Intel HD 2000 Partially Working (No QE/CI)

TechGeek786

5 posts in this topic

hd2000.jpg?w=300

If you have a Hackintosh running Mac OS X Lion, it’s pretty easy to enable the HD 3000 graphics built into Intel processors. However, Mac OS X Lion doesn’t natively support Intel’s HD 2000 graphics, so Hackintoshes with HD 2000 have been out of luck– until now. Thanks to recent developments, it is now possible to enable HD 2000 graphics on Hackintoshes running Mac OS X Lion, by replacing several default graphics kexts with modified versions and installing a modified version of Chameleon bootloader. To make things clear, this is not full support. Mac OS X does not work with HD 2000 graphics natively, so the best you can do is trick OS X into thinking that it does. This allows HD 2000 to display Mac OS X at full resolution, but graphics acceleration still doesn’t work. Without graphics acceleration, you can’t run any games, or apps that require serious graphics power (like video editors).

Find out if your processor is supported

intellogo.png?w=200&h=131

If you want to find out whether your Intel processor uses HD 2000 or 3000, you can Google the model of your processor. For example, if you search “Core i5-2500″ on Google, the first result is Intel’s official page for the Intel Core i5-2500. According to the “Graphics Specifications” section of that page, the Intel Core i5-2500 uses “Intel® HD Graphics 2000″.

If you have “Intel® HD Graphics 3000″, check out the guide for HD 3000 instead. If your processor only has “Intel® HD Graphics”, it isn’t supported by Mac OS X.

Additionally, your computer’s motherboard has to support integrated graphics. There are 4 types of motherboards for Intel’s 2nd-generation processors: H61, H67, P67, and Z68. P67 motherboards are the only type that don’t support integrated graphics; the other three types of motherboards will work.

1. Adjust your BIOS For starters, you need to change a graphics setting in your computer’s BIOS (which is essentially the settings page for your motherboard). Boot your computer, and enter the BIOS. To enter the BIOS on a Gigabyte motherboard, you have to press the delete key when it boots (before the operating system starts). Different manufacturers set different keys for opening the BIOS.

initialscreen1.jpg?w=640&h=364

If you have a Gigabyte motherboard, there will be a setting called “On-Chip Frame Buffer Size”, located in the “Advanced BIOS Features” page. This sets how much video RAM your processor’s HD 2000 graphics will use. Motherboards from different brands might call this setting something else.

If your Hackintosh has 4 GB of RAM, set video RAM to 384MB. If your Hackintosh has 8 GB of RAM, set video RAM to 480MB.

hd3000settings.jpg?w=300

Once you’ve set up the BIOS, proceed to the next step.

2. Update to Mac OS X Lion If your Hackintosh is still running Mac OS X Snow Leopard, update to Mac OS X Lion. Check out the following guides to installing Mac OS X Lion if you need help:

- How to update to Mac OS X LionHow to update to Mac OS X Lion with KakewalkHow to install Mac OS X Lion without installing Snow Leopard

installing.png?w=640&h=484

3. Install Chameleon Bootloader Chameleon Bootloader is the most popular bootloader for Hackintoshes. For those of you who don’t know, the bootloader is the program that boots Mac OS X. Chameleon is an open-source project, meaning that there are a lot of different versions of it (including Chimera, which is ########″s version of Chameleon). For this guide, you need to download a version of Chameleon that has been modified to inject the device ID of your HD 2000 graphics into Mac OS X Lion’s graphics drivers.

DOWNLOAD: Chameleon Bootloader

regioncapture1.png?w=300

4. Replace the kexts Once you’ve downloaded the ZIP file from the link below, open the ZIP file. Inside the newly-appeared folder, you will see a variety of .kext, .plugin, and .bundle files. These are modified versions of the standard Mac OS X Lion graphics drivers.

DOWNLOAD: Intel HD2000 replacement

regioncapture3.png?w=640&h=374

Go to /System/Library/Extensions in your Hackintosh’s hard drive, and delete all of the files that have the same name as the files from your downloaded folder. If you don’t want to delete them, you can also just move them to somewhere else on your hard drive (as a backup).

Then, copy the files from your downloaded folder into /System/Library/Extensions .

5. Fix file permissions/install a system definition If you don’t already have it on your Hackintosh. You have to register on tonymacx86.com to download it.

Open ######, and install “System Utilities” and “Mac mini” system definition. “System Utilities” fixes the permissions of the new files that you added in the previous step. A system definition pretends that your Hackintosh is a real Mac. When Mac OS X Lion sees that your Hackintosh is a “Mac mini”, it enables the built-in HD 3000 drivers (which you have modified to work with HD 2000). You can also use the “Macbook Pro 8,1″ system definition, though “Mac mini” is generally recommended.

Ending Notes Remember, HD 2000 support on Hackintoshes is purely experimental! As mentioned earlier, though this method should enable full resolution on Mac OS X, there is no graphics acceleration (better known as QE/CI). When possible, you should still try to avoid using HD 2000 graphics at all.

Great news!

Now for my experience. I have an i5-2300.

I can't change my video RAM to anything greater than 128 MB

The first installation of the Chameleon and AppleIntel* kexts went well. I had resolution control! But my ethernet didn't work. I found that my org.chameleon.Boot.plist didn't have the EthernetBuiltIn flag any longer. Looks like Chameleon somehow lost it. Update: My ethernet kext is AppleIntelE1000e.kext, so when I moved all of the AppleIntel* kexts, I also moved my ethernet kext. A reinstall of the kext brought back my ethernet. This has nothing to do with this fix other than to watch out when you move the AppleIntel* kexts, you might also move one that you don't want to move.

No problem, I added the EthernetBuiltIn to the Boot.plist and rebooted. The screen came out all garbled. A reboot didn't help.

So, I had to back out of the change.

Hi rlf

You are supposed to set the video ram accoridingly to the amount of RAM you have got, so if you have got 4GB you have to select 384 MB Video Ram.

I do not know about your ethernet problem beacause on my system i5 - 2400 (4GB RAM) it worked fine and no other ethernet problems.

I am sorry for the inconvienience Caused.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Finally I got it working in resolution 1600x1200 on Lenovo MTM5049-PN2 desktop computer with Intel Corei5 cpu with internal Intel HD graphics 2000, id 0x01028086.

- I have use iAtkos L2 distro

- installed chameleon

- after instalation boot with F8 and parameters -x -s to sigle mode, delete /S/L/E/AppleIntel*.kext, because computer will hang with drivers in iAtkos distro

download modified drivers here:

http://www.ulozto.cz/x8oh5z8/intelhdgraphics2000-lenovomtm5049-pn2-zip

download lan driver for internal intel adapter from here:

http://www.ulozto.cz/xX5dhk2/appleintele1000e-kext-zip

- copy to /S/L/Extensions, and run needed chmod and chown commands on these kexts

- reboot

- open Applications - Tools - Champlist - Configurations and set:

General - Use kernel cache, Ethernet built in

Graphics - Graphics Enabler

Others - Hide boot , Restart Fix

and finally save preferences to /Extra/org.Chameleon.Boot.plist ,

- now edit smbios.plist , let it look like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosdate</key>

<string>02/29/08</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>Macmini</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>Macmini5,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>G88014V4XYK</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>

</dict>

</plist>

- reboot

- now again open Applications - Tools - Champlist - Configurations

- now You should be able to change resolution to highest 1600x1200 , I would like to use full HD 1920x1200, but it is not possible to choose, may be somebody will help?

something needed to be edited?

now /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist looks:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1600x1200x32</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>6</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>No</string>