[?] Requesting information before installation

8 posts in this topic

Originally I have Windows 7 x64 installed. I installed Hackintosh last year in October and used it for roughly a month and had my set-up dual-boot. However, it seemed Andy's custom boot (or something) deleted my MBR for Windows 7 and I had a hard time restoring it due to lack of Windows repair methods (no discs, no method of burning to discs via Mac, etc).

What I need your help is deciding whether or not to start using Mac on my PC again. A few problems I had in the past with using Lion was:

• Flash crashing after extended usage
  • Flash videos being completely transparent within its canvas
  • The system not using my graphics power to its fullest potential
  • Sputtering lag in games (such as Heroes of Newerth)
  • The notorious mouse acceleration delay issue that is layered in Macintosh's core
  • A few others I vaguely recall

I would absolutely love to return to using Mac on my PC once again. I have not yet used Mountain Lion yet. I'm unsure what issues would be presented in this and I am unsure if any of the listed issues have been mitigated.

To detail, I would prefer to always be logged onto Macintosh without having to switch to another OS to play a game or so. I was told by a friend that there was a possibility that Macintosh has an application (or so) that will allow virtualization of Windows 7 to interact directly with the hardware. I'm hoping to virtually use windows 7 within Macintosh without any lag or delay. I have very little experience with Macintosh.

After reviewing my hardware, please help me decide the best tutorial and tools comprehensive to install Mountain Lion if it's the best choice.

Hardware:

Mobo:

66boM.png

CPU:

O9zbe.png

BIOS:

wxE2d.png

Network Interface:

sUhjl.png

Memory:

DyFtv.png

Video:

33mhq.png

Alright. Instead of recreating this thread in the Lion forum, what about Lion? Has the issues been fixed in any release of Lion? Do you also know if there is a method to run Windows within Mac flawlessly (as if you were running Windows alone)?

From reading your post, I would recommend you to sort out your graphics problems. Get all screen resolutions supported. This will probably solve any Flash and lag in games problems as these are not generic to a mac and/or hackintosh install.

There is no reason in the world why that machine isn't flying! Did you use a distro to install? Vanilla is the best way to go. And yes, Lion is rock solid for me...so is Mountain Lion but then I'm picky about my hardware.

On a desktop PC, highly recommend installing OSX and Win on separate hard drives which eliminates the possibility of having any mbr problems or boot loader tug-of-war. The graphics card you have should rip through any game on the market if set up properly. There is no mouse issues layered in either my Lion or Mountain Lion installs, and I've peeled back all the layers :) Only similar issue would be possible bluetooth mouse lag during heavy wifi traffic which can depend on many variables such as router location. And flash is flash, newer updates seem better, but it will always be flash, ios fixed this by not using it, I prefer to have the choice, but it's only used if it's the only option. My Mountain Lion install is as stable as can be and has never crashed unless I was testing higher overclock settings, which is to be expected. That being said, I don't recommend a developer preview unless your willing and able make everything work for your hardware and software as there are limited resources to help with any trouble shooting, your mostly on your own. I think for me it's better than Lion, but as with bigpoppa206, I've never bought any hardware without the intent of running OSX on it, and researched it so I know it will be compatible before purchasing. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out well for you and your needs. Since decisions are hard, you can always install both :) Will see how this DP3 update 2 goes in just a few min.

There is no reason in the world why that machine isn't flying! Did you use a distro to install? Vanilla is the best way to go. And yes, Lion is rock solid for me...so is Mountain Lion but then I'm picky about my hardware.

On a desktop PC, highly recommend installing OSX and Win on separate hard drives which eliminates the possibility of having any mbr problems or boot loader tug-of-war.

I believe I used this guide to install Mac on my PC. Also note that I do have my mac install on a separate hard drive (128GB) and not my primary (Windows 7 installed (500GB)). Note I am running Lion. Yet still, somehow, my MBR was missing. The actual BOOTSECT (or bootmgr) was missing from my Windows hdd. I use Andy's custom boot method for multibooting. I do not know how to change that to Chameleon or any other boot manager, although I believe Andy's boot manager works out quite nice. Additionally I do not recall the approximate Snow Leopard .dmg I installed, but I am 99% certain it was retail. Completely vanilla.

The graphics card you have should rip through any game on the market if set up properly. There is no mouse issues layered in either my Lion or Mountain Lion installs, and I've peeled back all the layers :) Only similar issue would be possible bluetooth mouse lag during heavy wifi traffic which can depend on many variables such as router location.

My graphics card does perform excellent on every game; on Windows. The mouse delay I am referring to is the notorious hard-coded 32ms mouse lag (as seen here - mouse annoyances). I still experience this issue.

I haven't ran my mac partition in a while, but I do remember that after leaving it on for an extensive period, say 2+ days, it freezes up. That's a huge problem for me because I tend to never shut down or restart my machine unless absolutely necessary.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Although I don't doubt you are experiencing a lag issue, this (here - mouse annoyances) gut feeling that somehow was calculated to 32ms by use of the "seat of the pants" measuring protocol hardly proves an underlying issue effecting all macs and all mice. More common to hear people who run OSX on PC comment how much faster it feels, but this can't be proven either. I too have had some occasional lag with bluetooth mice/trackpads only. never with hardwired or standard wireless/usb. My older C2D macbook, will do similar lag if both CPU cores are maxed for a while and hardware temps get high, once throttled back down its fine and overall a rare occurrence. my trusty old mx-revolution non-bluetooth mouse has zero lag in 10.6,10.7,10.8,ubuntu 10.10,11.04,win xp,7 and win 8 developer preview or on my macbook running 10.5,10.6,10.7(i've had this mouse a long time cause it's the best ever made and now discontinued :( ) All this in spite of the horrible Logitech Control Center will fill your system log with errors from it's bits of antiquated code that still remain. On a hackintosh set up, chances are more likely its a usb lag or bluetooth lag and mouse is the only thing you can really notice it on. aside from applying usb fixes/dsdt edits check if allow assistive devices is enabled in accessibility pref. and adjust tracking speed to personal taste. A issue with the GPU's framebuffer settings could also cause what seems like mouse lag but is graphic lag, as coulld poor monitor response time (32ms is not much) And for gaming, I obviously meant it can rip through any game available for OSX not win :)

Although kinda off topic, since sabertooth x58 is no longer being produced this lovely gem of a review of it from newegg will disappear, so gotta post it now, kinda goes with "don't believe every thing you read on internet" and applies to the poster of the comment and to any who may read it.. This is not an old review, it's dated 3/7/2012, which makes it funnier and would love to know which osx version he's running. I can attest they make great hackintosh boards, but it's somehow the motherboards fault he's using Efi-x, which I would not let near my garage door opener, let alone my PC. Even bought USB audio to avoid the hassle simply installing the proper appleHDA.kext. Take 2 min to fix maybe?

------------------------------------------------------------------

none.gifNot a good option for a hackintosh

Pros: looks nice!

Cons: I am using it to make a hackintosh using Efi-x, so, my comments are for specific users. I used to have a DFI motherboard and I had much less issue with it than this one. The LAN connection constantly interrupts. The sound quality is very low and noisy to the the point that I am using an external USB sound adapter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So always remember no matter what version you run or how, it will always be a hackintosh and therefore some hacking (term used loosely) is likely required to get all hardware functioning at 100%, and you may never have everything work 100% depending on the hardware, especially if your just working with what you happened to have on hand. Even 100% working, I consider mine always a work in progress with possible room for improvement somewhere. Contrary to what the Efi-x makers may think, it's a hobby, for fun. I have a real mac to fall back on if needed and would expect most to have a mac or windows OS available to use when needed. Have fun with it, don't be frustrated by it :)

sorry for the long post!