Can't get my rtl8169 to work on 10.7

moomoo5

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I installed 10.7.2 using iATKOS L2, I followed the instructions and everything went fine except for one thing : my network card.

according to windows I have a "Realtek 8169/8110" ethernet card, when you look at its vendor and model it is : VEN_10EC&DEV_8167

so I asked iatkos install to install this driver (AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext), and no ethernet interface showed up in network preference.

I alos tried installing lnx2mac's RealtekRTL81xx driver, and still no ethernet interface in network preference.

here is my config :

ASUS Maximus III Formula (P55)

Core i7 860 @ 2.8GHz

4GB ram

any hint on how to set up my network card would be appreciated.

I may be blind, but I just looked at iAtkos LS and I don't see any option to install AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext. I do see an option to install Realtek RTL8111/8168 which happens to be lnx2mac's driver but it is limited only to device id 8168 and your device id is 8167. If you still have the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext around, check its vendor and device id's and make adjustments accordingly. But I would ensure that only one of them is installed at any given time so there aren't any conflicts.

From what I can tell, the following version of AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext contains your device and vendor ids and should work: http://www.osx86.net/view/1367-applertl8169.kext.html

Just be sure to remove any of your other false starts.

Thank you for your reply,

I'm quite sure there is a rtl8169 install option in iatkos l2, it seems it installs a "AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext" to the Contens/Plugins directory of IONetworkingFamily.kext (not sure about the exact name)

I'm also interested in something you said :

if you still have the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext around, check its vendor and device id's and make adjustments accordingly

how can you determine which vendor and device ids are supported by a kext ?

can you change that ?

From what I can tell, the following version of AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext contains your device and vendor ids and should work: http://www.osx86.net...l8169.kext.html

I'll try to test when I'm at home.

I'm quite sure there is a rtl8169 install option in iatkos l2, it seems it installs a "AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext" to the Contens/Plugins directory of IONetworkingFamily.kext (not sure about the exact name)

For iAtkos L2, I ran the installer and looked at all of the options. I also opened up the installer packages and I couldn't find it. Maybe you used a product called [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I'm also interested in something you said :

how can you determine which vendor and device ids are supported by a kext ?

can you change that ?

Yes, you can check it and change it. It is a very common practice. There are a variety of ways to look at it and to change it. I will discuss one of each.

A quick way to look at it is to use Quicklook - an OSX feature that allows you to see inside a file with the click of the space bar. OSX apps and kexts and other items aren't really files at all. They are a series of directories and files. To look at which vendor id and device id's a kext supports, right-click on the kext and select "Show Package Contents". Open the Contents folder and find the Info.plist file. Click once on the Info.plist file and tap the Space bar. Scroll down to find the tag that says PCIMatch. There you will find a 10-digit hex number that consists of "0x" followed by the device id and vendor id. Depending upon the type of kext, the vendor id may be the first 4 characters and the device id the last 4 characters. Or it could be reverse of that. You can look up the vendor and device id's in the PCIIDS database (Google it). To close the document, just tap the Space bar again.

There are different ways to edit the Info.plist. One way is to drag the kext to the Desktop where it will make a copy. Open the kext to get to the Info.plist. Use TextEdit to edit the Info.plist. Use Kext Helper or Kext Wizard to reinstall the kext and maintain the correct permissions.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36764

You were right about iatkos l2 it doesnt give you realtek's driver it gives you lnx2mac's driver.

So to be sure to have a clean extensions directory after every things I tried, I reinstalled osx from scratch and then I installed realtek driver : i checked its info.plist and it really is supposed to be there for my product and vendor ids.

But I still dont have any 'ethernet' in 'network' in system preference after the reboot =/

Well, I'll download it tomorow because my isp is dead right now and im using my phone to post.

Here are results from dmesg of my current situation (without your new kext) :

kxld[com.realtek.driver.rtl8169] The Mach-O file is malformed: Invalid magic number: 0xcefaedfe

And 3 other lines telling me it's not loading in consequence.

Are you using Kext Helper or Kext Wizard to install your kexts? It is necessary in order to protect the permissions on the kext. The error you have sounds like the permissions are not correct.

As i dont have internet access right now I couldnt download those programs so I just used the installer from realtek.

Also I used kext utility a program that was installed with iatkos that is supposed to fix permissions ans update system caches.

But I dont think I can do anything new without an internet access, so than k you again for your help Ill repost when my isp is back online.

edit : my internet access is back I'll download the tools you advised and the kext you gave me.

You can try to repair the permissions manually. Go to /Applications/Utilities and find the Terminal program.

Open Terminal

Type:  cd /System/Library/Extensions
Type:  sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext
(give your password - the cursor won't move - there will be no feedback - just type your password and <Enter>)
Type:  sudo chmod -R 755 AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext
Type:  cd ../
Type:  sudo touch Extensions

Reboot -v -f

I would wait until your internet is working and then go download and install the kext I listed in posting #6. Be sure the permissions are correct. I would use Kext Helper or Kext Wizard to install the kext or do it manually as I outlined in posting #10.

The link you gave refers to someone who has two Realtek ethernet cards - one built-in to the mobo and the other in a PCI slot. He was potentially having interference between the two although I'm not sure I believe that. I have two Marvell ethernet cards built into my mobo and they work fine off a single kext.

OK…..

I gave you a kext in posting #2. In posting #7, you gave me information about it that indicated the permissions were not right. In posting #10, I gave you instructions to manually fix the permissions.

Meanwhile, I gave you another kext in posting #6. And you are saying that the error in posting #11 is from this kext.

Since the kext from posting #2 was never tested with the correct permissions (I think…I'm not sure anymore), then I would test the one from posting #2. Again, be sure the permissions are correct.

If neither kext works, I don't know what to tell you. Either one should work.

Update:

Here is another kext to try: http://www.mediafire.com/?k1o7b95muz5xzvm

to be clear :

1) I think I can rule out the kext usage methodology, I used 2 tools (installed automatically by iatkos I suppose) called 'Kext Utility' and Champlist.

now I prefer to do it by hand, I'm sure it's done that way.

2) about the drivers :

it didnt work with the one you gave me in #2 but there may have been kext conflicting at that time.

I then reinstalled macosx completely and retried some supposedly working kext from realtek that didnt work.

I then tried the kext you gave me in #6 and got this weird error, and then I tried removing the 3 kexts mentionned in the post I cited in #11 and it worked (I'm using my install to post right now)

but I dont really like that it worked by removing drivers I dont know about, so I'll give it a last shot with a brand extensions directory (I completely saved it after install and with the kext you gave me in #2 (making every rights and user group ok, of course)

and I really thank you again for your patience and your tenacity.

EDIT:

I had some time and tried again.

from a clean install, I did this 3 times :

installing a kext (meaning I'm setting rights and ownership correctly, rebuilding the cache and all)

I tried the kext you gave me in post #2, #6 and #14

each time I got the

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: IOInterruptEventSource error

so well, I'll have to stick with the method described here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188012

even if it's a little dirty.