Need help with 10.6.8 update

bgrubb7

41 posts in this topic

Needing help with the 10.6.8 update.

My machine specs are in my sig below...

Using the ModUSB and 10.6.3 retail, I was able to get everything working out of the box, with ModUSB detecting what I needed during install. The only thing I needed to select was the Legacy Kernel.

I tried the 10.6.8 combo update through the Software Update, but it hangs on the Apple Logo during restart. I tried booting as Single User to no avail... I then booted in verbose and this is where it stops...

IMG_20120418_223049.jpeg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Another note: you don't need the legacy kernel. You can use mach_kernel, as your Pentium is based on the Core architecture. With that said, boot with

mach_kernel -v npci=0x2000

That did it Pooky. Thanks! Once I used the mach_kernel after the 10.6.8 update, it went!

I guess I didn't understand the mach_kernel thing at first... I was originally trying to get 10.6.3 working with mach_kernel, but had no such luck. I needed the legacy kernel to get 10.6.3 to work, but once I got to 10.6.8, I needed to use the mach_kernel, right?

Now that I've got 10.6.8 working, am I a candidate for Lion?

I would think considering your CPU that you could use mach_kernel in every SL release...my theory is that sometimes when mach_kernel is used on the DVD, it behaves strangely but after installation there are no issues. :) I had that my first installation on my Core 2 Quad (and I also have 10.6.3).

You indeed are a candidate for Lion. :) If you download Lion from the App Store I'd be happy to guide you through.

Yes, I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I was planning on trying the MultiBeast method, unless you think there is a better route...

I'll take any advice I can get :) I'll be downloading the install app from the app store today :)

I to just installed my snow leopard but was wondering if Lion is actually worth the trouble...I have been looking around and speed wise snow leopard is a lil bit faster but lion has more apps :) So im undetermined if i wanna make the switch or not. Im running a lenovo y530 2.20 ghz model. Im downloading lion from the app store since i could always use it in the future and its only 30 bucks :)

Another note: you don't need the legacy kernel. You can use mach_kernel, as your Pentium is based on the Core architecture. With that said, boot with

mach_kernel -v npci=0x2000

What to I need to do to make that fix permanent, so I don't have to type that in every reboot?

smurfy, I would recommend Lion if are willing to deal with the lack of PowerPC applications (a.k.a. any application created before 2006; right-click -> Get Info each app in question and it will say beside type "Application (PowerPC)" if it is a PPC app). I personally waited to upgrade because as a long time Mac user I have collected quite a few PPC applications, but now I have converted to many Intel/Universal applications and thus have upgraded to Lion, but I keep an extra SL installation ready whenever I may need the occasional PPC app. The only other issue might be printer software upgrades (only for some printers); the Lion upgrade might remove your printer software, upon which you can simply reinstall the software. :)

bgrubb, here's the thing - I don't like using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] because it often breaks one's system and it also comes from an untrustworthy source (tony mac will take existing open-source software, make slight changes to it, market it as his own without proper credit, and release as closed-source, meaning no source code is available. Even if software is free, it can still be closed-source if no code is released. Because of the reasons above and the fact that he attempts to make profit out of his solutions many people including myself do not believe he is in the OSx86 spirit). Rant aside, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is only for systems w/out drivers/Chameleon; since you have that working all you have to do is create an installation partition, which is quite easy.

As for making the changes permanent, go to /Extra and drag com.apple.boot.plist onto your desktop. Open the file with TextEdit and look for:

Kernel

legacy_kernel

and change legacy_kernel to mach_kernel. Now right below it you should find:

Kernel Flags

arch=i386

In between the s there might be other flags, but delete arch=i386 and replace it with npci=0x2000:

Kernel Flags

npci=0x2000

Save the file and drag the new version back into /Extra. :)

Your awesome, Pook. That fixed it with a catch. Changing to mach_kernel was fine, but when I changed the arch=i386 to npci=0x2000, I hung here on boot:

IMG_20120420_200120.jpg

Which just so happened to be the exact same spot I was hanging, when I was trying to boot way back in 10.6.3 using mach_kernel...

Anyways... I had to use the

arch=i386 flag at the chameleon boot screen to get back in. Then I just added it back to the plist, using both on the same line:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 npci=0x2000</string>

Now I'm golden... flag free booting! [/snow_leopard_chapter]

-----

So yeah! I'm ready for Lion. I'm armed with my Lion image and am ready to do some damage.

:D

Ya, I probably won't try "the Beast", then...

I downloaded the app from the app store at work, then made a install/recovery dvd

like this. I figured I'd use one of the methods here. Anything else I should know before jumping in?

Aha! I figured out your problem! :gun:

Your data controller's driver is 32-bit only. When you boot, go into /Extra/Extensions, right-click IOATAFamily.kext and select Show Package Contents. Once inside, go to Contents -> PlugIns and tell me what kexts are in there. I can get you 64-bit versions most likely. ;)

As for Lion...the way you made a DVD works best on Macs...it actually complicates things for hackintoshes. The reason is if one boots from InstallESD, it will function like the Install Mac OS Lion app, and simply copy the installation files and reboot! This is fine for a real Mac, but much more difficult for hacks. Try this:

1. Go to Disk Utility.

2. Select your HDD in Disk Utility (not the partition, the drive itself) and click the partition tab.

3. Below your partition scheme, click the "+" button and make the partition 4.7GB and click Apply.

4. Once done, enable hidden files. If you don't know how to, download TinkerTool.

5. In Disk Utility, click the Restore tab.

6. Insert your Lion DVD you created, and drag BaseSystem.dmg from the DVD onto the Source box in Disk Utility.

7. In Disk Utility, drag the new partition you created into Destination and click Restore.

8. Once that's done, go into System/Installation on your new partition and delete the Packages alias.

9. Drag the file kernelcache from the DVD into your new partition, and drag the Packages folder from System/Installation on the DVD to System/Installation on your new partition.

10. Reboot the computer, press a key at the boot prompt, and select your Lion partition. :) You should be able to install.

In that contents folder, I have:

AppleATIATA.kext

AppleATIPATA.kext

Thanks for the Lion install info... that seems simple enough. I think I will hold up on the upgrade until I can get a few issues ironed out on my current SL setup first.

Right now I don't believe I have QE/CI working. I get a black screen on Front Row, and Youtube videos are either Black screened with audio or VERY choppy Audio/Video. Other types of streaming video work fine, but anything YouTube is {censored}. I also can't play DVDs. DVD Player says "Valid Video Device Can Not Be Found.."

Been searching, trying to determine if my Integrated Graphics can support QE/CI or not... or if I'm just missing a kext... Not finding any definitive answers so far.

ATI x200 Chipset. Integrated Video... This is the board.

After a bit of searching the interwebs... It appears that the x200 is just not QE/CI compatible... I guess I will be finding a new video card... any cheap recommendations? Closest thing I can find is a nVidia 8400GS, which should work in 10.6.8, but may not in Lion...

I could go ahead with the Lion install, unless not having QE/CI is going to cause problems in the meantime...

8400 GS works in Lion; so do GeForce 6xxx and 7xxx cards (some, anyway).

My recommendation is a Geforce 9xxx or better. 8xxx series will be fine if you don't do much, but if you want to be ready for the future I'd get 9xxx or higher. This is a very good card, for example. Check here for great nVidia stuff. And if you want to buy third-party, you can go to Amazon or eBay. :)

sata and usb chipset on ati X200 . hmmm pooky he has a non intel or nforce chipset on mobo.. not just video card

which means he might have other issues eventually.. dont expect perfection.

best (cheap) idea is get a G41MT-S2PT ddr3 intel mobo and a video card

True. I'm just giving him temporary advice. ;) He doesn't seem to be experiencing to many issues, except for the 64-bit issue.

LatinMcG does have a good point, though, that Intel is probably going to be the best bet. What you have works, just Intel is better. :)

No, I'm not trying to build a perfect box... I plan on building a stronger setup from scratch later on this summer... but for now, this Optiplex was a free PC, so I'm just seeing how far I can get on as little coin as possible... I'm going to throw the cheapest GeForce 8 or 9 series I can find and see how it goes. Looks like I should be able to score one for around $30.

As always, Thanks for all of the continued help! I wouldn't have gotten this far without you! :D

get dsdt editor in mac and extract.. or if u cant boot mac . do it in linux live like mint or ubuntu

for ubuntulike
sudo apt-get install acpidump iasl

### or for some other linux
sudo yum install pmtools iasl

Then run the following commands on a bash terminal:
mkdir ~/acpiinfo ; cd ~/acpiinfo
sudo acpidump > acpidump.txt
sudo acpixtract acpidump.txt
ls *.dat | while read i; do iasl -d "${i}"; done
name=`sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name`
mkdir "${name}" && cp *.dsl "${name}"/

then zip and save the folder with pc model in /Home folder to mediafire or somewhere

I'v got a working SnowLeopard... I'll give DSDT Editor a whirl...

I did go ahead and try the Lion install partition using Pooky's instructions... First time I tried to boot to it... "can't find mach_kernel" Doh!

So I copied mach_kernel from the Install DVD, to the new partition, but it just boot loops after selecting it in chameleon...

chameleon version. or u need to check steps in detail.

(ive used this steps before) www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

by the way in mac it will extract the current dsdt being used . so if u use macmans.. thats what u will get extracted.

If you haven't updated Chameleon from the ModUSB installation, that is definitely your issue; that version is too old. Use this. Just run a standard install.

by the way in mac it will extract the current dsdt being used . so if u use macmans.. thats what u will get extracted.

Not sure what you mean?