I have a 10.6.4. disc laying around, and I want to Hackintosh. What should I do?

13 posts in this topic

Hi.

I recently bought a 10.6.4 10.6.3 (my bad) disc for Snow Leopard in a chance to Hackintosh my netbook, but the one tutorial I tried did not work (NetbookCD). Is there any other tutorial that could make up so the disc won't end up being a waste of money?

I have an HP Mini 210-2000 netbook with Windows 7 Starter on it currently. I'll give more information if requested.

If you bought a 10.6.4 disc, double check your source as last release apple did on a disc was 10.6.3. If it's a grey restore CD that came with a purchased mac it will not work.

Such blasphemous words! And I didn't know that. Worth the trouble if not stranded somewhere without internet but still have PC's that must run the osx?

@ SuperRainbowCats Just install a bootloader like Chameleon to a flash drive and boot the os x disk it's what I normally do for fresh installs and hasn't really failed me.

@ STVLNUB Will it work? Probably. Now will it work like a full os x experience including graphics, sound, etc? That's where the actual work comes in.

@eep357 So agree man.

• Like 1

If you bought a 10.6.4 disc, double check your source as last release apple did on a disc was 10.6.3. If it's a grey restore CD that came with a purchased mac it will not work.

My apologies. It was a 10.6.3 disc. Bought it from the Apple Store.

@ SuperRainbowCats Just install a bootloader like Chameleon to a flash drive and boot the os x disk it's what I normally do for fresh installs and hasn't really failed me.

That's what I was thinking, but does that work for all computers?

Netbooks can be a bit different and may be the one time I recommend using one of the helper tools out there so you can get the right kernel, don't think the default mach kernel will get you too far on your cpu. Do a search for osx netbook installer and you should find a few along with tutorials specific to your hardware

The only major ones I see online are for the 110 model with a 10.6.7 disc, and there are a ton of drawbacks (no control over brightness, sound, power use, etc).

However, when using 10.6.3, there seems to be less (mouse buttons not working in the installation, glitches out when put into sleep mode), so I'm going to take a shot with the 110 tutorial, because a few people on these forums have reported it working on their 210's.

I'll get back to you if I encounter more problems.

Regarding grey discs, my 10.3.x, 10.4.x (PPC & Intel), and 10.6.x discs were all grey discs...and all worked like retail once patched. The 10.6.x disc worked on both Mac and hack like retail, the others I only used on real Macs. All I can say is they function the same as retail, but with other OEM add-ons (such as AppleWorks & Nanosaur on the 10.4 PPC disc and a bajilion extra printer drivers on the 10.6 disc).

I personally recommend using the OSx86 ModCD (nawcom ModCD) with the retail DVD. There's more on that in the guide in my signature. :) As an alternative the ModUSB works well for people too...but that one requires Linux or OS X.

@GV Couldn't that be solved by just using the GPT format?

How do you mean? He cloned an installation DVD, which is to the best of my knowledge neither MBR or GPT.

Even when cloning whole hard drives with Carbon Copy Cloner you still have to manually install Chameleon to the target drive afterwards, the boot sector does not get cloned, GPT or MBR, it makes no difference.