Is Hackintosh scene nearing its end , judging from the new MBP?

57 posts in this topic

Indiandragon:

If you think it's too hard, tough titty for you, cry me a river, {censored} please etc etc. Consider a different hobby!

I am a hackintosher since OSX Tiger, So I guess I kinda like this hobby :wink2:

During those days we had to depend on distro's. But with snow leopard , doing a retail install from scratch was very impressive.

Remember that we're doing something that's not supposed to be done in the first place. Of course you will have to jump through a few hoops.

And let me clarify, retail is always preferred (for a number of reasons, not just the moral ones) but I'm not against distros as a learning experience or stepping stone to get to retail OS X.

Absolutely .

@ GV I beg to differ sir, I really think those corporate heads do think of us wonderful people :P

@ Indiandragon Apple is not gonna support us before their Mac community we aren't a main focus so them killing it off they have no reason to care because they hold no obligations to us.

• Like 1

The new MBP just came out and the gtx 680 magically begins to work and you talk about a possible end for the Hackintosh scene? I think they secretly give us freebies like this so we can fuel the company in a more secretive way. Trust me if a billion dollar company wanted to get rid of us they would faster than a magic mouse, magic trackpad, or magic eraser ever could.

I think a free magic eraser would be great, those work really good for cleaning the kitchen counter tops :) Never thought about using one to clean my magic trackpad or keyboard though, that could result in some magic awesomeness.
  • Like 2

As for buying Lion from the app store for $29, paying $99 for a developer account gets you a legit Appstore download of each OS release along with the $59 server editions of each one, pre-release versions of OS's and other pre-release software along with other developer tools and software not available otherwise. An exceptional value if you have use for more than just 1 $29 or $20 OS upgrade per year. As a side note, on real mac, using the system restore feature requires apple ID and password to verify appstore purchase version of the OS before it will complete the restore(but not till after it spends 3 hours downloading it first)

I heard this same silly notion when the iPad first came out. (Yeah, I wasn't sure what it had to do with anything either.)

"OMG! The Hackintosh is dead because you can't build an iPad!" Huh? Why would I want to build an iPad and what has that got to do with my desktop Hack anyway?

Now I guess it's going to be "The Hackintosh is dead because every single Mac user will instantly have a brand new top of the line MacBook with retina display and your dual monitor Hackintosh with full sized graphic card will be obsolete overnight!" Yes, of course, that's EXACTLY what will happen.

Why would it make sense that Apple could even if they wanted to drop support for 100% of the existing Mac user base to the point where it would affect me building a Hackintosh? It's awesome that Apple does things first a lot of times, but by the time it even remotely approaches enough people using retina display Macs to drop support for current applications using current resolutions, it'll be the industry standard and the Hackintosh will have moved on to match. Probably (following the usual pattern) with a much greater choice of hardware, for less money.

The new MacBook is awesome, but let's not get carried away It'll take years before even a fraction of Apple's user base has this kind of hardware and like I said, by then everyone else will likely have followed suit.

Also as for this "Apple could kill Hackintoshing anytime they wanted' stuff- the dirty little secret is that Apple can only do what they've been doing, placing restrictions on the OSX install media they sell to only officially work on their own hardware. Once that's been bypassed by OSx86 install methods, there's nothing else they can do. It's a myth that they could throw some magically kill switch and 'kill everybody's hack'. The truth is,'Apple hardware' isn't magical. It's really just the same stuff we're all using, with custom motherboards in a package designed by Apple. Any dreamed-of kill switch would kill most real Macs as well!

And even though they don't encourage Hackintoshing, Apple knows damne well they make a lot of money off of it, and definitely leverages the installed base as OSX users. They'd be insane not to, there's no upshot for them in not wanting to show they have as many users as they actually do. Of course they'd rather everyone buy iMacs and Minis, but the reality is, they also like selling the OS at $30 a pop (and any fool doing simple accounting of the bottom line could figure out they're selling copies beyond what lines up with the number of compatible Macs sold) and they're more than happy to sell software/peripherals/iPhones/iPads and eventually MacBooks etc. once people start to like OSX. Even if it was possible, Apple's not really interested in shutting down OSx86, or else they'd move selling OSX to a serial-only system tied to only the hardware they sell.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

@Alessandro: Being a Apple noob, I guess only the desktop is Apple proprietary? Hence even more stunned, thinking about the dozen Linux desktops, that there's no compatible replacement.

Honestly, a company that sues because of rounded corners has no more right to survive. :wallbash:

That's so insane, that I hope Samsung will be able to block overpriced Iphone 5. :blowup:

If apple secretly want's to offer freebies, then according to me they should have stuck to DVD install media for Lion though DVD drives are not available in current generation of Mac's. Since retail DVD media are not available for OSX Lion, those who are new to hackintosh resort to pirated distros or pirated USB install media as they do not wish to spend on snow leopard just for the sake of Lion update. I think this would be the same case with Mountain Lion in a month.

And official USB Lion install key of apple is not available outside US.

My friends just walk into the Apple Store with a 8GB flash drive. Log into the App Store. Download ML then run myHack to create the installer drive. Done.

Or you can use a friends Mac to create the installer drive. But the method above is the best. lol

• 2 months later...

Yeah - then once you're done - buy yourself a 32 Gb flash drive (or 3 in my case) - install snow leopard or lion or mountain lion legitimately each on the 3 flash drives (i have 1 for S/L,1 for Lion and now 1 for M/L including all of my other purchased mac software (and yes I do purcahse all of my mac software legally - being a qualified computer programmer myself I'd feel guilty if i didn't) - Then you have your own personal bootable backup image for restore anytime your computer does manage to crash because of an update issue. (takes just on 1 hour to restore or thereabouts) no mess no fuss :)

My friends just walk into the Apple Store with a 8GB flash drive. Log into the App Store. Download ML then run myHack to create the installer drive. Done.

Or you can use a friends Mac to create the installer drive. But the method above is the best. lol

Ha. The Apple employees don't blink an eye?

Ha. The Apple employees don't blink an eye?

Nope. You just say that your internet is slow at home and they let you do it right there to download the ML app. Then you say you want to restore the image to the flash drive (If the computer has a password) and they enter it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hackintoshs are there for 3 reasons:

- One wants to use Mac app for serious matter but can't afford the budget for MBP (providing no piracy here).

- Learning and experimental.

- Why not ?? it's nice to have.

I don't believe anything would affect these reasons except the 1st one if MBP went down in price than a decent laptop.

We know what we are doing and we know it's a hackintosh ... we won't sue Apple coz its OS doesn't give the same experience on our systems :)

Also, some very high end hackintosh builds (Xeon CPUs with GA-X motherboards and multiple GTX 680 GPUs and 64 GB ram ... etc) don't have equivalent true Macs and such market seems not in Apple's agenda. So, the only solution is custom builds.

I see hackintoshs will survive for a while. I would dare to imagine hackpads in near future, but it takes one CPU maker to dominate the market that would force Apple to use its model then you will see hackpads and hackdriods :)

• Like 2

It is extremely easy to create an install DVD from the Lion installer you buy from the App Store: http://lifehacker.co...-or-flash-drive

It definately is easy... I just had to read up how to on a couple of forums before I finally figured it out for myself, aside from doing a little experimenting with my hardware. I just had to reinstall my Lion Partition the other day after installing a bunk version of the 10.7.5 update so It's kind of engrained in me now :-). I like the hackintosh community and what it has to offer; I started using the iDeneeb distro and installed Tiger after hours on in, but ditched that method once I finally realized I could install a retail Snow Leopard with my hardware, and I never looked back. Those one-click distros will soon ruin the hackintosh scene because they present it as mainstream, which I don't like.

• Like 3

I am in doubt

why Apple takes no actions towards Hackintosh

I believe Apple can do something to prevent the Hackintosh

but they don't

does it imply that they want to expand the market share of OSX ?

It has long been my view that piracy is what breeds success in computing. Back when Apple and MS were starting out, Apple took the divergent course by going with a different processor achitecture. MS thrived because people could buy a generic Intel box and install the OS from their friends floppies. MS benefited greatly from piracy, as it basically spread their platform to more people and helped make it ubiquitous. Apple you couldn't pirate their software because there wasn't non-Apple hardware to install it on. When they tried the clone route it nearly killed them.

You'll notice that Apple's rise to prominence also coincided with their switch to Intel. They made their software compatible with a wider scope of hardware, which in turn helped them make gains in PC marketshare. Apple is content to let the hacker scene work away knowing that it just further entrenches their platform. Apple's got what they want, they built the ecosystem. Now developers release stuff for Mac all the time because it's a thriving market. As someone who was a Mac user in the 90s, it's like a night and day change.

Apple you couldn't pirate their software because there wasn't non-Apple hardware to install it on. When they tried the clone route it nearly killed them.

You'll notice that Apple's rise to prominence also coincided with their switch to Intel. They made their software compatible with a wider scope of hardware, which in turn helped them make gains in PC marketshare.

You have no idea what you are talking about... lol Apple makes very little money with Mac OS X. The majority of there growth is the iPod, iPhone, and more recent the iPad. This has nothing to do with the switch to Intel. Look up the revenues and you will see this has nothing to do with Intel. Getting people to by low cost Apple products entices people to by a Mac years later from there first purchase of a Apple product.

• Like 3

It has long been my view that piracy is what breeds success in computing. Back when Apple and MS were starting out, Apple took the divergent course by going with a different processor achitecture. MS thrived because people could buy a generic Intel box and install the OS from their friends floppies. MS benefited greatly from piracy, as it basically spread their platform to more people and helped make it ubiquitous. Apple you couldn't pirate their software because there wasn't non-Apple hardware to install it on. When they tried the clone route it nearly killed them.

You'll notice that Apple's rise to prominence also coincided with their switch to Intel. They made their software compatible with a wider scope of hardware, which in turn helped them make gains in PC marketshare. Apple is content to let the hacker scene work away knowing that it just further entrenches their platform. Apple's got what they want, they built the ecosystem. Now developers release stuff for Mac all the time because it's a thriving market. As someone who was a Mac user in the 90s, it's like a night and day change.

lol. Apple seems to have already taken certain measures ie blocking hackintosh logging in imessage.

Works for me. What measures?

What do you mean by that ?

If your current message is working fine, you won't find anything strange at all. Just like what I used to be.

But if you sign out your message making your message inactive, then you won't be able to sign in again.

I used to be able to sign in. I am sure I didn't screw my hack cuz I rarely made certain changes to it.

And it appears as long as you're one of the hackintoshs, it's sure to happen while real mac won't have this issue.

Lol , I just messed up my iMessage following the above step :wallbash: I will post again If I am able to fix it !

It would be nice if you figure out a way to solve this problem and share with us. It's not something personal.

IT JUST HAPPENS TO ANY HACKINTOSHES IN THE WORLD.

It would be nice if you figure out a way to solve this problem and share with us. It's not something personal.

IT JUST HAPPENS TO ANY HACKINTOSHES IN THE WORLD.

I never use that app but I logged out and tried to log in with no success. Serial number could be the issue. I even have the full Ethernet Built in patch with my own custom edits:

OperationRegion (GPIO, SystemIO, 0x0800, 0x06)
           Field (GPIO, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
           {
               GO01,   8, 
               GO02,   8, 
               GO03,   8, 
               GO04,   8, 
               GO05,   8, 
               GP45,   1, 
               GP9,    1
           }  
Device (LAN0)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00190000)
               OperationRegion (ARE0, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x04)
               Field (ARE0, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                   AVND,   16
               }
               Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (0x0F)
               }
               Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
               {
                   0x09, 
                   0x04
               })
               Method (EWOL, 1, NotSerialized)
               {
                   If (LEqual (Arg0, One))
                   {
                       Or (GP9, One, GP9)
                   }
                   Else
                   {
                       And (GP9, Zero, GP9)
                   }
                   If (LEqual (Arg0, GP9))
                   {
                       Return (Zero)
                   }
                   Else
                   {
                       Return (One)
                   }
               }
               Method (_RMV, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Zero)
               }
               Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized)
               {
                   If (Arg0)
                   {
                       Store (One, GP45)
                   }
                   Else
                   {
                       Store (Zero, GP45)
                   }
               }
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0C)
                       {
                           "AAPL,slot-name", 
                           Buffer (0x09)
                           {
                               "Internal"
                           }, 
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                                0x4B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 
                           "built-in", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                                0x01
                           }, 
                           "device_type", 
                           Buffer (0x14)
                           {
                               "Ethernet Controller"
                           }, 
                           "model", 
                           Buffer (0x1E)
                           {
                               "Intel(R) 82579V PCI-E Gigabit"
                           }, 
                           "name", 
                           Buffer (0x14)
                           {
                               "Ethernet Controller"
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }