GeForce 9800 GTX - power problem or card problem?

PookyMacMan

25 posts in this topic

Hi all. :)

I have myself a BFG Tech GeForce 9800 GTX (BFGR98512GTXE) that I want to use, but it requires two PCIe power connectors and my PSU has one. Therefore I purchase a 2-molex-to-PCIe adapter so the card will be properly powered. However when I plug everything in and power on the machine, the GPU fan goes berserk (runs full speed) and the motherboard reports a monitor/graphics card error, which I've gotten when I haven't plugged in the power in the card. I have a Rosewill RV2-500 PSU; is the card still underpowered or is the graphics card failing?

Thank you. :)

9800GTX is very WATT hungry - indeed that is maybe the problem.

Also did you buyed it new or used (ebay) ? Lots of 8800GTX (=9800GTX) fail after some time.

PS: Its normal that some gpus speed up fan at starttime at full speed - they reduce it at the time of system got loaded.

My wife's PC has a 450 watt PSU and my old 9800 GTX+, also with an adapter for the second power plug.

It works fine - although the 9800 GTX+ is a die-shrunk version of the 9800 GTX and so it uses less power then the 9800 GTX.

500 Watts should be plenty I would think. But if the power supply is old maybe it's not able to deliver anymore.

You can solder in new capacitors yourself if the old ones are shot. Unless the problem is with some other component, this will bring the PSU back to factory specs. Look for bulging or leaking caps inside the PSU and replace them. It's a bit fiddly because of the tight space, but with some patience and the right tools it can be done, you don't have to be an electronics expert for this task.

It's a good idea to practice soldering and de-soldering on a broken circuit board first however.

Desolder the busted caps, take them to your electronics store and ask for identical ones. Make sure to note the polarity, component values and placement, I recommend taking photos of the PCB to help you remember what goes where. I've somehow managed to pull this off twice, I've even fixed an old Geforce 2 Ti video card this way. It's very satisfying.

But first you need to determine if the problem is with the video card or the PSU.

I would try another PSU (or install the video card in another PC) to see if the same thing happens.

mitch, I got it used but the person said it was like-new.

Gringo, that might be a good idea...the PSU is brand-new, so I don't think the PSU has bad caps, but maybe the GPU? I'd have to take off the heatsink, but that might be something to look at...I've replaced iMac G5 caps before, so I might be able to pull it off if necessary. :)

I'm going to be going over to my bro's place over the weekend and test it in his PC...he's been using a 9800 GT with either a 550 or 600W PSU (he doesn't remember what he has :P), so hopefully we'll see what's wrong.

If the graphics card does turn out to be failing, is there possibly anything I can do?

Well, that of course depends on your talents, and what is wrong with it.

Usually all a mere mortal can do is replace capacitors, the rest is surface mount which you need special tools and l33t skills to replace.

Even a brand new PSU can have bad caps. Pop the lid and take a quick look, can't hurt.

• Like 1

Thanks, I will do that. :)

Would you recommend a chisel tip for replacing the caps (if they're bad)? It'll be lead-free, right?

I don't know if a chisel tip will make a difference. I use the one that came with my iron. No idea what it's made of honestly.

I apply a spring loaded solder sucker while heating with the iron. Once you remove enough, the little bastards pop right out.

Soldering/de-soldering is a {censored}, you always seem to be a hand short.

Toys.jpg

I can echo that last statement!! :P

I was wondering because I have a tiny cone tip, and when I did the iMac caps it didn't heat up enough to loosen the solder well (and my iron is 60W), and everyone was using a chisel tip for the iMac caps.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I purchased a brand-new Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU from Newegg - after some time I coaxed the mobo to POST, but that's it; beyond that is pixelation and other issues. So, I have concluded that the 9800 GTX is toasted...

Now here's the thing: I found a nice deal locally on a GeForce GTX 285 (that's the exact card - seems to be a special edition), but the requirements state:

575W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 42A or more

*Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition processor

The EarthWatts PSU has 2x 38A +12V rails. Does the 12V current rating of 42A or more apply to each rail (insufficient as mine has 38A per) or to both rails together (plenty enough as mine is 76A combined)?

I'm reading "combined" as your two 12V lines combined...I'm trying to think of what else it could mean and I can't come up with anything.. :grin:

Make sure you can identify the separate 12 volt lines. If the PSU has two video card power connectors then it's a no-brainer of course.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because I have an older 420W PSU here that says it has separate 12V lines but it has only one video card connector and several ordinary molex connectors. To this day I still have no idea which is the other 12V line. But I'm probably being a PSU noob..maybe it's all of them?

EDIT

I've since read up on this - two lines usually means that the 12V line to the CPU is separate.

• Like 1

I'm more of a PSU noob than you are. :D Thanks for the advice. My PSU does have two PCIe power connectors.

• 3 weeks later...

Baking?? Like in the oven??

Anyway, I've decided to sell the 9800 GTX in favor of the GTS 250...thanks though. :)

Holy {censored}, I just saw some videos of people doing this!! :shock: That's amazing!

@ PookyMacMan, Just do It, I have done it before and it really simple and worked for me perfectly (back in the days I had a 8800GTX). It's already broken so It would not hurt anyway ;) and don't buy a GTS250 that's a renamed 9800GTX+, and it's old, (I had one already 2,5 years ago). If you have a budget from around $100 go for a GTX550 ti 3GB from Club 3D.

I've sold the 9800 GTX, so that's that. :)

I'm aware that it's a rebranded 9800 GTX+. I don't need super graphics power; I only have ~$50 anyway. I just need something to perform decently. :)

Yeah, I really wanted a GTX 260...couldn't find any in my budget, though. I'm happy with the GTS 250 for now. :) I'll definitely upgrade later.

• 1 month later...

Well, the dude on eBay never payed up...so I still have the 9800 GTX. For fun I'm gonna try baking it and I'll see what happens. :)

Maybe I can sell the (hopefully working) 9800 GTX and this GTS 250 to get a GTX 260 or something...

• 3 months later...

Never got back to y'all. :)

After baking, the card was still non-functional. Finally someone bought and paid for it, so that's gone. Now, however, I can upgrade substantially. :D Just got a 1 GB GTX 460!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

:D

When my bro's GTS 250 dies (yes, he inherited it from me after I got the 460), maybe I 'll just have to send it to you. ;)

• Like 1