Chameleon results in restart-loop on AMD machine

8 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have tried to turn my Desktop AMD machine (specs below) into a Hackintosh because of my great experiences with my MacBook Pro.

I have followed this guide http://www.osx86.net/desktops/9746-guide-os-x-10-6-amd.html.

The guide in short form:

1. Burn Nawcom ModCD

2. Boot from Nawcom ModCD

3. Insert OSX Snow Leopard

4. Follow OSX install wizard

5. Install Chameleon

Although i run into a problem every time i try to boot my computer with Chameleon. I can start the computer with Nawcom ModCD without any problem, but i can't get the GraphicsEnabler=YES feature without using chameleon. The use of a boot cd is very temporary and I don't think i can get my graphics card to function correctly without Chameleon.

My computer doesn't show any errors during boot, but freezes with the apple logo on the screen (no spinning things or obvious kernel panics). When started in verbose mode it flashes some text for about 0,3 secs and then black screen (computer doesn't shut down). I was able to get the last part of the text by recording it with my camera (see attachment). I can get more of the text if needed, but normally the last lines is the most important, right?

My System:

CPU: Amd Phenom II x4 965 (OC'ed but 100% stable)

MOBO: Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H

GFX: XFX ati 5850 (OC'ed but 100% stable)

RAM: 3x 2Gb OCZ 1333Mhz cl7

The white box on the attachment is because my credit card was on the table when i snapped the photo :) incase someone was wondering.

post-600790-0-82382500-1334597656_thumb.png

The plist actually stated "legacy_kernel", but i changed it to "mach_kernel" without changing the result. I have tried copying the "legacy_kernel" from the boot disk without any luck either.

I got a little closer look on the boot disk and i actually says it is the Chameleon bootloader, just on a disk.

The problem should be in the Chameleon version installed on my HDD. Can i somehow transfer the settings from the disk to the HDD?

Any other ideas?

You should use legacy_kernel. But the org.chameleon.plist / com.apple.boot.plist should point to the legacy_kernel:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>legacy_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
// your specific stuff ...
</dict>
</plist>

You should use legacy_kernel. But the org.chameleon.plist / com.apple.boot.plist should point to the legacy_kernel:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>legacy_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
// your specific stuff ...
</dict>
</plist>

Now i have tried all sorts of things and now i end up with completely different "symptoms". I have attached a picture.

I get a message at startup that i shouldn't use the "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" instead of "com.apple.Boot.plist"

Everytime i reset my computer, the BIOS gets reset.

Maybe i should start a new thread, as the original problem is not present anymore?