Should I update the kext caches? How do I do this?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
It is very necessary; whenever you install a new kext, if you don't update the caches it renders the driver ineffective!

/System/Library/Extensions and /Extra/Extensions both have their own caches. Wherever you install the next is where you have to update the caches, so if you install a kext in /System/Library/Extensions you must update the caches in /System/Library/Extensions but you don't have to worry about /Extra/Extensions, and vice versa.

GUI Utilities
You can download and run Kext Utility to update the caches for both /System/Library/Extensions and /Extra/Extensions for any system 10.5 Leopard or higher. This utility is easiest for newbies, but it can be inconsistent and occasionally not update the caches properly, particularly on 10.7 Lion systems.

Manual methods
Depends on which folder you update:

/Extra/Extensions
Run the following command in the Terminal:
sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

/System/Library/Extensions
This depends on your system:

10.4 Tiger/10.5 Leopard
Simply go to /System/Library and delete the files Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache.

10.6 Snow Leopard
This is the same as updating /Extra/Extensions, but with the correct directory.
sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

10.7 Lion
Enter the following in the Terminal: either
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches
or
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Note that on 10.7 Lion systems, the kext cache by default is ignored. This will cause a slow boot process; to fix this you must boot with UseKernelCache=Yes, but no kexts in /Extra/Extensions will be loaded. For more information, see this FAQ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy