Speedstep in 10.8

haxzion

29 posts in this topic

Just sharing my experience

It seems that there are some issues with Speedstep and Mountain Lion.

In Lion i get speedstep using a patched bios to avoid KP and a patched stepper program.

This way doesn't work in Mountain Lion tho..

with product name: iMac 12,2 and 12,1

i get this on boot:

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 1

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 2

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 3

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 0

and this from MSRDumper:

4/22/12 7:42:39.000 PM kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

4/22/12 7:42:39.000 PM kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16

stepper issues?

I tried to boot with product name MacBook Pro 8,3 but i got KP

I tried to patch the 12,2 stepper with the one from MacBook Pro 8,3

and it gives me a KP too.

If anyone has to share something on that matter please do...

This won't change anything the problem is not related to AICPUPM

p.s i have tried it already and the system will restart while booting.

Then, the problem is related to AICPM. Because the existent Patch (MSR registers) seems to be insufficient right now for 10.7.4 (11E46) and ML DP2 & DP3.

This is the panic than you should see (reported in AICPM.kext versions 193.0 and 196.0), booting with "UseKernelCache=No" to prevent instant reboot:

http://www.insanelym...4

And, backing to patched AICPM.kext (from 10.7.3) do NOT solve this problem. So, just use NullCPU at moment.

i don't use speedstepper i have a patched bios and i think its not related to AICPM

because if i remove my ssdt.aml and let chameleon do some pstate generation i manage to get 2 pstates.

i bet the solustion is at IOPlatformPluginFamily>>>ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin..

im gonna do some testing :hammer:

because if i remove my ssdt.aml and let chameleon do some pstate generation i manage to get 2 pstates.

Please sorry, are you saying the system boots fine with "GeneratePStates=Yes", and without NullCPU? I have a custom SSDT tables for P-States and C-States.

Also, even with NullCPU, Thanks God I always have C1E (from CPU firmware), but NOT EIST (SpeedStep). I mean just two multipliers, Max (x22) and min (x8).

Please sorry, are you saying the system boots fine with "GeneratePStates=Yes", and without NullCPU?

Yes but with automatic pstate generation i always get some LPC errors so i never use it,

In Lion i get 9 states with the same ssdt while in ML i get only one.That's why my bet is on ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin

Thank You very much for the information! Worked. To avoid LPC errors use GenerateCStates=Yes and DropSSDT=Yes.

I need to correct my opinion about the AICPMPatch, please sorry guys. Because the Patcher - Script by oldnapalm is working very well, as expected... my respect to him. The problem seems coming from the SSDT tables, so now I have NO tables from /Extra, it booting fine, but I have NO readings of P-States, even using GeneratePStates=Yes is NOT working this flag right now. So, I have NO native SpeedStep (EIST) support, but fortunately C1E (Max / min multipliers) is running. I will do more tests with some custom/compatibles SSDT table(s) for P-States. Please sorry my English, and Good Luck.

To avoid LPC errors use GenerateCStates=Yes and DropSSDT=Yes

Nah i have tried that already.Nvm i don't really care about chameleon pstate generation at this point

i just need to find out how to patch the 12,2 stepper in ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin

so i can get more pstates like in Lion.Keep me posted if you have any news.

I noticed this issue too. When I first booted, HWMonitor showed that the CPU was locked at x16 multiplier. The low (~4k) Geekbench score confirmed this. However, after i woke from sleep, the CPU was locked at x41, and Geekbench was showing a normal (~11K) score. Everything is vanilla kext-wise, except for FakeSMC, and I have chameleon generating SSDT.

As for sleep, I was surprised how fast the system powered down! Around 1 second after I clicked "sleep" the fans were already powered down. When I woke it up, I had to enter my password at the login screen (new feature I guess), and a bunch of my drives unmounted improperly. Same as with my Lion install, I only get one sleep per restart. After the first sleep, if I try to sleep again it powers down but wakes up "braindead," and I have to reset the power to boot again.

Using iMac 12,2 SMBIOS and darkwake=0.

I only get one sleep per restart. After the first sleep, if I try to sleep again it powers down but wakes up "braindead," and I have to reset the power to boot again.

Have you patched your Lion iMac12_2.plist in

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext > Contents > Plugins > ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext > Contents > Resources ?

Just sharing my experience

It seems that there are some issues with Speedstep and Mountain Lion.

In Lion i get speedstep using a patched bios to avoid KP and a patched stepper program.

This way doesn't work in Mountain Lion tho..

with product name: iMac 12,2 and 12,1

i get this on boot:

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 1

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 2

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 3

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 0

Please read these

http://www.insanelym...pic=259066&st=0 I got ssdt from this.

outside forum : about P-State Stepper Error 18

I got idea how to fix the error for my CPU_SSDT from this link for my i2500K.

my example may help you get how to (see ssdt.dsl) : Z68XP-UD3R_i2500K.zip

• Like 1

Please read these

http://www.insanelym...pic=259066&st=0 I got ssdt from this.

outside forum : about P-State Stepper Error 18

I got idea how to fix the error for my CPU_SSDT from this link for my i2500K.

my example may help you get how to (see ssdt.dsl) : Z68XP-UD3R_i2500K.zip

already did.

Are you saying that the speedstep problem in 10.8 can be solved wtih revoboot?

Can you post some results?

Thank You very much! That trick by Revogirl applied to my SSDT table solved all my problems with PStates - native SpeedStep. Now is working beautiful, and all multipliers are working from the corrected SSDT table.

Just I added the only one (in my case) missed P-State. In the capture marked blue:

Captura de pantalla 2012-04-24 a la(s) 14.52.02.png

The P-State 2100 Mhz (taking values from 2200 Mhz), added the "Apple power management software" expected = 15. Previously, the factory SSDT table was jumping from 14 to 16. Easy, but a very very effective fix found... Of course BIG THANKS, AND ALL CREDITS TO Revogirl. Cheers.

I fixed my SSDT using the Revogirl guide but in ML i get only 2 pstates,16 and 32.

With the same ssdt in Lion i get native speedstep without any problems.

OK i have a little update..

With the fixed SSDT and using the stepper from macbook pro 8,3 i get native speedstep at ML

PStatesReached: 16 19 23 27 31 32 33

Is there a way to get speedstep without patching the imac 12,2 stepper?

Have you patched your Lion iMac12_2.plist in

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext > Contents > Plugins > ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext > Contents > Resources ?

I was under the impression that this was for ASUS motherboards only. My computer speedsteps fine (Lion only) and sleeps fine once (ML + Lion). What I can't figure out is what changes between sleep #1 and sleep #2...

I only get one sleep per restart. After the first sleep, if I try to sleep again it powers down but wakes up "braindead," and I have to reset the power to boot again.

That's because hard disk ejected.

• 2 months later...