How to patch any Mac OS X Restore DVD (gray disc) to work on any computer

9 posts in this topic

Considering it is such an obstacle, and I have been asked this many times, I think it would be worthwhile for this to finally be written down. :) This guide requires an existing installation of Mac OS X; for 10.4 and earlier, you can use any OS X release, but for 10.5 and 10.6 you need 10.5 or higher.

In short, there are basically three methods: one for 10.3 and earlier, one for 10.4, and one for 10.5 and 10.6. For 10.5 and 10.6, you need the Developer Tools (which are on the disc and are not machine specific.)

For all three, you first need to make a read/write image of your disc. This can easily be done by opening Disk Utility, selecting the DVD, clicking New Image, and selecting read/write for the format.

If you have 10.5 or 10.6, you also will need something to show hidden files, such as TinkerTool, to locate the System folder.

Next, go in the the Installation folder inside the System folder on the image. Locate OSInstall.mpkg.

Now, for 10.3 and earlier, right-click OSInstall.mpkg and choose Show Package Contents. Open Info.plist with TextEdit or a .plist editor. Near the bottom, there will be something like OSModelCheck that will have a model underneath it (in TextEdit) or beside it (in most other .plist tools), such as PowerMac3,1. Delete the whole thing (the key and the model), save the .plist file, and you're good to go. You may, though, want to check the Info.plist files of some bundled software such as AppleWorks to make sure that others don't have the model check, as some packages on my 10.3 disc did.

For 10.4, right-click OSInstall.mpkg and choose Show Package Contents. Now, right click OSInstall.dist, choose Open With -> Other..., and choose TextEdit. Basically the .dist is a Javascript file, so you will have to cipher through a junkload of code until you come to a model like PowerMac6,1. Above it, you will see the following code:

try {
	var modelProp = system.sysctl('hw.model');
}
catch(e) {
	system.log('hwbeInstallCheck threw exception ' + e);
}
var machineCount = hwbeSupportedMachines.length;
for ( var i = 0; i < machineCount; i++ ) {
	if ( modelProp == hwbeSupportedMachines[i] ) {
		return true;
	}
}

return false;
}
function hwbeInstallCheck() {
if ( !hwbeModelCheck() ) {
	my.result.message = system.localizedStringWithFormat('hwbe_machine_message');
	my.result.type = 'Fatal';
	return false;
}
return installCheckScript();
}
</script><script>
var hwbeSupportedMachines = ['PowerMac4,4','PowerMac6,4'];

change it to:

try {
	var modelProp = system.sysctl('hw.model');
}
catch(e) {
	system.log('hwbeInstallCheck threw exception ' + e);
}
var machineCount = hwbeSupportedMachines.length;
for ( var i = 0; i < machineCount; i++ ) {
	if ( modelProp == hwbeSupportedMachines[i] ) {
		return true;
	}
}

return true;
}
function hwbeInstallCheck() {
if ( !hwbeModelCheck() ) {
	my.result.message = system.localizedStringWithFormat('hwbe_machine_message');
	my.result.type = 'Fatal';
	return true;
}
return installCheckScript();
}
</script><script>
var hwbeSupportedMachines = ['PowerMac4,4','PowerMac6,4'];

Another option is to change the hwbeSupportedMachines to your Mac model (of your real Mac you will use it on or of your smbios.plist you will use), such as PowerMac2,2 instead of PowerMac4,4 and PowerMac6,4 in this example. However, I prefer the other method.

For 10.5 and 10.6, the editing process is the same as for Tiger, but with a twist: you need to open OSInstall.mpkg with PackageMaker, which is why you need the Developer Tools. When you open it, hit the tab called Requirements and double-click the top Javascript. Edit it the same way as described with Tiger and hit OK (or Save or whatever). If you are concerned about cosmetics, change the name from MacOSX_Title to Mac OS X; otherwise it will say "Select which disk to install MacOSX_Title on". :) Build the package (don't worry about all the other packages) and rename it to OSInstall.mpkg. Drag it to the Packages folder on the image, choose Replace, and you're done.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I found a slightly different method on gc0d3r's blog and tried it for myself on an OEM 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Disk for MBP 6,1 & 6,2.

Procedure outlined:

1. Extract Flat Package Editor.app from the Developer Tools.pkg using Pacifist (the pkg is found on the Mac OS X Install DVD/Optional Installs/Packages)---->copied to your Applications folder:

post-846696-0-29646300-1398600482_thumb.png

post-846696-0-98374200-1398600414_thumb.png

2. Restore the contents of the Snow Leopard DL-DVD onto a 8GB USB thumb drive with Disk Utility.

3. Modify the OSInstall.mpkg file which is located in the System/Installation/Packages folder on the USB

• Copy OSInstall.mpkg to the desktop
  • Open Flat Package Editor, choose File->Open and select OSInstall.mpkg ---->you will now see a Distribution file

post-846696-0-40977000-1398601308_thumb.png

• Drag the Distribution file to your Desktop (do not close Flat Package Editor, we still need it) and open it with TextEdit.  We are searching for the following string:
<installation-check script="installCheckScript()"/>
<volume-check script="volCheckScript()"/>

post-846696-0-99431100-1398601697_thumb.png

• Remove installCheckScript() and volCheckScript(), so the above lines now look like
<installation-check script=""/>
<volume-check script=""/>
  • Save the modification in TextEdit, delete the original Distribution file in the FPE window & drag the modified Distribution from the desktop back to Flat Package Editor.  Save the now patched OSInstall.mpkg in FPE.

post-846696-0-46672200-1398602243_thumb.png

post-846696-0-68806500-1398602258_thumb.png

post-846696-0-58142100-1398602275_thumb.png

• Finally, rename the original OSInstall.mpkg in /System/Installation/Packages----> OG.OSInstall.mpkg and replace with your hacked version from the desktop

post-846696-0-88222500-1398602731_thumb.png

The USB can now be used to install Snow Leopard on any Mac or Hackintosh (after installing a bootloader) :).  This method is also applicable to OSInstall.mpkg in OSX 10.7-10.9 install media (thus bypassing machine install checks).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I know this works for PowerPC-Macs, too, so I have a question.

I used my ibook G4's (last model before the Intel transition) discs and made the changes like in post one. If I remember right, I got it to install on a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth. Later I tried it on my G5 late 2005 and it didn't work. So I tried adding all model names to the true-list, but that didn't help either.

Maybe I made a mistake.

NOW MY QUESTION

Can I perhaps send one of you guys the Text-Edit files and you change it for me, to work on all PowerPCs?

Thanks in advance...

Edit: I am refering to Tiger (10.4) and the G5 came with 10.3. so it should definitely be able to install.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for making this pookyman combined with a guide i found on how to fit os x on a 4.7 hb dvd you could make os x86 tiger/leopard/snow leo (I have tiger disks for an intel imac).

• 1 year later...

I found a slightly different method on gc0d3r's blog and tried it for myself on an OEM 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Disk for MBP 6,1 & 6,2.

Procedure outlined:

1. Extract Flat Package Editor.app from the Developer Tools.pkg using Pacifist (the pkg is found on the Mac OS X Install DVD/Optional Installs/Packages)---->copied to your Applications folder:

attachicon.gifDeveloperTools.png

attachicon.gifFlat Package Editor.png

2. Restore the contents of the Snow Leopard DL-DVD onto a 8GB USB thumb drive with Disk Utility.

3. Modify the OSInstall.mpkg file which is located in the System/Installation/Packages folder on the USB

• Open Flat Package Editor, choose File->Open and select OSInstall.mpkg ---->you will now see a Distribution file

attachicon.gifOSInstall_mpkg.png

• Drag the Distribution file to your Desktop (do not close Flat Package Editor, we still need it) and open it with TextEdit.  We are searching for the following string:

attachicon.gifDistribution1.png

• Remove installCheckScript() and volCheckScript(), so the above lines now look like
  • Save the modification in TextEdit, delete the original Distribution file in the FPE window & drag the modified Distribution from the desktop back to Flat Package Editor.  Save the now patched OSInstall.mpkg in FPE.

attachicon.gifDistribution2.png

attachicon.gifDistribution3.png

attachicon.gifDistribution4.png

• Finally, rename the original OSInstall.mpkg in /System/Installation/Packages----> OG.OSInstall.mpkg and replace with your hacked version from the desktop

attachicon.gifRestore OSInstall_mpkg.png

The USB can now be used to install Snow Leopard on any Mac or Hackintosh (after installing a bootloader) :).  This method is also applicable to OSInstall.mpkg in OSX 10.7-10.9 install media (thus bypassing machine install checks).

I did everything in your instructions, however, the Distribution file does not seem to be saving. I edit the distribution file, then delete the original, then drag and drop and save. But when I go back and check the distribution file, it has somehow reverted back to the original.  Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a Macbook5,2 that I need to get updated to snow leopard but the disc image that I have is made for a macbookpro6,1/macbookpro6,2 and I can't seem to edit the OSInstall.mpkg file.

• 2 years later...

Begin Rant....My homeschool coop has recently started a lego robotics program, and was looking for several laptops to simply run the lego robotics program which requires OSX 10.6 or higher.  I had an old Macbook 4,1 laying around that I thought I would donate; just needs a new hard drive and a software update.  New hard drive arrived from Amazon and will have soon have a clean OSX install.  Fumbling around on the internet, it seems that the 10.7 is the highest OSX version that is compatible with my Macbook 4,1.  Already spent $50 for the hard drive, and Apple wants $20 for Lion.  Well....HMMMM.....Ok, I guess I can spend $20 for Lion.  $20 to apple and the authentication code arrived in my inbox.  Just simply go to the App Store and download Lion, Right?  Wrong!  Lion won't download to any of my newer machines because they are all running High Sierra.  HMMMMM....Lets install the original 10.5.8 software and download from there.  Wrong!  10.5.8 doesn't have an App Store,.  Call Apple for Help....We're sorry sir, but your Macbook 4,1 is considered obsolete, and no we cannot refund your $20 for 10.7 (And no it doesn't matter how many tens of thousands of dollars you have spent on Imacs, Macbooks, Ipads, and Iphones, We're not going out of our way to help you.)  Well Apple, I have a hard time believing that the majority of those purchasing OSX 10.7 are running at least 10.6.8.  I'm also betting that most of us trying to install something as obsolete as 10.7 are wanting a clean install (Yes I realize they are probably getting 10.7 from somewhere else, or using Linux or windows).  But seriously, why do you have 10.7 for sale on your website?  How many machines are out there that you can actually download it?  Only those running 10.6.8?  Why buy if your already running 10.7?  I'm assuming it won't download on anything higher?  Big disappointment Apple!  End Rant!

I'm probably the only idiot out there trying to do this, but just in case here is how I did it.  

Procedure outlined:

attachicon.gifDeveloperTools.png

attachicon.gifFlat Package Editor.png

attachicon.gifOSInstall_mpkg.png

attachicon.gifDistribution1.png

attachicon.gifDistribution2.png

attachicon.gifDistribution3.png

attachicon.gifDistribution4.png

attachicon.gifRestore OSInstall_mpkg.png

I just happened to have Gray install CD's for 10.5.3, and 10.6.4 (didn't realize I had 10.6 until I had already bought 10.7).  Downloaded Tinker Tool from the internet.  I used Pacifist to retrieve the flat package editor from the 2nd 10.5.3 installation CD (flat package editor from 10.6 wouldn't work since I was running 10.5. )  Edited the Distribution file in 10.6.4 and voila, after a couple of Software updates I'm running 10.6.8 with App Store.  Downloading 10.7 now...Jury is still out on whether it will run on my machine.  In any event I only need 10.6 to run the robotics software, so its been a success!  Thanks fusion71au for the help!

• 2 years later...