Problem with ga-ex58-ud5 (very low results from geekbench, + other problems)

The K man

45 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I have a problem with my system.. first of all i have the following specifications :

Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD5

Video : XFX 512mb

Intel i7-920

10GB memory ram corsair 1600Mhz

Western Digital 1Tb @ 7200 rpm

OSX 10.7.2

First of all i have some problem with the software logic it seems that i run out of CPU.. but from my computer specifications thus should not be happen.. so I tried to geekbench my computer and the highest result i got is 4386... usuallly i got around 3500 here is the link : http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/721498

I know people with the same specifications as mine NOT overclocked and with 6gb ram can get geekbench score around 10000.

P.S I followed digitals dreamers GUIDE which can be found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

Anybody knows how to get out the maximum from my computers performance without overclocking.. or anyone got any suggestions.. I will be very appreciated

Thank you in advance..

• Like 1

Have a look in the DSDT section of the forum, d00d has written a complete guide to get the EX58-UD5 working 100%, the only issue I have is the lack of 'Wake for ethernet access' under energy saver which means I cant use 'Wake on demand' but lnx2mac is working on the RTL81xx kext which will hopefully solve this. (currently gives a self assigned IP so not much good)

Using Lnx2Macs' RTL81xx I have Wake for ethernet, I just had to remove a few conflicting kexts.

FYI my geekbench at 3.4GHz is around 13000

10gb of ram is odd amount to have on triple channel board, how do you have this? Also when cpu is maxed, what processes in activity monitor are using it all? Can't get very good bench scored if your cpu utilization is more than a few % before starting. Your Geekbench report also shows your ram is running at 1079mhz and not 1600mhz, I'd be willing to bet it's not running at the correct voltage either. Use XMP settings for ram in your bios and verify correct voltage, still trying to figure out how you have 10240mb of ram though. Aside from that, update to newest chameleon and make sure you don't have busratio=xx in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Based on the mac model # and apple bios # showing, looks like you do not have a proper smbios loading and chameleon is assigning some default values for macpro3,1, which I believe are not correct, I'd be willing to bet system profiler will show bios date of 2008. Get a properly configured smbios for macpro 4,1 or 5,1(socket 1366) instead of a broken macpro 3,1(socket 775)

edit: Geekbench should not say "hackintosh" for your mac model, it knows your smbios is wrong too :)

right now you must have your BCLK at 135, multipiler on auto(20) and ram multi at 8. True default BCLK is 133 so technically your overclocked atm :) If XMP settings will not work properly for your ram, just change the ram multi to 10 so it will at 1580mhz, up BCLK to 137 if you want 1600mhz, uncore should be 2x your ram so 3200mhz if ram were running at 1600mhz. DRAM voltage should be 1.5 or 1.65 depending on your ram's specs. You must be running at least one lopsided ram bank to get 10gb, had 12gb and one stick went bad? This could also effect XMP setting it properly.

Ok i followed digital's dreamer post again and did everything from the beginning, also i had followed everything that d00d said to his DSDT thread, but i think digital dreamer included all that to his script..

Now i got the following Geekbench score... 3737 .. here is the link http://browser.prima...ekbench2/725812

seems that is recognized as MacPro5,1 now since the change from smbios due to digital dreamer's script.

But still I am getting very low geekbench scores.. i can't figure what's going wrong.. I DON'T run any application during geekbench testing..

It's almost two weeks now that I am struggling with Lion.. I am formatting the hard drive and doing everything back from the beginning every single day.. I am thinking to downgrade back to 10.5.7 ( I've never upgraded to Snow Lepoard).

P.S I have upgraded and downgraded Bios F7 , F12 and F13 but still no luck.. I have F12 now, since F13 was not so stable with Lion

10gb of ram is odd amount to have on triple channel board, how do you have this?

I have the following corsair ram :

TR3X6G1600C9 DDR3-1600 (XMS3-9-9-9-24*1.65v) Triple Channel 6GB Kit (3 x 2GB)

and

CMX4GX3M1A1600C9 DDR3-1600 (XMS3-9-9-9-24*1.65v) Single Stick 4GB Single stick

Edited by The K man

Ok, just scratching the surface here, no need to panic:) i figured you weren't running other apps during bech test, but thought u may have other system processes going haywire as you mentioned running out of cpu. I wouldn't go back to leopard, but were you running it on the exact same hardware config and getting great performance, with only change to lion now making it slow? Memory speed is still clocked way too low in bios. Try removing the 4th stick, it is possible to run tripple channel mode still with 4th stick of memory, but requires certain slots be used and Will not always work in tripple channel if 4th stick is same capacity alone with latency and speed, just for testing at least and benchmarks dont give better scores for quantity, only speed. Also check that appleintelpowermanagement.kext is loaded and applelpc.kext is loaded. If you want to upload text output from ioreg it would be very helpful, kextstat too.in germinal type: ioreg > registry.txt. And kextstat > kextlist.txt. If you have hwmonitor installed along with fakesmc plugins you can see cpu freq, multiplier and voltage in real time to see if speed step is working properly

Do you have NullCPUPowerManagement loaded?

run kextstat in terminal or look in system information>software>extensions.

Personally I would not use an automated script as you have no idea of what is going on.

i started off using DDs script and quickly realised it was doing me no favours at all, so I learned to do things manually!

(As you can see from my sig I have the exact same motherboard, processor and at least similar ram as you)

For a start, DDs script installs kexts to E/E but when using Lion all kexts must be in S/L/E for the kernel cache to load them. This causes an extremely long boot process as every kext is checked and loaded on every boot rather than the kernel cache being used.

DDs script uses an outdated boot loader, 2,1 RC5 is quite old now, you'd be better installing the latest version by either compiling the source yourself and installing manually, using an installer, or even easier, by using chameleon wizard.

If you like I can upload all the kexts you will need, a patched dsdt, smbios.plist and org.chameleon.boot.plist, but doing it this way you won't learn much.

Also that 4gb ram stick may be interfering with triple channel mode.

It is advisable to never mix batches of RAM. Even the same make and model may not work together if the date of manufacture is too far apart.

My advise would be to do a fresh install with only 4Gb of RAM in the system and then run through d00ds dsdt post, you don't need to do everything as chameleon will take care of things like power management etc but do 1, 2, 3, 4, 8b, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14E, 17, 18C option 2, 19A, 20, 21 and you may have to do a variation of 22 to get full support from your graphics card.

Make sure you've updated your BIOS before you extract your dsdt, F13W is the latest.

• Like 1

As I suspected, you had NullCPUPowerManagement loaded. This will indeed ruin your GeekBench scores!

I'm not going to help you with your current install as who knows what's happened to it! Let's start a fresh.

Ok, update your BIOS, do a fresh install on another HDD, run the 10.7.4 combo update and target the new install and then install the contents of the linked file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bebxygv2vvcw6nv/Lion%2010.7.4%20-%20EX58-UD5%20-%20The%20K%20man.zip

You should probably install the latest version of chameleon by using chameleon wizard and targeting your new installation, rather than using the version included in the zip, I thought I'd include that just incase you end up with no internet or something.

Rebuild caches and repair permissions on the target disk using the following:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/"New Install"/System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/"New Install"/System/Library/Extensions/
sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/"New Install"/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /Volumes/"New Install"/System/Library/Extensions/

Change New Install to the name of your target drive, leave the speech marks though, these take care of the spaces for you, run diskutil list if you're unsure of the mount point name.

I can't stress the speech marks point enough so will explain it

cp /Macintosh HD/ would copy the directory /Macintosh to the directory HD/ because of the space in the name, the correct convention would be:

cp /Macintosh\ HD/ or

cp /"Macintosh HD"/

Pull out the HDD with your current install and see how the new one boots.

Always boot with -v until you are stable

Just so you know, this should have everything working on an EX58-UD5 rev1.0, even auto-sleep! Overclocking makes no odds, everything will still work so do your worst!

The only things I've omitted are my customised graphics kexts as we have different cards and you never know, yours may have native support.

Let me know how it goes.

• Like 1

You can also remove/not install this time, voodooHDA, you have HDAenabler running with patched appleHDA already. Same for ElliotforcelegacyRTC.kext, instead copy appleRTC.kext to your extra folder and run this script to patch it:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /Extra/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

Then install it back to S/L/E using kext wizard and repair permissions/rebuild cache. As James said, if you have patched DSDT you should not have nullCPUpowermanagement, remove to enable speedstep and native power management. What's up with your Mountain Lion disk? Ever get it booted or was it a failed attempt?

i just did a 10.7.3 on x58a and i choose GeneratePStates , GenerateCStates , generate from i/o and works fine without any dsdt _CPU patching.

But I'm guessing unlike OP you don't have NullCPUpowermanagement.kext installed either :) I don't think he needs any changes to DSDT beyond what he prob already has, just picked too much stuff from kext list on the install script used, also some bios settings that need to be changed. The typical downside to any the install utilities, user installing everything there without knowing what each does, then when problems, too many possibilities to easily troubleshoot. As for using Chameleon to generate C-states/P-states vs full native PM, I too have never seen a difference in performance, just a little lower power consumption with native which won't make it faster :) Any benches on x58 to maybe compare? I'll go do one at stock and one OC'd maybe to help get baseline #'s, I need to try out a compare of Lion to ML anyway

Thank you for the help eep357 and JamesLittler but unfortunately i am still having very low geekbench scores... here is my new kexstat...

Is there a chance to be a hardware problem.. ? I did give it a try with only 6GB ram just removing the extra 4GB ram single slot..

absolutely could be a hardware problem. Do you have any other bootable OS that you could use to compare? Either ML or Leopard or Windows could run Geekbench. Also try other benchmarks such as Cinebench or Novabench. Cinebench is multiplatform, not sure about Novabench

I forgot to upload the new kexstat before so here it is..

Also i have noticed that in my geekbench scores :

Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4

when i compare it to other ga-ex58-ud5 with i7-920 they have the following :

Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5

kextstatNEW.rtf

Stepping 4 may mean you have a 920 C0 stepping, rather than the D0 stepping. The D0s are more overclockable but I believe that's the only real difference.

Could you confirm that you are only using kexts and dsdt from the zip I uploaded for you?

I can't debug your problem if you don't answer my questions.

Yup, my i7 is C0/C1---stepping 4. basically just means more voltage is needed to overclock, especially to or past 4ghz, and that need grows exponentially from about 3.8 and up

Stepping 4 may mean you have a 920 C0 stepping, rather than the D0 stepping. The D0s are more overclockable but I believe that's the only real difference.

Could you confirm that you are only using kexts and dsdt from the zip I uploaded for you?

I can't debug your problem if you don't answer my questions.

Yes i can confirm that I am using only the kexts and dsdt you uploaded for me.. I am using that on a new partition.. ( I am using Bios version F12 since F13 is not stable and stack after 4-5 minutes)