How do you make an iAtkos L2 bootable DVD?

naton

16 posts in this topic

Hi

Is there a specific method for burning iAtkos L2 DMG file into a 4.7GB DVD?

I've tried with two DMG files, 2 DVD-RW DVDs, and 4 DVD-R DVDs. I tried with two laptops and both are complaining that the DVDs are not bootable.

I'm using Windows. I tried to burn the DMG file with all of the following programs: nero, CDBurnerXP, UltraISO. I checked the checksum of the image file and it's correct. I tried burning the file by manually changing the file extension from ".dmg" to ".iso". I also tried by saving the file as ".iso" using MagicIso.

I can open and extend the file using TransMac too. I burned the image file with 3 different computers.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong!?

Thanks

I think you need a mac to burn it, i never saw someone who made it possible with a windows PC or any application, for myself i tried it ages with windows but it never worked for me then i used my dad's macbook air... try to access a mac somewhere, sadly that it is so big, so i cant upload a .iso for you :(

After opening this thread, I tried burning iAtkos using Transmac, and it is working now. I was lucky as today is the last day of the 15 days trial period of Transmac :)

Guys, does anyone knows why converting the ".dmg" file to a ".iso" doesn't work?

It would be much more easier for people without access to a Mac or a Hackintosh to burn an ISO file than a DMG file.

Guys, does anyone knows why converting the ".dmg" file to a ".iso" doesn't work?

It would be much more easier for people without access to a Mac or a Hackintosh to burn an ISO file than a DMG file.

I don't think the issue is that it "doesn't" work, but rather the fact that the .iso is a Mac/PC hybrid ISO, so it's probably just the lack of support from Windows to burn those type of discs properly, hence the need for Transmac.

mastastealth, thanks for the reply.

I managed to instal Mac OS X 10.7.2 via iAtkos L2 on an Acer Aspire 4315. Initially I didn't had the right screen resolution. I had to re-install the Intel GMA 965 (i.e. x3100) drivers. They can be downloaded from www.osx86.net. I still have to figure out how to get the intel 3945ABG to work in Lion. Also, I have to test and check that the Ethernet is working. It's made by yukon and I can see that it's drivers were installed when I installed iAtkos.

• 2 months later...

I have downloaded transmac to burn iATKOS L2 DVD from my vista PC.

I am seeing various posts online and I see many people face issues.

I am confused about:

1) Should I expand the dmg file? If yes, it will increase in size, right? The current size is 4.35 GB. So I would probably need 8 GB of DVD?

2) Any specific options I need to select in transmac to get it right?

3) Do I also have to write the checksum (md5) file to the dvd in order for it to work?

If anyone has tried it successfully please write the steps involved.

Or would it be good to convert to iso first, then burn using my favorite windows dvd writer?

Thanks for your time,

-vividcode

I already wrote a DVD just for trying sake using transmac - expanded the dmg image and then burned. It finished successfully, but I see only 800 kb used space on my disk under windows property box.

Will this be usable bootable for Lion?

@LionM - thanks - if all else fails I will try that path.

I already wrote a DVD just for trying sake using transmac - expanded the dmg image and then burned. It finished successfully, but I see only 800 kb used space on my disk under windows property box.

Will this be usable bootable for Lion?

Windows can't read the HFS+ formatting on the DVD so you can't see any of the files there from Windows. You only see the boot files that were put there in a Windows-friendly format.

• Like 1

OK - here is the last progress: I successfully wrote iAtkos L2 dmg file (unexpanded) to a dvd media.

Changed Boot sequence to start from dvd.

Booted using this DVD.

Installation is frozen at Apple logo screen - wait cursor has stopped moving. DVD drive has stopped blinking too.

I saw some bootloader commands (http://www.osx86.net/10-7-lion/16399-iatkos-l2-stuck-apple-logo-screen.html) that can help troubleshoot but I don't know how and when to launch them.

Any help?

-

Type them at the boot loader screen.

When you see the GUI, press F8 to interrupt the boot process, type the necessary flags and hit enter.

Always boot in verbose mode (-v) until your system is stable.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...