AMD Radeon problems DP4

34 posts in this topic

Installed DP4 with little trouble, but i'm still having this graphics issue. Basic low res was working out of the box, then I added my dev id to ATI5000Controller (68be, ati 5750). I've got full resolution but no QE/CI. I tried also adding my dev ID to the AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext just as a guess. No effect. Any more ideas?

I remember the days when Mac OS would scale down the eye candy for machines without QE/CI. Now it just laughs at you.

Just FYI, I first tried to use my ATI5000Controller from 10.7 since the dev IDs were already there and it worked so well in Lion. Doesn't work. 10.8 requires a newer driver.

Second that. How did you fix it?

I'm not trying to be rude, but it really helps no one when you say you found a solution, but then don't share it.

EDIT: SUCCESS

Adding my devID to AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext did the trick. I made a noob mistake the first time and put it in the wrong section. There are many sections in the info.plist which have devIDs. Be sure to put yours under the correct family of card. For example, my card is a 5750 which is a "juniper". If you do not know the family of your card check wikipedia.

In short, your devID needs to be in the controller kext (e.g. ATI5000Controller.kext) and in the correct section of the accelerator kext. (5/6xxx cards use AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext, 4xxx cards use ATIRadeonX2000.kext)

If you cannot boot to the OS, try booting to your working Lion or SL install. Copy over the kexts that need to be editied, edit, then replace them using kext wizard.

Hope this helps someone.

This is really appreciated! Thank you!

• Like 1

I now have full resolution and QE/CI across all three of my displays, whoop whoop! Well two of my displays that is, the one that is connected via VGA isn't using it's full resolution and clicking 'scaled' instead of 'best for display' in System Preferences crashes System Preferences.

Have you fixed this problem? I installed my 5750 with no problems once the DevIDs were added, but I just installed a 5450 in another machine and i'm having the same problem. System profiler shows this card as a Radeon 5000 and I seem to have QE/CI working, but I am stuck at 800x600 resolution. Clicking on "scaled" in the display options causes a crash before seeing a list of available resolutions. I mean, those 800x600 pixels each look very nice, but i need a few more of 'em.

UPDATE:

I found a workaround, but not a solution. I booted the computer with this monitor (a 32" LCD TV) connected to HDMI instead of VGA. Now all resolutions are available. I then plugged in the VGA and unplugged the HDMI. All resolutions are still available.

After rebooting the resolution was back to 800x600 and the problem returned. I need VGA for my TV because HDMI requires underscanning which really messes up the image quality. Please PLEASE help if you know a solution.

No lucky. I've tried to remove

Ati6000Controller.kext, at boot suprisely; I have the half screen to

install ML DP4 (1/2 black screen; 1/2 panel to install).

Sorry for the late reply. Anyway, make sure your device ID is included in the plist. Your sig says Asus 6600 series, what GPU is it exactly? Not all device IDs are present in the kexts.

Regardless, assuming you have a working 10.7.x installed, you can simply copy the device IDs from the 10.7.x kexts into the corresponding ones in 10.8; This way you know your device ID will be in the list.

The 1/2 black screen/install pane is a glitch. The installer correctly passed the info to the display but then the system couldn't match it with a valid device ID and cancelled. Not always will removing the ATI6000Controller.kext work if your card isn't natively supported by OS X, even if the model of the card is, hence why some device IDs have to be added.

I just installed a 5450 in another machine and i'm having the same problem. System profiler shows this card as a Radeon 5000 and I seem to have QE/CI working, but I am stuck at 800x600 resolution. Please PLEASE help if you know a solution.

Easy, the ATI Radeon 5450 HD is not supported in OS X. You can try this method:

1. Go to this url http://www.kexts.com...one%5D.zip.html

2 .Downloaded and uncompressed the ATI_HD5450_0x68f9_SL[All_in_one].zip

3. Deleted the files

boot

Chameleon_HD5000.pkg

4. Placed the following files into /Extra/Extensions/

1002_68f9.rom

ATI5000Injector.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATY_Init.kext

5. Restarted the Hackintosh

Or, you can go out and splurge a little bit on an ATI/AMD card that is compatible with OS X.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. Anyway, make sure your device ID is included in the plist. Your sig says Asus 6600 series, what GPU is it exactly? Not all device IDs are present in the kexts.

Regardless, assuming you have a working 10.7.x installed, you can simply copy the device IDs from the 10.7.x kexts into the corresponding ones in 10.8; This way you know your device ID will be in the list.

The 1/2 black screen/install pane is a glitch. The installer correctly passed the info to the display but then the system couldn't match it with a valid device ID and cancelled. Not always will removing the ATI6000Controller.kext work if your card isn't natively supported by OS X, even if the model of the card is, hence why some device IDs have to be added.

It is okay now. Just replaced the ATI kext in USB installer by the same thing from ML DP3 (DP3 has 17 ATI*.kext).

Even now, I've installed GM Lion successfully.

Thank you for help.

It is okay now. Just replaced the ATI kext in USB installer by the same thing from ML DP3 (DP3 has 17 ATI*.kext). Even now, I've installed GM Lion successfully. Thank you for help.

You have mentioned this for LION GM? Do you have anything to tell about Mountain Lion GM ? as i have many issues on Radeon 6850 like no proper Vram or white screen problem.

Share your opinions

You have mentioned this for LION GM? Do you have anything to tell about Mountain Lion GM ? as i have many issues on Radeon 6850 like no proper Vram or white screen problem.

Share your opinions

Hi,

Indeed I had the problem white screen at boot.

Fortunately I have ML DP3 working very well (made by MyHack 3.2).

What I did:

Removed some ATI*kext from USB installer ML DP4 or GM Mountain made by MyHack 3.2 (here it has only 7 ATI*.kext).

Copy from

DP3 ( 17 ATI*.kext containing about 30 Mb) to USB installer with permission...

Put a flag at boot: -v PciRoot=1

With this action, ML DP4 and GM Mountain installed successfully.

I hope this help.

• Like 1

Hi,

Indeed I had the problem white screen at boot.

Fortunately I have ML DP3 working very well (made by MyHack 3.2).

What I did:

Removed some ATI*kext from USB installer ML DP4 or GM Mountain made by MyHack 3.2 (here it has only 7 ATI*.kext).

Copy from

DP3 ( 17 ATI*.kext containing about 30 Mb) to USB installer with permission...

Put a flag at boot: -v PciRoot=1

With this action, ML DP4 and GM Mountain installed successfully.

I hope this help.

You are Brilliant i did what you exactly said and ML GM works perfect.

Thanks a lot and God Bless You !

• 11 months later...

My signature.. and a guide about making your own custom personalities can be found here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273937&hl=&fromsearch=1

Also, a rather odd quirk with some AMD HD5450-based cards - if you connect only via HDMI (this is actualy typical if you also use HDMI audio) while Windows will get the correct EDID via HDMI, for some reason, OS X will not.

Because both my GPU (Visiontek AMD HD5450 iSilence 512MB) and display (Acer H233H.bmid) support simultaneous DVI and HDMI, I connected both ports to both ends.

*BOOM* I now have correct EDID information and a proper display via HDMI (the HDMI connection is the default, as it should be; further, audio via HDMI still works).