Chameleon loads kexts then restarts...

pokiron

12 posts in this topic

Guys,

I'm having a problem with my Mountain Lion installer (DP2 or DP3). I followed this guide here http://www.insanelym...howtopic=276647 and

I know that I did everything right. Whenever I boot from my USB, I can make it through the Chameleon bootloader but after it loads all the kexts, my machine always restarts.

I cannot even make it to the verbose boot screen. I have tried several boot args to no good. Am I doing something wrong here? Is there anything wrong with the kernel or

something? Pls. help me out here.........

My machine:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750

Mobo: ECS P55H-A (1.0)

RAM: 8GB (4x2GB) Kingston DDR3-1333

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750

HDD: Seagate 500GB SATAII

OS i'm using: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (with custom DSDT)

SMBIOS: MacPro 3,1

Thanks very much!....

Sounds like a problem with the kernel - like it doesn't exist. Also, those scripts you run install a lot of kexts for a Gigabyte motherboard, not yours. In fact the instructions say that if you are installing to a different motherboard, you should change the scripts appropriately. A lot of people have no idea how to do that. It is better if you build this thing manually.

I would use http://thetecherra.c...tart-to-finish/ as a guide. Ignore Part 4.3 and Part 4.4. I don't know which Chameleon package they use, but I would get the ErmaC PKG (not binaries) from this page: http://www.insanelym...owtopic=231075. Lastly, copy your files from the Extra/Extension folder in 10.7.3 to the Extra/Extension folder on both the flash drive and on your final installation. You know they make 10.7.3 run correctly, so that is a good starting point for ML DP2 or DP3.

When you boot your installer, use boot flags -v -x npci=0x2000

Just as I suspected - it is the kernel itself. Can you give me an idea where could I find those scripts that I should change? I have never encountered any of these before so its kind of challenging for me.

I will use the guides you gave and see if it will work out right this time. Thanks.

The scripts are in the package MtnLion DP-2 Installer Kit.zip. If you followed directions, you must have run them from Terminal. If you didn't run them, then that is why there is no kernel. The scripts are call "mkboot" and "finalize".

The method I proposed uses no scripts.

I'm still having that problem.. I have tried the guide you gave and I followed it. It still restarts when I try to boot into installer.

I know my machine is compatible and capable of running Mountain Lion. It's actually weird. I don't know what to do about it.

Pls. help me again here..

Thanks.

Did you add kexts to /S/L/E ? What were they? What kexts do you have in your /Extra/Extensions? In /Extra, do you have a file Extensions.mkext? Did you boot -v -x npci=0x2000 as I suggested?

I have FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement kexts in /S/L/E. I don't have any kexts in /Extra/Extensions. I have Extensions.mkext in /Extra. I boot by typing -v -x npci=0x2000 as you said. I'm doing this in my USB installer.

It still can't boot after I removed Extensions.mkext.. I'm lost now. Do I need a patched kernel for this?

But did it do anything different after you removed the Extensions.mkext? Instead of restarting, did it just hang? The goal was to stop it from just restarting. If it does something different then that tells us something is wrong with the Extensions.mkext and we can work on fixing it.

No, a vanilla kernel works fine with Intel Core i5-750.