Preferences apparently depends on the keyboard attached. I have a Windows style keyboard attached and it has neither the F1, F2 choice nor the Bluetooth setup that eep shows (I bet he has a bluetooth keyboard attached that has the Fn key).

If I connect an Apple keyboard the Change Keyboard button is not present. My conclusion is that Mac OS senses the keyboard and its features and configures accordingly.

Apparently Apple keyboards are not mapped the same as Windows keyboards as far as the F keys are concerned, hence F12 on the G3 keyboard will not active the drive tray.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,864 posts
Yeah I don't see those settings either.

I have a Logitech Wave OSX/Windows keyboard that uses Logitech software on both OS.
On this keyboard, the F12 key also has the eject symbol on it and I can open/close my DVD drive by pressing Fn+F12 in both OS X and Windows. In OS X pressing F12 by itself opens Dashboard.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
interesting, that screen shot was from my hackintosh which has both apple bluetooth keyboard and a dell usb keyboard attached(for bios and stuff), my mac book with just built in keyboard has exact same settings panel except for the change keyboard type and battery meter in the lower left, both have the setup bluetooth keyboard option while bluetooth is disabled on macbook atm so it doesn't steal my keyboard/trackpad when pairing with the hack, it's running 10.7.4 cause it can't run ML :(. Gonna try disabling apple bluetooth keyboard and reboot with just the dell USB keyboard in a little while and see what happens. Also have a Logitech s510 OSX wireless USB keyboard I gave to my roommate I'll re-confiscate and try out too

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
OK, without apple bluetooth keyboard, check box is gone. Booting with only the dell windows keyboard, holding F12 will eject DVD and then 1 more press to close tray, otherwise F12 gives dashboard. Logitech apple keyboard, older model, s 510 (circa 2005) without any logitech software installed, F12 will only show/hide dashboard but it has separate eject button that works fine, also it's power button works to shut down and sleep as well as wake. I know it doesn't help anyone much to say mine all works just fine, but there you go.

JackButler

JackButler

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Well I also tried my Win keyboard... which is recognized as a Dell USB keyboard (I don't usually have it connected) but even so F12 dose not open tray.

Attached Files

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
F12 not working on Mountain Lion GM with my Daskeyboard, works fine in 10.7. Tried using the Keymap4Macbook pref pane but no dice.

Larx

Larx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Music, hackintosh, mac
Any new info about F12? I hate to click with mouse to

open/close drives?!

:angry:

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
Just checked again using my Dell usb keyboard under the GM and even with apple bluetooth keyboard connected, holding f12 for about 2 seconds opens the tray just fine still. I wish I knew why mine works when nobody else's does. Got pretty standard stuff going. USB keyboard is enabled in bios, ECHI handoff is disabled. USBBusFix=Yes in boot.plist. No PS/2 kexts installed. Don't know what else to say.

nekonoko

nekonoko

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 28 posts
@eep357 - do you have your AHCI controller configured as ESB2 via DSDT? I made that change recently and my F12 eject works, not sure if it is related.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
ESB2 bro
to fix drives ejecting when sleeping

nekonoko

nekonoko

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 28 posts
That's probably it then :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: F12, Eject, Tray, Optical Drive

Topic Stats Last Post Info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy