New 24" iMac: No Windows Installation Possible!

Tip

43 posts in this topic

I have the latest firmware.....i think.

Bootcamp does not prompt me ot update it.

Whats the latest firmware?

I don't see anything new on the website. Under "System Profiler > Hardware > Boot Rom Version & SMC Version" what do you have listed?

...and have you run a System Update lately?

Boot Rom: IM61.0093.B00

SMC: 1.10f2

10.4.8 <--installed yesterday when i got the machine

No further updates available via system update.

Yep, and nothing more current on the website.

From the Apple discussion forums:

When I first installed bootcamp on my old 20inch imac. Everything went smoothly, Nemas problemas. But when I tryed to install windows on my new 24inch modell with the same cd ( sold my old "g1 intel mac" without windows installed on it ) This happend:

"Computer displayed windows root\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt, please re-install." ( and i used bootcamp ver. 1.1.1 )

Have someone had the same problem? How do i solve this problem? I tried to update my firmware but when i tried the installer said that it wasn't necessary.

my firmware info:

Boot ROM-version: IM61.0093.B00

SMC-version: 1.10f2

I want to know what the difference is with the 24" machines that do work.

Anyone with a functional install of XP on a 24" iMac want to share their Boot-ROM and SMC firmware versions?

i see the boot menu. askin gme where i want to go. (This is displayed on the iMac's screen). As soon as i select windows, the imac screen goes dark (not off), and the samsung kicks in.

PS

Its gettign late and i have work in the morning.

Thanks for the help. will be online tomorrow.

i see the boot menu. askin gme where i want to go. (This is displayed on the iMac's screen). As soon as i select windows, the imac screen goes dark (not off), and the samsung kicks in.

Both the 7300 and the 7600 have the issue, so I doubt it's the vid card. Has to be firmware choking on a different part somewhere. I think we're out of luck until the Boot Camp guys release a new rev.

G'night man. Good luck.

one of u shud try vista rc1 in boot camp since it has efi drivers, if it works it might be a efi emulation of a bios issue in xp.

Just tried it.

Same thing just goes to black screen. Aparently if oyu put a monitor in the back you can get it to work but, I think apple will bring out an update for bootcam + a firmware upgrade in the next few weeks. if not deffnerttly by the time that Vista is out but 2/4 months is a big wait.

I inserted a VISTA RC1 disk, and booted it using rEFIt. I said "loading windows files" and brought be to the install setup. The fake aero effects were there and everything. I did not install because it would not let me format my diskutil partitioned drive. (24" iMac)

• 3 weeks later...
Its the same problem as a Mac Pro or a Mac Mini connexted to an 23" dsiplay: During booting process of the Windows XP CD you here the CD working b ut you can't see anything.

The Mac Pro and Mac mini can connectedt a scmaller disply just for installation and aftwerwards all seems okay.

But a 24" ist a pure Mac :pirate2:

No chance for a boot camp for Windows on it.

Isn't it a shame for Apple? They konw it more than just some days now but tell nothing to potential customers!

Tip, where did you find out about the Mac Pro connected to a 23" display showing a black screen when trying to install Windows?

That's the exactly the problem I'm having and I'd like to find more info about it!

Thanks.