boot0: error on previously working dell mini 10v SL/Ubuntu dual

13 posts in this topic

Hi all

I woke up today to a boot0: error on start up in my Dell Mini 10v dual Snow Leopard/Ubuntu

I have no idea what would have caused this as I did nothing at all, really, in the last few times I used it, no updates etc...

I actually wrote up this guide for my last install, which will give you the full config for my system:

http://www.insanelym...3

I can use my OSX install USB disk to boot and then choose the Ubuntu volume which is working fine. But my OSX hard disk won't mount in Ubuntu.

I can also use that OSX install disk to start the installation and open terminal

I tried the standard fix suggestions

(e.g. http://blog.johnso.o...oot0-error.html )

But I can't get that to work. I may be doing it wrong.

If anyone has any suggestions, or specific instructions on booting into terminal and then fixing the boot order, etc, for my configuration, I'd be very grateful!

many thanks

bug

OK, I found the boot1h file

But where exactly do I put it?

Should I be doing this in Linux or after booting into the SL install disk and then opening terminal?

I followed the instructions and copied the boot1h file to /dev/disk0s2

(which is my HFS Os X partition)

it seemed to copy successfully.

I restarted-- same boot0 error :(

I tried it again just to be sure, and, yes, I got an output just like you described.

still getting boot0: error

By the way, I have been looking at my hfs volume with diskutil and in Ubuntu with gparted. It is really messed up! I can't mount the partition, i can't repair the partition (either in OsX disk utilities or with hfsprogs in Ubuntu).

I have found several references to running pdisk to try to let the computer know how big the partition is and so on...

e.g. http://www.nathanhein.com/tag/partition/

...which might allow the partition to mount, but I can't figure out how to load and run pdisk on Ubuntu. When I try it in OsX terminal, it won't work (presumably because i am booting into the Os X install disk, and I can't set superuser permissions that way, sudo doesn't work etc.)

So I am at a complete and utter loss.

have you reset your chameleon partition as the active partition using fdisk already? You can do it using terminal from OSX installer.

I did earlier (i.e. yesterday), but I had read at the time that the osX partition (i.e. HFS, my partition #2) should be the active one.

In any case, I just tried setting chameleon (EFI, partition #1) as active using fdisk.

Didn't work; still showing boot0: error

you are correct that it should be your osx partition, as I doubt you did a efi install as they are rare these days and based on above comments, you installed it to disk0s2 so that is the partition that should be active. Or just use cd bootloader to get back into system and reinstall with chameleon wizard to osx partition and choose option that includes "will active selected partition" and that will do all the stuff discussed in this thread in a click

• 1 month later...