• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

kream

kream

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
After two days of trial and error, I managed to install Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on my 1001PXD complete with wifi (via the ever-irreverent AR9285) and sound. It dual boots with Windows 7 on the same HDD via chameleon.

I thought I would write up a guide, as I haven't found any on the 1001PXD. The closest I found were a few unspecific guides for the 1001PX.

Off to it.

What you need:

1. 8gb USB flash drive "8gbFD"
1a. (optional) second flash drive, at least 2gb
2. Access to another Mac
3. The following files:
3a. Hazard 10.6.6i Snow Leopard iso (Google it)
3b. Apple 10.6.8 Combo Update
3c. 10.6.8 Legacy Kernel
3d. This set of kext files for the AR9285 chip
3e. Netbookinstaller 0.8.4 rc1 (NOT 0.8.5pre) "NBI"
3f. VoodooHDA.kext. Not providing a link because I can't find the source for the file I used and I don't want to recommend a random one I haven't tested.

Procedure:

Part I
1. Dowload Hazard 10.6.6i iso onto your other mac. Insert 8gb flash drive. Mount the Hazard iso (double click on it).
2. Open Disk Utility. Select your 8gb USB stick, click on the "Erase" tab, select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and click "Erase."
3. Now click the "Restore" tab. Drag the MOUNTED Hazard image to the "Source" line, and your 8gb flash drive to "Destination." Click "Restore."
4. Open Netbookinstaller 0.8.4 rc1, select your 8gbFD, and click "Prepare Drive."

Part II
1. Eject your new bootable USB stick from the mac and insert it into your netbook. Restart the netbook and smash F2 until you get to the BIOS screen. Navigate to boot order and select "Hard disk order." Set USB as first priority, press F10 and hit Enter.
2. After the System restarts, it will boot from the USB dongle and present a menu. Select "Hazard 10.6.6i" and press Enter.
3. It will boot into the OSX installer. Select whatever language you prefer, accept the agreement, and click "Customize."
4. Expand all the suboptions. Under Chameleon select RC4 or RC5 (both worked for me) and Bootx86. This doesn't really matter as we will run NBI later which will change your chameleon settings.
5. Check all the boxes EXCEPT for DSDT Patcher, EvOSpeedStep, Graphics, Sound, and Network drivers.
6. Accept and click Install.
7. Restart, leaving the USB stick in the computer. This time select your OSX partition at the boot menu.
8. Insert your second flash drive with NBI 0.8.4, the 10.6.8 combo update, 10.6.8 legacy kernel, and voodoHDA.kext on it. Copy everything to your HDD.
9. Open NBI, check ONLY the FIRST option (install chameleon), target your OSX install and click "Prepare." OSX is now bootable (and dual bootable). This will also install an EFI inject that will fix the resolution problem you didn't know you had ;) (If you boot without USB stick before running NBI it will only be 800x600)

I suggest a reboot here after removing the 8gbFD to make sure everything works. Don't forget to remove your second USB stick or the comp will try to boot from that (fail)

10. If reboot succeeds, mount 10.6.8 Combo update and run the installer. DO NOT RESTART
11. Extract the 10.6.8 legacy kernel and run that installer. Now restart.
12. Open Kext Utility (comes in /Applications/ in Hazard install) and install IO80211Family.Kext from aforementioned archive. Drag the other file (the .bundle) to /System/Library/SystemConfiguration. You will have to delete the one that is already there.
13. Delete AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E. Use Kext Utility to install VoodooHDA.kext.
14. Cross fingers and reboot ;)

Good luck!

Edit: Some clarifications

The 1001PXD uses Intel GMA 3150, which is unsupported. Running NBI installs an inject for GMA 950. It's not perfect, but it gets the resolution fixed and YES QE/CI WORKS.

What works:
Wifi
Sound
CI (no QE)
Webcam

What doesn't work:
Sleep

Bojo22

Bojo22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
VoodoHda versions?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy