Can't connect to networked computers in Lion. Please HELP.

Connects to internet ok.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Dradis

Dradis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have recently installed 10.7.3 on my machine. This is a clean install using a DSDT from tonymac's DSDT data base.

All of my hardware is working, including my ethernet card and wifi. I can connect to the internet, but I cannot see other macs on the network. I also tried to add my iPhone as an iTunes remote and it does not show up in the left side panel.

I am currently connected by wifi and cannot connect by ethernet because of the physical location. My wifi card is an atheros pci-e and I am using the stock IO80211Family.kext with an added device ID. I am using the Lynx2macs driver for my built in realtec 8111E gigabit on the Asus P8P67-m Pro.

I had previously installed 10.7.3 using the ######## DSDT free method. Both ways I sometimes see my MPB but usually don't. Even when i do see it, it is unable to connect and often disappears soon after.

Im assuming its a problem with my wifi driver or card since that seems to be the common denominator. Here's a screenshot of my wifi info if it helps.

Attached Files

Edited by Alessandro17, 11 June 2012 - 02:30 PM.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=275942

everdone

everdone

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Look at your boot.plist in Extra folder. You must have EthernetBuiltIn=Yes included as a Key or as a boot flag for sharing or connection to AppsStore to function.

Dradis

Dradis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks for the info, everdone. I checked the boot.plist, but EthernetBuiltIn=Yes is already there. I have no problems connecting to AppStore, iCloud, or anything on the internet. Its only local networking that isn't working.

everdone

everdone

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Is Sharing turned on?

Dradis

Dradis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes, sharing is turned on. I am very familiar with how to set up network sharing between macs, and I have no problems with the other macs/hacks in the house. Just this one. The other macs randomly show up in my network (as seen on this machine), but then disappear when i try to connect. Also, iTunes on this mac does not see my iPhone as a potential remote. I don't believe these symptoms could be caused by a setting simply being turned off. It seems more like a problem with this wifi card since it only happens on this machine. If I can find a long enough ethernet cable i will try a wired connection to see if it works any better, but for the moment I don't have one.

everdone

everdone

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
I agree, wifi in the hack world can be iffy. If you haven't yet done so, try setting the IP manually for the wifi connection. I have some wifi adapters that will not connect via DHCP when using a protected wireless router connection.

I only mentioned Sharing being on because I have found myself forgetting to turn it on and wondering why other elements on my network won't show up!

Dradis

Dradis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Still the same symptoms with manual IP. I am able to connect to the wifi and internet just fine. Its only local networking that has any problems. Right now when i go to network 0 computers are listed. I have one other hack and one real mac in the house. Both show up sporadically throughout the day. Usually not at the same time. iTunes just saw my iPhone as a remote long enough to enter the passcode, but now its gone again. This is really bizarre. I have no problems at all with internet, iCloud, etc.

Dradis

Dradis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Well, now the other two are having the same issue, so its beginning to look more like a network/router issue. I think i'll put this problem on hold for now...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy