HDDs are SATA, but Optical drive is IDE resulting in 'Still waiting for root device...' error?

B.L.E.A.K

43 posts in this topic

Ok, I have two HDDs. I disconnect the MS one before doing anything. So is there still a possibility that MS is controlling the system (or BIOS for that matter)?

Secondly, HOW did you know it is MBR, cause one of the tutorial says it needs to be MBR and it is.

I thought the Mac Drive is supposed to be GUID? And the flash drive one is supposed to be MBR for it to boot in the beginning. I guess I was wrong (for the #873th time :wallbash:)

Thirdly, now quite sure what you mean by HFS+Journaled format?

When I am editing the USB, this is all I see:Format.jpg

Which one would you recommend, and once again, isn't HFS+ Journaled for the "disk" more than the "drive". I mean the HDD partition should be HFS+ Journaled (from what I remember)?

And Gringo, one more thing: I have somehow managed to convince my father for an overall system upgrade. WOuld you be kind enough to suggest a couple of things like a Mobo and graphics card?

I would be really obliged.

HOW did you know it is MBR, cause one of the tutorial says it needs to be MBR and it is.

Well for one, "BootMGR missing" is a dead giveaway.

I don't care what the tutorial says, your installation target hard drive and your Lion USB installer should be GUID partitioned, HFS+J.

If you click the "Partition" button and create a new partition, and the flash drive was MBR before, it'll still be MBR partitioned, but now with a HFS+J partition on it. This is not what you want, and that is the reason why you were still seeing the "BootMGR missing" message - creating a new partition on a drive doesn't do anything to its boot sector (and it isn't supposed to).

If you look closely, your Youtube screenshot shows someone erasing a partition, this is wrong. He has an existing partition selected, not the drive itself.

You need to "Erase" the flash drive. In the left pane, select the drive itself - not a partition on it - then click the "Erase" button and select "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" in the "format" drop down box.

After doing that, you'll notice that, with the flash drive selected on the left pane, "partition map scheme" at the bottom of the screen has now changed to "GUID Partition Table" which is what you want.

I repeat: The same thing should be done for your target installation hard drive.

WOuld you be kind enough to suggest a couple of things like a Mobo and graphics card?

I don't recommend hardware because I don't want anyone to hold me responsible if they can't get it to work.

Besides, I don't keep up with modern motherboards and video cards until I can afford to buy them.

• Like 1

As you said: "The drive that holds your Lion Installer should be GUID, HFS+Journaled non-case sensitive and you need to format and prepare it with Disk Utility. You can do this on a Mac or working Hackintosh."

My question is the bold bit. I couldn't find this anywhere in the Disk Utility. Here:

Format2.jpgIn this pic, the Drive is selected and not the partition. Still I can't see the "HFS+ Journaled" option. I know what you are saying, and I remember it too from my OS X Leopard days, but can't recollect where exactly this option lies. As in the above screenie, there is no "HFS+ Journaled".

But I will figure this out tomorrow at office.

Thanks again Gringo. And, one more thing, I would never hold any one up for a screw up as you only tried to help me. But I really owe you one man. Thanks for all the patience and putting up with n00bs like us.

The little tag under your name, 'Moderator', suits you every bit.

Thanks again. :)

Made is GUID/Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Hoping it will work. And for testing purposes, have put only the Injector in Extra/Extensions. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: I DID IT Gringo Vermelho!! I DID IT!!

BUT BUT BUT Its just half the battle won. Though I am now on the 'Flying Welcomes' screen, my keyboard and mouse have stopped working.

Now what do you suggest. More kexts??

Thanx so so much. I really had lost all hope had it not been for your last post.

Plz help!

Hi thanx for your reply.

It's a Retail copy of Lion. As I get the screen where I have to pick the drive to boot from, the Apple logo and then the 'Flying Welcomes' screen. It is the Apple screen where my PS/2 Keyboard and mouse freeze.

Where will I see 'Customize'?

Edit: Should I also anticipate Nvidia 9400GT graphic card issues as well and put the necessary Kexts in advance.

Waiting for Gringo to reply.

The "customize" he's referring to is found on hacked install DVDs/distros, this is where you select which kernel extensions and patches you will be using before installing OS X on your PC. Obviously the retail installer (or DVD) does not have this.

The equivalent of the "customize" section on a hacked install DVD is the Chameleon boot loader's /Extra folder on your Lion installer and its contents.

Add PS2 drivers to Extra/Extensions on your Lion installer. Google/forum search to see what's available, experiment with different ones until you find some that work. I can't help you with that, I haven't used PS2 input devices since the last century.

Or you can just hook up USB mouse and keyboard and be done with it.

Ok Installed successfully!

But again, the mouse and keyboard don't work. It is at the 'Before you begin' screen. And the System/CoreServices/ seupassistant.app file isnt there. This I checked while.making thethe USB disk.

A USB mouse would work??

But any permanent solution for PS/2?

Plz help...

It was an old post I guess. BUt now I can very much run OS X. Strangely it is showing me a combo update or something. I guess to version 1.7.2 or 3 I don't know. I am not going to do it for a while. Will wait for Mountain Lion and then begin work towards it after the early/first reviews start coming in.

But I owe you a big one Gringo Vermelho. You have been very patient, helpful and very very kind. Not once have you spoken rudely to a complete n00b like me. If you ever plan to come to India, a chilled beer awaits you here. :)

Big Big thanks to you and all who held my hand through this. :trumpet::thumbsup_anim:

If it's showing you the 10.7.3 update, it means that you used an older version of the Lion installer instead of the latest one.

You should try to get your Lion installation working from an internal hard drive instead of USB.

People are already experimenting with Mountain Lion Developer Preview, and we have a dedicated forum for it. Visit there to get a head start. I haven't followed it closely but as far as I remember there are no outstanding issues with Mountain Lion, if Lion works, Mountain Lion will work as well. Unless of course Apple decides change something at the last minute when they release it to the mainstream.

I've never been to India, I'd love to go some day. I have a few friends who traveled to India, most went for fun, but one is a percussionist who went to study Tabla playing. He told me that they have you learn all the sounds that you can make, sort of like the alphabet of the drum, for a whole year, before they let you actually play. I thought that was pretty cool.

• Like 1

Yea, am going to follow the Mountain Lion forum closely. I am not much into music, but yes I have a cousin who has learned it more or less in the way you described it. But I definitely owe you one Gringo. Thanks a megaton!

Next up: Mountain Lion!