ML DP3 Problems: HDA, Nvdia

25 posts in this topic

Hi,

i am not amused that something major changed in the AppleHDA.kext .

In Ressources there are no more any of the .XML (Layout) files which i used 2 (PLatform + 885) of them to overwrite for my 889A(885) Layout.

Second i tried to run some OpenCL Benches, which run in DP1,2 and Lion and now failed.

Also Unique Heaven OpenGL Bench stalls / fails after starting benchmark.

I have 889A (885) HDA + Nvidia 9600 GT (which normally never fails by OS updates).

I'm getting significantly better scores on Oceanwave and Luxmark2 OpenCL benchmarks, but Unigine Heaven graphics freezes as it launches into fullscreen mode, though the music goes on... and on... only way out seems to be the Reset button. Btw Cuda-Z reports No Cuda. And OpenGL benchmarks seem equally slow as DP2.

I'm also getting new streaky horizontal lines across the video in FaceTime, and some interesting features with drop-down menues and dialogue boxes. My second LED monitor is quite flicky with DP3, at times having to be switched off and restarted.

So far I've just done a quick upgrade from DP2 to DP3, but I'm thinking a clean install might be a good idea.

I thought the xml files were eliminated a few versions ago and layout info is included as part of info.plist either in AppleHDA or AppleHDAcontroller plugin? I copied mine from DP2 and works fine, but usually use M-Audio USB to toslink as it has better default bit rate and works otb. Just checked and onboard spdif out works fine, don't know about analog though. comparing my copied appleHDA with one from DP3 installer, both are the same format, no xml's. ALC892 layout ID 885. Will try some graphics benchmarks now, only did Cinebench so far and same as DP2.

OK, off to a bad start. openGL viewer and cinebench are fine with similar scores to DP2, everything else(Galaxies, Displacement, Luxmark, Unique, wave) either doesn't launch, immediately crashed, or in bash "operation not permitted" Looks like a permission issue on my user folder, migration assistant loves to screw them up for some reason. Not sure if I'll reinstall or fix it all myself, might need a nap first :wallbash:

Hmm, new ATI drivers. All have been renamed to AMD, no more ATI. All loaded including new AMDRadeonAccelorator.kext ver 1.0, which includes Barts, Cayman, ect. My device ID is already included under Cypress, may need to do some more digging

Perhaps, because some new Kextnames added, its an good idea to do in clean install. I overwritten DP2 with Dp3.

(Background: If new kext (like AMD) are added by installing over DP2 the old ones are not deleted = maybe some probs).

But i dont think thats the only problem with DP3, even clean install may give gpu problems because on both sides (AMD+NV) may major changes = less compatible with non Apple GPU types?

But to be honest: Even if ML gives same probs in final, not real prob for me to stay longer (until some fixes End 2012) with LION which works perfect for me.

Hi,

i am not amused that something major changed in the AppleHDA.kext .

In Ressources there are no more any of the .XML (Layout) files which i used 2 (PLatform + 885) of them to overwrite for my 889A(885) Layout.

Second i tried to run some OpenCL Benches, which run in DP1,2 and Lion and now failed.

Also Unique Heaven OpenGL Bench stalls / fails after starting benchmark.

I have 889A (885) HDA + Nvidia 9600 GT (which normally never fails by OS updates).

applehda for alc889a http://dl.dropbox.co...dp3_alc889a.zip (it uses layoutid12- 0x0c)

(you need to uncompress the zlib in ressources folder to xml - modd them -and compress them again)

my gtx275 works just fine in dp3 - i modded applegraphicspowermangement.kext (device id)

I am in a bit of strange situation. Starting with MountainLion (DP1 & DP2) I was able to get native 6970 support but not on it's own. I had to boot from 8600GT, that will in turn start both 6970 and 8600 GT card. I would only get a white screen if I boot from 6970 alone. So I kept my 8600GT to boot from.

With dp3 the whole setup has gone nuts. While I was able to run the installer just fine, now I only get a white screen on 6970 and boot console stuck on 8600 GT. I have already removed ATIRadeonAccelrator.kext.

Strangely I am able to boot fine if it boot using -x (using the same dual card setup explained earlier), full resolution and all ports working but I loose 3D acceleration.

I concluded there is some additional Kext is being loaded in DP3 which is screwing up the boot in normal boot.

I would really appreciate if somebody could let me know what I am missing.

Thanks

I did a fresh install of DP3 (and migrated data from my old DP2 install). Tried overwriting the graphics kexts (Geforce, NVDA, AppleGraphics etc) with the DP2 versions but all I got was a black screen with green triangles. I'm back on DP2 until there's some way of getting Fermi working again.

So you can run any of the OpenCL Benches and Unique Heaven OpenGL Benchmark?

Both not working for me (worked in DP2) - only OpenGL Extensions Viewer Test works.

Mitch, did you try Unique Heaven OpenGL Benchmark in FULL screen ?

Works for me that way, but windowed 800x600 does NOT work ... :wacko:

No, fullscreen in Heaven Bench not tested, only windowed.

I now again installed DP3 clean - but no changes.

Q: Thanks for the infos to use that modded .zlib XML layout files.

But in my install , i have no .zlib in the ressources of AppleHDA?! So are they added by the modd ?

Heaven bench has only worked in full screen for me since dp1. Ati 5870 works OTB with or without graphics enabler but uses default generic framebuffer without ge but performance seems better than with ge and uakari, early probs i had turned out to be caused by unarchiver app screwing up anything it unzips so using built in archive util. Galaxies has no text for current gflops or renderer, just speed guage. Tried Skyrim, Diablo 3 beta, MW2, Dirt2, all look great and smooth, which I guess is more important than benchmarks. Hopefully everyone will get thiers sorted and working, maybe compare new and old graphicspowermanagement?

Just use layout id 66, no need to mod anything.

Also my video works 100%

I am using Clover of course :thumbsup_anim:

Yes it works for me, but only 3 outputs and 2 inputs. Headphones, Line In, Digital In, Line Out & Digital Out.

Yes it works for me, but only 3 outputs and 2 inputs. Headphones, Line In, Digital In, Line Out & Digital Out.

or patching yourself

Thanks and credit to revogirl for zlib.pl script (using Google)

and

using stock layout-id instead, i.e, 12

Any clues as to what's going on with the fermi cards? Even with a fresh install I had corruption straight away (first desktop load after completing setup wizard). I also tried using a DSDT injection in place of chameleon graphics enabler, but no change.

I've tried different FakeSMC/IntelCPUMonitor versions and updated chameleon from 1897 to ermac's latest 1925 build. Nothing has worked so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I seen that, using Nvidia 9600 GT that wrong NV100Hal.kext (fermi gpu only) was loaded - beside the normal (non fermi) NV50HAL.kext, which was correkt loaded.

Kextstat shows that.

Maybe one of the reason i got major problems.

So check also if perhaps wrong kext loaded too.

I simple deleted NV100Hal.kext , the not used one to avoid that loading and erases all kext cache before reboot.

For me, i never had to add dev id into nv kexts - only using graphicsenabler. So something must change in the NV kext handling since DP3 / DP3 update.

• 2 weeks later...

I got that slow rendering problem in dp3. However, after getting the second mountain lion dp3 update 2, the problem was solved. I'm not sure how many people got that fixed. Please share your experience. =]

My Nvidia Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX460OC 1G

I got that slow rendering problem in dp3. However, after getting the second mountain lion dp3 update 2, the problem was solved. I'm not sure how many people got that fixed. Please share your experience. =]

My Nvidia Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX460OC 1G

As you said i installed DP3 2nd preview and now the resolution is back to normal.NVhal50.kext loaded and registered.

Thanks a lot

• 3 weeks later...