Can't open iPhoto.app and Mail.app

johnlocke2342

12 posts in this topic

Hi there.

I'm using my hackintosh as a test machine. I wanted to try out Mountain Lion, so I upgraded my working Lion install to Mountain Lion. Strange thing is it is far more unstable from this install than on an install I did from my real MacBook Pro onto an external hard drive. So I downgraded from Mountain Lion to Lion. Everything works perfectly fine except sound (since the 10.7.4 update) and 2 apps (iPhoto '11 and Mail) won't open at all with a message saying it can't be launched because of a problem (I don't have the exact English quote as I'm using OS X in my native language).

If anyone can help, I really need iPhoto.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I have three questions:

1. How did you downgrade from Mountain Lion to Lion? What process did you use?

2. What are the messages when you try to launch iPhoto and Mail? Even if you have to run them through Google Translate, that is more of a clue than anything.

3. What did you do prior to the 10.7.4 update to have your sound working?

Thanks for answering.

1. I formatted my HDD, installed Lion and used thé migration assistant to restore my data from a time machine backup.

2. Translated by myself, it would be "iPhoto can't be opened because of a problem. Please contact the developer."

3. I installed AppleHDA Rollback and ALC8xxHDA with ######, but it doesn't work anymore.

2. Translated by myself, it would be "iPhoto can't be opened because of a problem. Please contact the developer."

IPhoto installs files in the /Library directory. If you don't restore all of those files, it will not work. Your only choice is to reinstall iPhoto from scratch.

IPhoto installs files in the /Library directory. If you don't restore all of those files, it will not work. Your only choice is to reinstall iPhoto from scratch.

You mean, in example, getting an iLife '11 install CD? Because I have the Mac App Store version and I uninstalled completely then reinstalled iPhoto from the MAS multiple times, with no effect. I even tried reinstalling the OS X 10.7.4 update, with no effect.

It is possible that Mountain Lion modified your iPhoto preference file and when you migrated back, you brought those changes with you. (Same with Mail)

Try going to /Users/(you)/Library/Preferences. Find the file named com.apple.iPhoto.plist and rename it. I just put an "x" at the beginning like "xcom.apple.iPhoto.plist". Then try to start iPhoto. If nothing happens or you don't like what happens, or whatever, just delete the new com.apple.iPhoto.plist and then rename the old one by removing the "x".

In Lion, the Library folder is hidden. To unhide it, go to Terminal and type:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

To add on to what rlf said it's most likely ML that updated those apps. It's like being on snow leo and trying to open the native apps on Lion the system won't allow you to which is why they say don't upgrade to the DP versions of a beta OS on your working system. You might have to grab pacifist and use it on the 10.7.4 package and manually install the Mail back on there. As for the iPhoto that should be much more simple as all you would have to do is delete and reinstall it from the iLife dmg just pray that ML didn't upgrade your iPhoto database where it can't be opened by older versions.

Rule of thumb, always create a separate install when wanting to try out Developer Previews as they aren't meant to be actual releases which is why they weren't made "downgrade-able."

Thanks for the answers, but I already looked into the preference file, deleted everything related to iPhoto (except for the iPhoto library itself). @TH3L4UGH1NGM4N: My Hackintosh is a testing machine and everything important (iTunes, iPhoto) is synced with my MBP. And I don't have a dog of iLife '11, because I have the MAS version.

@rlf: There's something easier to unhide the library. Click on the Finder's "Go", keep alt pressed and voilà, the library appears.

So I'm assuming deleting those files fixed the iPhoto issue? For a second I read dog of iLife 11 and was like o.o but then I figured you meant to type dmg. Holy cow Batman, the alt key really does show the library icon! :ihw_wow:

So I'm assuming deleting those files fixed the iPhoto issue?

No, it didn't fix the issue at all. I re-upgraded to ML, iPhoto works but not mail (and I think I found a way to kill the KPs I experienced). Maybe a fresh install of either Lion or ML will fix the issue?

For a second I read dog of iLife 11 and was like o.o but then I figured you meant to type dmg.

Lol yeah. Stupid autocorrect.