Lion install with modded bios ASRock P45

inertia_djs

1 post in this topic

Hi everyone,

I currently run a Leopard install on my setup which I made about 4 years ago, in which I followed a tutorial to manually modify the DSDT table (using WinHEX, MMTools etc) in my bios and re-flash it. The only modification I made was to remove the ALIAS lines from the DSDT table so that it recognised all 4 cores. This all went well and I have been happily using it without upgrading, as of course it would break the install.

Now I'd quite like to upgrade to Lion, and have bought the installer from the App Store, but was wondering what my best install option is, so thought I'd put it out here. I've been reading up on the options (as the methods have completely changed since 2008), and have a couple of questions. So should I: (BTW My setup is detailed below).

a) Re-flash the bios to an original (unmodified) and install with say, multi_bst... The problem I foresee with this is that there isn't a DSDT file in the tony_dsdt database, so I'll have to make my own anyway.

b ) Keep my modded bios (or modify it further) and install chameleon, then do a couple of kext patches afterwards.

c) Another option (XPC / myhack etc)?

I'm really looking for it to be a solid system in the end (with reliable RAID & sleep). I'm not looking for the "easy and quick method", I don't mind putting the leg-work in, just want to make sure I start off on the right tracks.

So my question is really:

Is my best option to read up on DSDT and SMBIOS modification and further modify my bios to make it as apple-like as possible, because that way when I do a major update it will still be seen by the operating system as the same, and I'll have to fix fewer kexts? Or are there some major problems with this idea that I'm not seeing and should I save myself a lot of time and go with a mainstream method such as multi_bst?

Mobo: ASRock P45R2000 (P45, LGA775, ICH10R)

CPU: Q6700

GFX: HD 2600 XT (Gigabyte)

RAM: 2gb DDR3 Ballistix

HD1: OCZ 60gb [system Drive]

HD2/3: 2 x 500gb WD drives in RAID 1 (mirror)

Cheers