Old eMac Advice

3 posts in this topic

So, after about 2 years of hackintosh I have recently acquired an old eMac (1 GHZ G4 PPC, 512MB DDR2) and I was wondering what I should run on it... The machine is currently running 10.4.11, and since the processor speed and memory are high enough I should be able to upgrade to Leopard.

However, I have been reading online that leaving the eMac with Tiger might actually be more practical than upgrading. I have read that Leopard might significantly decrease performance on the eMac (or also on any PPC mac w/ <1GB RAM), and the performance of the machine is already leaving something to be desired at 10.4.

I was wondering what you all think about this. I would very much like to update because that opens up the possibility for many more applications than 10.4 allows and I most of the articles/forum posts I've read are years old.

Does anybody have a similar Mac and have some experience to share? Or does anybody know if with 10.5.8 if the performance hit would be lessened? Or finally if anybody would simply like to share their opinion on what I should do that would be greatly appreciated :)

I don't think you'll see much if any further degradation in speed. I help out a person with an eMac running 10.5.8 Server. I also help out an older lady with an iMac G4 which is roughly equivalent hardware wise although I did upgrade her memory. 10.5.8 is the farthest you can upgrade this machine. If you are looking for older versions of apps, try http://mac.oldapps.com/