10.6.8 legacy kernel builds: ANV vs NAWCOM

6 posts in this topic

hi. first of all: very very much thanks to all the people that made this project possible, to nawcom anv nawcom and all

im running osx 10.6.8 over amd+nvidia system. i have noticed that there are (at least) 2 kernel releases for this kind (legacy) of hardware.

i found a nawcom build and a anv build. both works in my system, actually im testing both to find what works better.

i opened this thread to collect peoples opinion, if you notice that one runs better than other, speed, stability, whatever...

during months i ran a nawcom build ((12,986,308 bytes)). i noticed graphic glitches, and during the first 20 minutes, random freezes that dissapear after 10 minutes (why?!)

now im testing anv build ((15,171,089 bytes)).. avn kernel also does that strange freezes during the first 20 minutes for about a minute. but less than nawcom kernel.

update:

my first impression is that avn kernel is more stable after hours and hours of computing.

i will be doing more test during this weeks, specially running BOINC computing projects.

• 1 month later...

every system is different.

for example in mine, i _must_ run a specific version of chameleon boot loader: C2R5-747 (release candidate 5 build 747)

older versions does not run. newer versions runs system unstable.

I Played with ANV's Kernel for about 10 minutes and braid refused to work, while it would work with nawcoms. As well as it did seem slower. It could be my imagination but like you said, every system is different.

AMD Athlon II x4 620

Radeon HD 6770 Flashed to 5770

ASUS M4A78T-E Motherboard

790GX chipset

well. i have realised that when switching between kernel builds, system permissions and all those things needs to be correctly fixed to do a correct boot.

i had to repair disk permissions with:

start with -x flag

repair permissions with diskutily and then with pfix

reboot

run again pfix

reboot again

(iaargh!)

hard to get it but now runs fast

i use pfix 3.1 to repair kexts (you can fint that script easily in http://myhack.sojuga...-v3-1-released/ )

a way to check if kexts works well is checking graphics capabilities: if you cannot switch to inverse screen (in system preferences, in Universal Access) there is something wrong. (this means that there is no full graphical acceleration)

after some time running avn build, i realised that its very stable. solid as rock. but i have patch_text_segment failures

nawcom is faster but unstable. so i cannot use it

i would like to know why one is faster than other. i have the sense that my systen can run a bit faster with a good kernel build.

EDIT:::::::::::::::

after starting anv build with doublefsb=Yes i noticed the exact same behavior that with nawcom build. maybe those nawcom panics are caused from an incorrect fsb setting.

im finally using AVN build because is stable.

also i finally have the conclusion that optimal performance is when manually setting FSB and BUSRATIO.

they must coincide with bios settings. if they dont coincide, and automatic setting is performed but it is not perfect, its an approach and cause lost TSC sync.

bad tsc sync this causes vlc player and flash browser videos will be troublematic and other strange things

with this i dont need to use VoodooTSCSync because TSC is now really in sincronization.

im running osx-10.6.8 over amd kuma 7850be overclocked to 3.2 ghz (200x16 at 1.52volts)

(3712 points in geekbench 32bits)

bios settings to parse to kernel with my overclock settings are fsb=200000000 busratio=16

all those zeros are because bus runs at 200.000000mhz (with six decimals) and multiplier set to 16. the same as in bios

if none is specified, autodetection set busratio correctly but fsb is detected to something around 200 mhz (around 200.597900) and makes tsc sync to cpu freq 3209.5664mhz that is not correct.

i hope that this conclusions help somebody configuring osx-10.6.8 over cheap amd cpus