Permanently Banned From Tonymacx86

mnfesq

752 posts in this topic

Tonymacs rules page (at least parts of it):

*Tonymac's rules taken down at their request*

Dafuq, idiots ^^

lol i cant believe they actualy asked to delete the rules posting LOL.

like uhh dont tell them our rules... let them find out the banned way.

That is indeed very odd. Copyrighted rules? Can't anybody read their rules in their forum? We don't want to copy their rules (or anything else for that matter), thanks very much.

Classified info I guess :)

Just for your information, they have absolutely no legal standing to ask you to remove that content. Sure, it's their content, but by putting it on a public part of their website, they are agreeing to allowing it to be potentially used under the "fair use" doctrine of the U.S. copyright act. Seeing that their LLC is registered in (I believe) New Jersey, there is no escaping this.

I believe that Insanelymac is a news website, is it not? Or at least partially? Not to mention, a forum is meant for sharing news and information, and this section is even in the readers news category. You then have the RIGHT to look at your use of a copyrighted work using four parameters:

From the copyright information office:

Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair.

1) The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes

2) The nature of the copyrighted work

3) The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole

4) The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

Well, let's take a look shall we?

1) You are not using the information for commercial reasons, and I would say that education is the main goal here. There have already been many landmark cases that ruled in favor of allowing copyrighted material to be republished/quoted/referenced for critique, discussion and news reporting.

2) The nature of the copyrighted work is a bit contestable simply because there are no set rules that exist for online copy and pasting, HOWEVER generally speaking information that was created for public consumption (i.e. public rules) can usually be reused publicly.

3) Number three does not apply, seeing as we are only talking about a small amount of text. Also I should point out that this category would be more pertinent for the reposting of trade secrets (i.e. quoting the theory behind a product is ok, quoting the entire techincal manufacturing process is not).

4) What effect on the potential market value? Absolutely none, seeing as "forum rules" have no financial value. Whether the discussion of said rules would damage income made by participation on their site is also irrelevant, seeing as no disparaging changes have been made to text THEY created.

I say those rules should go right back up unless you see an official DMCA takedown request from a lawyer. Even then, a simple reference to section 107 of the fair use section of copyright law would immediately end the discussion, not to mention only the most money-hungry of lawyers would even dare to send such a takedown request for such a legitimate use of copyrighted materials. I'm not a lawyer, but I did study business law and this is something we were taught in the first few weeks of year 1. Unless someone is profiting or reposting trade secrets, you don't have a leg to stand on. Asking someone to take down something that is REQUIRED READING to be a member of your website? Tantamount to a copyright hissy-fit, and laughable.

• Like 5

Thank god tony can't use Clover, they would only rebrand it and sell it.It is already strange that they allowed that iMessage thread to survive.
This is because since it was problem for everyone, it even effected users who bought the recommended "CustoMac" builds and they were all begging "Tony, help us! We wait for you to fix this for us". Many of us worked together very hard to figure out the final fix and tons of members contributed in one way or another, final piece to puzzle was even posted by user there first (ElNono and flux84), who also posted here and Clover team implemented fix in record time. True community effort! To wait for it to be applied to Chameleon, then trickle down to Chimera, would be very long wait, and he couldn't hide from angry users forever (curiously one early thread on the issue there was accidentally deleted once it got to like 20 pages of "Help Us!" in a few days). Once a fix was available, he made first post to the thread. Can't blame him as issue was more than any one person could quickly figure out, but think some response would have calmed them down, maybe saying something like "Don't worry. We are aware of the iMessage problem and are actively watching the community forums looking for a fix"? I know that sounds like a jab, but we all do that to some extent. Just some will admit it and give credit where it's due, and some take credit for "finding" what someone else already posted. It was clear by many of the "We wait for you to save us Tony!" posts that too many users there had no idea that in one way or another, many years of work by hundreds of developers has gone into all the "tools" they use, not one person snapping their fingers to make it all done :(
pleeeeeeeeease :lol:
Please is a word I can appreciate, but I don't think it applies to their rules.....Pleeeeease don't do X,Y,Z or we BAN YOU! is just pretending to be nice. Like saying: Please don't drive over speed limit...or we shoot you and your family. :)
Just for your information, they have absolutely no legal standing to ask you to remove that content.
True, but if someone asks for content they wrote to be removed from site, I don't have a problem with removing it. Especially if:

-It's not a valuable resource to help others run OSX on a PC.

-It's rules I'm not interested in anyways since they don't apply here

-They ask nicely and say pleeeeeease! :)

• Like 5

It seems that making suggestions to users on the right site to solve problems is a mortal sin.

But I just explained to someone who was left without answers that certain issues, if not provided for [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], would not be taken into consideration...

Permanently Banned (again) for Trolling. :D

Schermata 2013-04-02 alle 11.10.16.png

P.S. i Like "Trolling" on the Tonymac site :dev:

• Like 4

It seems that making suggestions to users on the right site to solve problems is a mortal sin.

But I just explained to someone who was left without answers that certain issues, if not provided for [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], would not be taken into consideration...

Permanently Banned (again) for Trolling. :D

Schermata 2013-04-02 alle 11.10.16.png

P.S. i Like "Trolling" on the Tonymac site :dev:

LMAO...But I think after 3 bans, you are trolling :D
  • Like 1

So I got banned, becasue I wrote a short how-I-did-it for my asus board, since someone else was having problems, and yeah, I forgot I must not mention one specific distro... I could have went to my friend's place, he has a MBP, and make my USB stick via unib... there, but hey... I saved myself little going around. And for mentioning that, I got banned. Seriously???

His site was the first one I discovered and the explanations were easy. Just I couldn't get the SL installed, so decided to try it with iAtkos, and that worked out. But didn't want to use such "versions", so I bought the ML in iAtkos, reformatted and installed the original.

• Like 2

His site was the first one I discovered and the explanations were easy.

Yip, same here. I was literally clueless when it came to OS X, I found a Youtube video, and the guy used his tools, and made an awesome, easy to follow how to install video that explained everything. Unfortunately I didn't realize they had sticks so far up their asses when it came to anything outside of their little world.

• Like 2

Yip, same here. I was literally clueless when it came to OS X, I found a Youtube video, and the guy used his tools, and made an awesome, easy to follow how to install video that explained everything. Unfortunately I didn't realize they had sticks so far up their asses when it came to anything outside of their little world.

So, would that mean they have sticks coming out their mouths? Cause you can only go up so far :)
  • Like 2

So, would that mean they have sticks coming out their mouths? Cause you can only go up so far :)

So far up they are marketing toothpicks.

• Like 1

It's a really sad situation and imo there shouldn't be any sort of censorship either way... Truth is that tonymacosx86 has some great useful tools in there for the newbie hackintoshers especially. Personally without them I probably wouldn't have been able to make my first hackintosh. Now that I'm a bit more seasoned I find that the philosofy and methods provided here to be more to my liking and I find myself interested in contributing the little I know to the community behalf.

• Like 2

It's a really sad situation and imo there shouldn't be any sort of censorship either way... Truth is that tonymacosx86 has some great useful tools in there for the newbie hackintoshers especially. Personally without them I probably wouldn't have been able to make my first hackintosh. Now that I'm a bit more seasoned I find that the philosofy and methods provided here to be more to my liking and I find myself interested in contributing the little I know to the community behalf.

Mtek, the problem here is, or else it appears to be from my perspective, of other nature altogether.

First, it's not that Voldemort's spells aren't effective, or don't stimulate the newbie to learn, or that he's a tyrant, or any other disagreement of practical/philosophical order related to the way Voldemort and his horcruxes release their beasts and conduct their zombies. The way they take care of they realm is their problem altogether, and would be pettiness and hypocrisy to deny them this right.

The real problem seems, from what i read here and elsewhere, in this exact order 1) his spells, which are all proprietary, are suspected (and in at least one instance, confirmed, see in the comments section here: http://prasys.info/2...ymac-seriously/) to be compiled from the work of others, without permission or due credits; 2) he is accused by others to use the widespread popularity of these spells to profit from the OSX86 scene, thus gaining his bread with the sweat of others, with the plus that is risking to attract the wrath of Apple to the scene; 3) at the same time, he appears to seek a strict control to the referred spells and the people who use them, censoring any mention to other tools (therefore emphasizing the commercial, competitive nature of his activities in the eyes of many) and expelling from his forum anyone who dare to speak about them, and even supposedly harassing people who move to expose them in any way (like that incident his staff threatened some guy with DCMA charges).

In the light of the three points above, it makes all sense he is kept as the-one-who-cannot-be-named here, regardless of his popularity, of the efficacy of what he distributes, and how grateful anyone can feel about his work (gratitude that might as well be deserved by someone else).

All the best!

• Like 6

These are definitely my thoughts! I've looked at all the guides and tutorials how to set up my first hack, while the sites like Insanely and OSx86 were completely technical for my first knowledge, I found tonymac to be very inviting and self-explaining for me as the first time installer. My only problem was that the requirement was the working OSX installation to install the ML. However after already 2 weeks, I found myself not wanting their tools and just learning the right way, the custom and official way. This is where Insanely/OSx86/solo devs are much more of help.

• Like 1

These are definitely my thoughts! I've looked at all the guides and tutorials how to set up my first hack, while the sites like Insanely and OSx86 were completely technical for my first knowledge, I found tonymac to be very inviting and self-explaining for me as the first time installer.

OTOH we have never forbidden distributions, which originally were the only way to install OS X on a PC, and now they are so easy that even a 5 year old child could use them. Take the latest iATKOS, it is point and click, easier than Windows or Linux.

Of course Tmac forbids them, because they take away business from him (if it weren't about business, he wouldn't have any good reason to ban them).

His excuse (distributions are piracy) is very poor. If you have a legally purchased copy of OS X, no installation method is piracy, it is merely a breach of EULA.

However, if an organisation makes illegal profits from OS X, that could cause the rage of Apple (and rightly so) as it already happened with Psystar.

However, if an organisation makes illegal profits from OS X, that could cause the rage of Apple (and rightly so) as it already happened with Psystar.

That could easily happen, especially if Apple sees someone making money off the thing. As long as it's kept open and a free project, the thing might survive. I would even see Apple leaving it be (if free) because causing small inconviniences will then push the hack-users to buy real Macs and transition from Windows to Macs completely, what would otherwise not happen alone. Many can't be convinced to change just like that, without long therm test, including me.