Need help with 10.6.8 update

bgrubb7

41 posts in this topic

If you haven't updated Chameleon from the ModUSB installation, that is definitely your issue; that version is too old. Use this. Just run a standard install.

Not sure what you mean?

i thinki confused dsdts with someoenelses.

seems he has root uid 0 when in dsdt shows 0x04.

try this dsdt as a start

i think if u specify pci rootuid 4 it might load without the dsdt

So type PCIRootUID=4 at the boot prompt. :)

There seems to be an ATi framebuffer error...not quite sure about that. Looks like a memory allocation issue for your graphics card...odd enough. I'll see what I can find.

Finally got back to working on this... The PCIRootUID=4 didn't change anything (neither did trying 1,2 or 3).

Out of sheer boredom, and since I couldn't even boot back into Snow Leopard, I decided to just start over. I reinstalled Snow Leopard from scratch, updated to 10.6.8, added the npci=0x2000 to my bootlist, updated the Chameleon, created my Lion boot partition and now this is where I am at... at least I am getting past that Memory Allocation Error in my previous pic.

When I try to boot from the Lion install partition:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-byMCHSKt9dw/T5dA4DZgpdI/AAAAAAAABy8/FA5sS1u7dbg/s512/IMG_20120424_190838.jpg

When I try to boot into 10.8.6:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Q7cojSDXNXA/T5dCkpDIc-I/AAAAAAAABzE/nbZrAIg9n0Y/s512/IMG_20120424_191613.jpg

Same issue for both - exactly what Latin said, your data controller is not being loaded.

Are you booting with or without arch=i386?

Same issue for both - exactly what Latin said, your data controller is not being loaded.

Are you booting with or without arch=i386?

I am now! arch=i386 got me back into SL... Yay! that was one of the flags I added to my boot.plist after the 10.6.8 updte, but now I see that I lost the use of that once I updated the Chameleon. :rolleyes:

However, when I try to boot into the Lion install partition, using that same flag, I end up here.

That's some progress, right? :)

well i saw applebcm4xxx in there. .that needs max_valid_dma_addr=1024.

many issues likely cause of install source or changes.

imac8,1 smbios.plist might not help.

That was from the ModUSB install... I think that's what it picked after detecting my Integrated Ethernet... I'll try that flag at boot to see if it helps me get into the Lion install partition...

Actually I just scored a free Nvidia 7300 GS. If I can get QE/CI to work with it in Snow Leopard, I'll be happy leaving this machine at 10.6.8, while I collect components for a proper Lion build down the road.

7300 GS may also work in Lion...I'd have to check. Some Geforce 7xxx cards work...

Try typing GraphicsEnabler=Yes to enable QE/CI.

Very good to know. :) Thanks Latin.

So basically you can have QE/CI if you boot with arch=i386. Unfortunately, no x86_64, but if you boot with -force64 arch=i386 you should be able to get 64-bit userspace on it (just 32-bit kernel and extensions).

OK QE/CI Working! :smoke:

I tried several injector kexts, but the only one I could get to work was NVEnabler 0.1.kext. Installed using Kext Wizard, then used the wizard to rebuild the mkext and now I am in business... Front Row, Dashboard Ripples, resolution change... even SLEEP!

hmm... maybe now I might give that Lion install another try...