Genuine Airport Atheros AR5418 10.7.4

mickeyd453

12 posts in this topic

Hi

I have a real airport card but i just cant sem to get it going in 10.7.4, i have tried this card after my BCM4321 stopped working in 10.7.4 also

According to lspci the card is recognised correctly as

05:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5418 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

but i just cant get it to be recognised and all i see from the OS is 'No WiFi Hardware Installed'

dmesg tells me

Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily, v2.0: already have loaded v9.9.

Error: offset_0x100 = 0xffffffff

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros9380/AirPortDriverAtheros9380-425.14.7/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:962] load failed

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-411.19.4/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:1149] load failed

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily, v2.0: already have loaded v9.9.

kxld[com.apple.iokit.IOUserEthernet]: The super class vtable '__ZTV20IOEthernetController' for vtable '__ZTV24IOUserEthernetController' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.

kxld[com.apple.iokit.IOUserEthernet]: The super class vtable '__ZTV20IOEthernetController' for vtable '__ZTV24IOUserEthernetController' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.

Can't load kext com.apple.iokit.IOUserEthernet - link failed.

Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.iokit.IOUserEthernet.

Kext com.apple.iokit.IOUserEthernet failed to load (0xdc008016).

Failed to load kext com.apple.iokit.IOUserEthernet (error 0xdc008016).

any ideas guys?

thanks

You're using a patched IONetworkingFamily.kext (9.9) that's conflicting with the unmodified (2.0) one. Get rid of it.

Judging by the other error messages, something in the patched IONetworkingFamily.kext you have is not compatible with Lion.

If you need to patch something in IONetworkingFamily.kext, patch the one that goes with your version of OS X, not some random old version.

According to lspci the card is recognised correctly as

05:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5418 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

Common misconception.

A device appearing correctly in the LSPCI output has nothing to do with the host OS, you cannot rely on this information as an indicator of functionality. LSPCI pulls device information from its own database and it will show this information no matter if the device is actually working or not.

OK its very strange but here is the error i get

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

kxld[com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family]: The super class vtable '__ZTV20IOEthernetController' for vtable '__ZTV17IO80211Controller' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.

kxld[com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family]: The super class vtable '__ZTV20IOEthernetController' for vtable '__ZTV17IO80211Controller' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.

Can't load kext com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family - link failed.

Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family.

Kext com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family failed to load (0xdc008016).

Dependency com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family of kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros failed to load.

Kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros failed to load (0xdc008015).

Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros (error 0xdc008015).

Kext load request buffer from user space still retained by a kext; probable memory leak.

DSMOS has arrived

FakeSMC: key not found BEMB, length - 1

I have used a stock IONetworkingFamily.kext and a stock IO80211Family.kext from a MBP of mine running 10.7.4 - Anyone got any clues?

I notice that my device id's for the NIC are not in either the Atheros21 or Atheros40 kexts so does anyone know which of these kexts to put the device id into? i have tried into 21 but it has not made any difference.

Any help appreciated as i want to be able to move from 10.7.3, which i am running with the BCM4321, but i also want to keep as vanilla as possible.

thanks

Nothing new. I'll try to say the same thing that I already said in different words

Version 9.9 of that kernel extension doesn't exist. Someone patched it and upped the version number to get it to load before anything with a lower version number, but the patched version is actually older than the unpatched one and this creates a conflict with some of the plugins inside IONetworkingFamily, one of which is for your wireless ethernet.

You need to locate the patched one and get rid of it it before you can continue to fix any other networking issue.

OK seems that a lot of the errors were caused by trying to use a 32 bit kernel as i note that when i remove arch=i386 the card still does not work however the error is

Kernel is LP64

macx_swapon SUCCESS

Waiting for DSMOS...

Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

SMC::smcInitHelper ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros9380/AirPortDriverAtheros9380-431.14.10/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:962] load failed

DSMOS has arrived

and thats it - any clue on how to debug this further?

thanks

Dude, for 3rd time, 32bit, 64bit, 45bit, whatever, this is your problem

"Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily, v2.0: already have loaded v9.9."

The version 9.9 is already loaded. Apple does not jump from 2.0 to version 9.9, but people who patch kexts do in order to force them to load, OSX will load the kext with highest version number, so this is done to make it load even if apple updates the vanilla version of the kext. Track that patched kext down and you should be OK if you didn't mess to much stuff up in the process. Check in Extra folder, in S/L/E, in Extra folder of other OSX installations you may have too, and rebuild kernel cache.

• Like 1

I am not getting the refusing new kext anymore, i had sorted that. The error i got was the whole error i pasted. It seems to be related to the PCI bus and the fact that this is a real airport card but not seen on the PCMCIA bus and so failing to load.

I have a few ideas.

thanks

You can try using the IO80211 kext from 10.7.3, there have been some changes to the Atheros21.kext plugin inside of it. I had wifi issues on my apple Atheros AR5008 (atheros 5416) on the ML DP3 update that came out at the same time as 10.7.4 and had to roll back to previous version. Newest ML DP4 has changed the plugin to Atheros40.kext which works fine again.

well using a non apple atheros card it just works so i decided to brand the non working card to generic atheros rather than apple and voila works fine. It seems to be that the OS sees it on the bus somewhere that it does not expect to see a real apple card and therefore fails to initialize. It still shows up as an airport extreme with supported airdrop etc so all good.

Its also supported OOTB in ML DP4 so looks like i am set for the next step also.

thanks